Author Topic: A "New Chapparral"  (Read 8381 times)

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A "New Chapparral"
« on: December 30, 2015, 07:05:30 AM »
Hello all
went to the local gun shop last night, and in the used rack there was this apparently unfired 45-75 28 in. rifle. Store was having a 5% off sale on everything which brought the price to $711. Glancing at the new Uberti 1876's now at $1600 this seemed like a ok price for the "kit" gun at half the price. Now in all fairness this Chaparral does seem to be a later one where the prior issues were addressed. Had gunsmith check headspace and the bolt has the lip. So I could not resist. This particular rifle is only slightly less comparable to my Uberti 50-95 in fit and finish. At least the muzzle crown is correct and concentric, something Uberti had overlooked on my other gun.  
Question:
what year range where these produced?  barrel stamp is Melbourne Florida?

thanks K. Williams

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: A "New Chapparral"
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 07:47:13 AM »
For $711, I would have snatched it up in a heart beat!  You got a great deal. As you know, it ain't a Uberti. But with a little love it will be a fine shoot'n iron.  Good for you! Enjoy it!
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2015, 08:50:09 AM »
If its a good one, that is a great deal.  I'd like to have a 45-75 to go with my 50-95, especially a carbine.  Maybe some day...
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:25:31 PM »

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: A "New Chapparral" Bolt travel??
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2016, 09:07:37 AM »
I have been working on my lump of coal, its much closer to being a diamond now that most of the deficiencies have been addressed. I have one more fix to do and that is to figure out how to get the bolt to re track another .030" so that the new bolt tab I installed will clear the back wall of the elevator mortise. Right now it hits the cartridge rim on the up travel. This is probably the reason Chaparral had reduced it to a nub. I am not against cutting the lever and re tiging the lever arm so as to push the links more rearward, as i can now do with my finger-there being enough slack left to do so after full lever travel. One thing I don't want to do is mess up the timing and head space lock up. By the way the lever pin is on the frame at full travel and at end of link slot.
So all you tinkerer's, what would you suggest, how would you proceed?
Sure could use some help here............thanks

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 09:23:40 PM »
 " SO , how did your lump of coal,,,workout,!!!!!!!??????

Hootmix .

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 39
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 09:34:19 PM »
kwilliams,

Do you have a photo of the original bolt tab and a photo of what you changed it to?

Would be interested in some type of fix for using the smaller diameter base 45/70 casing (0.603 instead of 0.630).  I know you have a 45/75 and not a 45/60 but maybe your alteration could work.
Black River Smith

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 190
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 12:19:38 AM »
My Chappy RCMP .45-60 had a headspace problem that was actually a toggle problem, with only the left side toggle installed it would chamber anything but with only the right side installed it wouldn't chamber anything. A few hits with my belt sander and a needle file was all it took to get it corrected. Don't know if this helps. Good luck.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 05:17:33 PM »
Baltimore Ed,

Thanks for the comment and suggestions but my issue is not 'headspace' I already thinned the 45/70 rim from 0.064 to maybe 0.067 to the correct thickness of 0.062 and they work perfectly between the bolt face and the barrel face.

My question is about the rim 'diameter'.  Original 1876 had a rim diameter of 0.63 for all calibers while the standard rim diameter of a 45/70 is only 0.602.  The Chappy bolt face (space between bottom of extractor and the cartridge guide tab was make to the original specs (0.63).  See link.  Scroll down some.  Also note their rim thickness number is missing the zero after the decimal.

https://www.marstar.ca/html/reflibrary/Manuals/chaparralwinchester.html

Even with a correct extractor installed the cases lets go from the extractor pressure once the bullet is about 3/4 of the way out of the chamber.  Now with quick or rapid levering the cases will bounce out of the carriage area.  But they do not fly up and back like a 73 or 66 because of this excess gapping.

Just trying to find a better fix for this 0.028 gap issue without buying Jamison brass with its rim diameter of 0.62 at a cost of $60.  It is still smaller than the 0.63 but better.  I am curious if other people see this same issue and just ignore it or if they just fast cycle their Chappy 76 and not even realize what is happening.

PS - I just found your original posting in the forum.  Thanks for the suggests I may go back and still check that as a possible Chappy issue.
Black River Smith

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:38:51 AM »
 Darn!! Kwilliams,,,,,I,,still want to know ???????????

Hootmix.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 02:08:57 PM »
howdy all
my apologies for being missing for awhile, had a big move and now trying to get the new house built at the ranch. my bolt tab fix was to mill a slot in bolt and using a medium hard solder attach the blank. then i milled the rim radius in. getting the bolt to retract enough to get the tab to clear the frame mortise was done by cutting the lever below link pin extending the lever .030" and tig welding it back together. now it worked fine! also rebuilt the rear sight and milled up a really nice front with silver blade.

i sold the thing awhile back for one reason....it would not should black powder lead bullets worth a damn. rifling was just to shallow and i did not want jacketed bullets smokeless in a '76 (kind of a sacrilege)! many readers have said that their chaparral is extremely accurate, mine just did not meet my expectations.  the rifle finished out as one of the slickest levers i have owned, and i loved the 26" barrel that chaparral uses better than my 28" uberti.  i really like to tinker on these lengthy projects over the winter, but when finished i like to see results.

have squeezed in some time on my "new" ballard pacific 40-90 restoration...a real montana gun.   today i gave my iron frame henry acquired at last weeks quigley shoot a trigger job. just sitting here waiting on the crane to get my roof trusses up!
regards
kwilliams

Offline larryo1

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 05:25:05 PM »
KW:
I do not remember if you have a rifle with the "Uberti" chamber or one with the original size but in my rifle a "Uberti," in 45-75, I use 76 grains of Swiss 1½ under a lead bullet and it works just fine.  I also use 22 grains of 2400 with same lead bullet and with the same reslts.  don't know if this helps at all but thought to pass it on.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 05:54:31 PM »
larryo1
i have 2 other uberti rifles and their rifling is in the .004-.005" deep range. the chappy was barley .003" deep. i tried 300,350 and 400 grain slugs hard and soft, some of which tumbled. yes did try a couple combinations of smokeless loads, and even a few paper patch 350 grainers. was thinking of trying a gas check bullet load but would of had buy one.
i miss the old girl, and the next buyer may have something that works. i will eventually find a used uberti in 45-75. i really like the caliber, and have at least 10 molds in .45 to play with. if i am not tinkering, i am not happy!
funny thing....i had to recrown my uberti henry today, whats with the Italians on cutting a concentric crown and forcing cones? everyone of mine (5) has needed to be recut. my 50-95 crown looked like a 10 yr old with a wood countersink did the deed. had to unscrew barrel and mount in lathe to fix that.

regards
kw

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 02:47:12 PM »
Thanks for responding with the fix info and Good luck with building your ranch.
Black River Smith

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2016, 08:37:08 PM »
Kwilliams,,,,,my hats off to ya,,,sounds like you enjoy what you do,,,and now I"ll sleep better knowing you fixed'er up so someone else could enjoy her,,,thanks .

Hootmix.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com