Author Topic: Spencer Cavalry Carbine  (Read 2706 times)

Offline Mike Oscar Hotel

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Cavalry Carbine
« on: January 04, 2016, 10:28:59 PM »
Hi Folks,

I came seeking information.  I picked up what I believe is a Model 1895 Spencer Cavalry carbine, but it's a little hard to make out because of some pitting.  Serial # is 6446.  I've read the serial # disclaimer.  Any additional info would be appreciated.

http://1drv.ms/1O7I39l

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
Re: Spencer Cavalry Carbine
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2016, 11:55:54 PM »
Looking at the photos on the link, that appears to be an 1865 carbine. On the other hand, I'm frequently wrong, even about simple things.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2016, 11:19:48 AM »
Lots of nice photos--a cheesecake gallery of Spencer details.

This is a Burnside-manufactured Model 1865.  The Burnside-made carbines had "Model 1865" stamped on the top of the receiver perpendicular to the barrel.  The 1865 model carbines produced by the Spencer company had "M 1865" stamped on the barrel rather than the receiver, and the stamping was parallel to the barrel.  The other details of your carbine (beveled receiver top, ribbing on the magazine tube cap, beveled hammer nose) all appear consistent with a Burnside carbine, as does the Stabler cutoff (the little half-wingnut in front of the trigger), although some Burnsides do not have the cutoff.

Burnside production started near the very end of the Civil War and I believe it is generally thought that they were not actually fielded before armed hostilities ended.  They were, however, quite frequently used during the post-war westward expansion by the military, Indian scouts, and civilians.

Thanks for posting the photos--it's always fun to see the details of another Spencer.

--DJ

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:23:20 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com