Author Topic: Now that's gittin' cold ....  (Read 3954 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Now that's gittin' cold ....
« on: December 31, 2015, 11:17:50 AM »
A balmy -28*C (-20*F) this morning after a clear, frosty night. But - no wind and not a cloud to be seen. It doesn't seem to get any colder than -25*C. After that, it's just cold.
Fitting for the last day of the year. That means once it warms up a bit, I'll be able to continue with burning brush piles and going x-country skiing on the lake.

After our last snow fall left 18" of new snow on top of what we already had, I spent a lot of time on my babiche/wood frame snow shoes making a trail. My wife tried a pair of the high tech aluminum/plastic snow shoes and we ended up giving them away and buying her a pair of the REAL ones like mine.

Some things just can't be improved on, like great guns.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Now that's gittin' cold ....
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2016, 11:25:47 AM »
Same same today,  -28*C. When it warmed up to -18*c yesterday, the dogs and I went x-country skiing. I lasted one hour as again I had forgotten to stuff a hand warmer in both my mitts.

Not a cloud in the sky and no wind. That's always the killer. I really enjoy feeding the birds during cold stretches like this.

"A sparrow, falling frozen from it's perch, will die never having known self pity."   T.S. Eliot  (I think)
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:34:47 PM »
Only -3C here in Whiterock. No snow, but the hummingbird feeder froze up. Poor birds were were at a loss when they couldn't find it as SIL brought it inside to thaw.

I get The Cyprus Mail on facebook, and it says that Nicosia had snow today! Happens about once per generation!
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:23:45 PM »

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 07:34:07 PM »
After a December of 50's and 60's we finally got cold, 30 today and windy, no snow though and looks like we may not get much of the white stuff in the next couple weeks just cold. Thanks El Nino, you'all can come around whenever ya want! ::)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 06:05:44 PM »
Another sunny day with -28*C temps, warming up to -15*C, so of course, me and the dogs went x-country skiing.

I put a hand warmer in each mitt and wore glove liners as well. That worked for my fingers, but my thumbs still got COLD and I had to pause several times to warm them and negate the pain.

In addition, the sun had warmed a layer under the snow and I hit wet spots necessitating scraping the ice of my skis twice. But - it beats sitting indoors and whining about the cold and puttering with little "honey-do" projects.

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016, 12:39:26 PM »
Another sunny day with -28*C temps, warming up to -15*C, so of course, me and the dogs went x-country skiing.

I put a hand warmer in each mitt and wore glove liners as well. That worked for my fingers, but my thumbs still got COLD and I had to pause several times to warm them and negate the pain.

In addition, the sun had warmed a layer under the snow and I hit wet spots necessitating scraping the ice of my skis twice. But - it beats sitting indoors and whining about the cold and puttering with little "honey-do" projects.

We were supposed to have a Chinook in Alberta today and tomorrow that was going to bring us into the +'s but, it didn't come about.  Maybe next week.javascript:void(0);
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 03:35:26 PM »
We were having a strange warm spell in NM, then the snow hit the fan just before Christmas . We had a storm follow I-40 from arizona to texas. As it went into TX and OK, it turned to rain squalls and tornados!

I-10 and southeast NM was hit hard. Roswell and Carlsbad has no snow removal gear. Natl Guard called in  ( THOSE NOT IN THE SANDBOX) , and citizen snowmobiles dispatched to try to locate lost and snowed over autos. School gyms & etc were opened as emergency shelters.

They  closed I40 from ABQ to the Tejas border for something like a day.... citizens were urged to get off & get a room west of ABQ as everything was filled further east.  I-40 eastbound was literally a parking lot as they closed the hiway and told folks to park it for a day and a half!  rather then try to detour them into ABQ city streets.

I-40 was closed all the way to Amarillo, Texas, because of the snowstorm
http://main.abqjournal.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/a01_jd_28dec_snow1-820x411.jpg

http://www.koat.com/news/i40-will-be-reopened-by-930-am/37158078

Mrs Marvel & I got almost 3 ft of snow, and then we both came down with  whatever the local flu bug (upper respiratory misrableness, no gut problems at least) We tag teamed christmas and new years dinners, fortunately no guests this year.

I got the driveway blowed out with the 2 stage snowblower over the course of 3 days,
It is now now 40-45 deg and melting off.

But wait, there's more!  a new blizzard is in the works for M-F!

yhs
prof (tuckered out) marvel

Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2016, 11:41:32 AM »
Warmed up today - just -26*C. Snow is forecast, but it will have to arm up a few more degrees for that to happen.

Just to add to the fun, we've had two power outages since New Year's day that only lasted four hours each - vehicle accidents.

Last year we were off for four DAYS this time off year when a tree took out our power line, ripped the meter drop off the pole  and started a fire. A week later the well pump died.

I'll take a week of cold weather with no incidents by comparison.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2016, 01:02:31 PM »
Aw, that ain't cold! New Years Day 1969 it was -52 in Great Falls, Montana, and there was NO WIND! Left Montana a few weeks after that, but understand it got down to -54 deg F. there a couple of years later! Tried to start my car, which had a tank heater in the coolant system plugged in. No luck. Took the battery in the house for six hours. We ran straight 5W oil from September through June. Took the battery out to the car, slapped on the cables. Turned the key and it just went urrrr..,,  Oil was probably the consistency of asphalt at that temp.  Next morning, it "warmed up" to -34 F., and the car started up just fine!  ;)  Luckily, the electricity stayed on, so we had heat (gas forced air) in our little rental. Last house I ever lived in that didn't have a woodburning fireplace, even in California, when we were there in the early '70's!

How cold was it? It was colder than the north end of a southbound maintenance officer!  ;D
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016, 03:46:32 PM »
Used to get in the -40's here in the past, but global warming has changed that. Coldest it's been in the 11 years I've lived here was -38*C for a few days.

I used to live in NW Ontario at the Lakehead where we had the moderating effect of Lake Superior. Cold was -25F. Just 50-75 miles inland, it dropped to -60F at times.

I believe that the coldest place in Canada is Chalk River. Even Winnipeg got colder than I remember in Churchill.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com