Author Topic: Revolving Rifles  (Read 4868 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
Revolving Rifles
« on: January 12, 2016, 11:28:50 PM »
Greetings My Good Netizens -

Being so enamored with the oddball Revolving Carbines, such as my latest acquisition the Remington Revolving Carbine

I was intrigued  to find another today - the Model of 1893 H. Pieper Revolving Carbine in 8 mm Nagant. The nine-shot carbine has the added feature of the  Nagant revolver in that the cylinder moves forward to effect a gas seal!

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Revolving%20Longguns/H.%20Pieper%20Revolving%20Carbine/H.%20Pieper%20Revolving%20Carbine.html

As we remember, the original Nagant revolver was designed in 1886, and the finalized design of the M1895 was accepted by the Tzar as the official Russian Sidearm.

As I proceeded down this rabbithole of obscure carbines imagine my delight to discover this Page of All Knowledge
regarding revolving longarms:

http://milpas.cc/rifles/ZFiles/Revolving%20Longguns/Revolving%20Longguns.html

It seems there have been a plethora of these things through the years... some even operated by lever or pump action...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: Revolving Rifles
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2016, 06:56:49 AM »
I have two revolving rifles. One is a 44 cal C&B of modern manufacture and one is a Colt Root Rifle of late 1860's manufacture. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2016, 12:14:58 PM »
Had a .44 (? Might have been a .41) Roper long ago.  Didn't have the reloadable "cartridge" sleeves and sold it for a 400% profit... about 1/20th what it's going for today.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:39:21 AM »

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2016, 12:28:33 PM »
Prof. Marvel,

Thanks for sharing those links, they're really interesting. And your Remington carbine is super cool looking, thanks for sharing it! I'm gonna try to get one myself, just need to get my first lever gun before that. I've always loved things that were a bit different from the norm, so those Remington carbines have always caught my eye.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2016, 07:14:24 AM »
Hey Professor,
Nice looking carbine.  A friend has one and they are great to shoot.   I enjoyed it, I had to have a version, mine being more Texas Steampunk, as it is one of those brass buffalo Remington pistols with a shoulder stock.  I got the pistol as a present and had the stock from my 1860 Colt.  I had to do a little internal shaping and buy an extended hammer bolt from Taylor Firearms, but the stock works on both pistols.  Many thanks for the links.   I have handled original root rifles and carbines.  Not sure why the carbine never caught on more.  If held back at the trigger, it felt great.  I would not have wanted to shoot the rifle with my hands out front though.   
Did not see a LeMat carbine on the page.  One of those is on my wish list, but since I did not win the lottery, still just on the list. 

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2016, 07:27:07 AM »
I cannot understand why no one has made a copy of the 1855 Colt rifle. I am sure they would sell to shooters and Civil War re-enactors alike.

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »
I cannot understand why no one has made a copy of the 1855 Colt rifle. I am sure they would sell to shooters and Civil War re-enactors alike.

Palmetto of Italy did at one time (they are long gone now).  From what I read some were good, some had some real quality issues.

Periodically I will shoot an email to Pedersoli urging them to make one of the M1855s since they do so many other black powder weapons.

I have one of the Uberti Remingtion jobs as well and put a Kirst conversion cylinder in it. 

Not period West but the Rossi Circuit Judge can be in that ilk as well since you can put 45lc instead of 410 shotshells. 

Both are a hoot to shoot. 

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2016, 12:16:51 PM »
I got a chance to handle one of the DGW Root "Rifles" back in 2003 or 04 during N-SSA Nationals.
I also don't remember who manufactured it. (I seen to remember thinking it was Armi Sport)

It was a six shot in .44 revolver cal. Which was ok for a sporting rifle. However, they put the long fore stock of the Military rifle on it.
This made everything look very much out-of-scale for the military caliber fireaems.

LostVaquero,

Please do contact Pedersoli.
Please do not be surprized if they should turn you down. My experience is that they are not keen on building revolving firearms.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2016, 09:41:12 PM »
How are these companies going to a increase sales, make new modles if they dont know what people want.
I belive people should email them and suggest items they might consider.
I for one are not shy to say what i think good or bad.
Cost may be a factor, i have not seen the internals of a 1855 Colt but cant be any worse than the Paterson.
 ;D
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com