Author Topic: I would like to see some holsters  (Read 10106 times)

Offline SimmerinLightning

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
I would like to see some holsters
« on: December 29, 2015, 05:37:24 PM »
I know there is a separate leather forum, but I am specifically interested in finding a holster for my navies. I want to make sure it fits my MWnN also, with its slightly larger cylinder.

I want a crossdraw in a darker reddish-brown finish, but beyond that I don't really know what I'm looking for.  So let's see what you got.

PS I don't want some plain ol' holster, I want something with a little style, a little panache.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: I would like to see some holsters
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2015, 12:43:15 PM »
Go to the "Old El Paso" web pages and look at their "California Slim Jim" style holsters, tooled.  Very Nice.

Coffinmaker

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 06:32:27 AM »
You should also check out Rick Bachman's Old West Reproductions. Back in 1990 or so he made me up a Slim Jim specifically fit to an 1860 conversion, something not too many had available back then. He's always been a pard to ride the river with.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:59:29 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2015, 06:37:53 AM »
I can second on Rick.  Great guy to do business with, and quality second to none!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2016, 09:00:28 AM »
I can't find anything on Old El Paso. If you mean El Paso Saddlery, I have been looking at their stuff for quite awhile, but I dislike the fact that they put their logo on the outside of the holster. I will probably go with them despite.

Almost 200 views and not a single picture? Does nobody carry a pistol in a holster?

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2016, 05:46:26 PM »
Ask them if they would put it on the back side.  From what I've seen of originals, most makers did put their maker's mark on the outside.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2016, 09:24:07 PM »
You got some good suggestions, but if you want to see images with guns and holsters re-post this in the Leather Section - some of the best custom makers in the business (all are shooters themselves) post there and it will give you a better cross section of makers, some not as well known, but who still put out top quality work......I can't think of one of the guys whose work is not up to par and as somebody who has been building award winning museum quality custom historic holsters for 50 years there's not one of the folks work I wouldn't be proud to own (FYI - I no longer take orders)....and prices are generally well in line with the big outfits so they are not really more expensive....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016, 03:54:55 PM »
Well, I really shouldn't be real snarky, but this ain't Amazon.  Dragging out guns and leather then to pose em for pictures can be some
time consuming.  Especially since you seem to want to shop for specifics.  So, since you obviously have the capability to web surf,
surf the Holster makers and if and when you see something that meets your discerning criteria, give em a call a see if they will make
what your heart desires.

Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016, 05:03:28 PM »
Well, I really shouldn't be real snarky, but this ain't Amazon.  Dragging out guns and leather then to pose em for pictures can be some
time consuming.  Especially since you seem to want to shop for specifics.  So, since you obviously have the capability to web surf,
surf the Holster makers and if and when you see something that meets your discerning criteria, give em a call a see if they will make
what your heart desires.

Coffinmaker
Well, I was under the impression that people liked showing off their stuff, and might already have pictures lying around, so to speak. I guess I was mistaken.  ???

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2016, 06:11:04 PM »
most makers do have good images and that's why I suggested to re-post in the Leather Forum where most hang out....
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 12:39:48 AM »
This count?  ;D

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 06:29:37 PM »
I still have around 25 original Slim Jim holsters in my collection dating back to the California Gold Rush.  None of these have the makers cartouche on the front.  In fact, I personally, have never seen an original Slim Jim for a percussion or conversion revolver with the cartouche on the front.  All of my maker marked originals have the makers stamp on the back, either above the belt loop or on the belt loop itself.  On the other hand looped holsters for single actions are almost always marked on the front.  I have also had a few Slim Jims that were made for single actions, that have the cartouche on the front.  One of these is shown on the bottom of page 89 in the book "Packing Iron".  The makers mark on this holster is stamped right over the cylinder area on the front.  It reads "S.C.Gallup & Co., Dodge City, Kansas.

Buck

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2016, 01:58:15 AM »
If you want pictures of holsters - post your request where folks make holsters, it's really that simple.

Then, you can look through those pages and see their work, and get an idea of what you like, and figure out if you can afford it.

Any 'Slim Jim' or 'Mexican Loop' that will fit a Colt 1860 Army will handle your revolver.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2016, 06:13:30 AM »
I still have around 25 original Slim Jim holsters in my collection dating back to the California Gold Rush.  None of these have the makers cartouche on the front.  In fact, I personally, have never seen an original Slim Jim for a percussion or conversion revolver with the cartouche on the front.  All of my maker marked originals have the makers stamp on the back, either above the belt loop or on the belt loop itself.  On the other hand looped holsters for single actions are almost always marked on the front.  I have also had a few Slim Jims that were made for single actions, that have the cartouche on the front.  One of these is shown on the bottom of page 89 in the book "Packing Iron".  The makers mark on this holster is stamped right over the cylinder area on the front.  It reads "S.C.Gallup & Co., Dodge City, Kansas.

Buck
There you have it folks.  The man knows what he's talking about.  (I had no idea the two different styles were marked differently.  Learn something new all the time!)

Offline Seth Hawkins

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2016, 07:16:46 AM »
Here:

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2016, 11:06:57 AM »
Simmerinlighjtnin'; This is where you should be lookin'. There are over 100 pages of pictures to browse;

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/board,57.0.html
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com