Author Topic: Spencer forensics question  (Read 2630 times)

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Spencer forensics question
« on: December 27, 2015, 05:04:40 PM »
I recently acquired a Spencer Navy rifle, but am unsure of the model.  It has a Spencer cutoff, Lane-type extractor, beveled hammer nose, and other hallmarks of an M1867 or NM.  Unfortunately, some prior soul (or perhaps someone without a soul) scrubbed the model marking off the top of the barrel and the serial numbers off of both the receiver and bottom of the barrel.  I suspect someone was trying to create a fake M1860 Navy model for some reason, but that's just a guess.

Which brings me to my question:  Does anyone have a home-brew method for uncovering a defaced serial number?  I know there are kits containing various acids and whatnot, but the ones I have seen seem to be geared toward police detectives with a commensurate price that only a taxpayer-supported entity could afford. 

The defacing is not very deep, and on the underside of the barrel I can make out a couple partial digits (unfortunately at the wrong end of the number to give me a serial number range).

Suggestions appreciated.

--DJ

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Spencer forensics question
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:39 AM »
Sorry DJ that your rifle was defaced. It might be that it was previously stolen or used in a crime 100 years ago. LOL. I have a similar problem with my Spencer. Someone a long time ago took my serial number (most of it) off the top. But I found the other one on the bottom side under the wood. I asked an expert at a gun show if they could do what you are asking, I was told that unless I had a friend at the FBI, that I was wasting my time. I also asked if I could have the serial number engraved or re-stamped. Again the Antique Gun expert said that would further devalue the gun. Looking forward to any posts from any of the experts here.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:13:08 PM »

Offline DJ

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 10:19:55 PM »
Thanks for the input, Walksfire.  If just the serial numbers had been defaced, I would suspect it was a theft or something nefarious in the past--the serial number locations have acquired what looks like an honest patina.  But the model number on the top of the barrel was also filed off, which makes me wonder if a slightly more sophisticated ne'er do well was trying to make this look like a different model.  I think most collectors would find a Model 1860 Navy Spencer much more desirable than Model 1865, Model 1867, or New Model navies.  Even if the production numbers were similar (which I suspect they were), the Model 1860 has a lot more "history" dripping from it.

In my Internet search I happened upon a product marked for law enforcement field (as opposed to laboratory) use to raise serial numbers on steel.  Price wasn't too far out of line, so I ordered some and intend to give it a shot.  I figure that even if it does disfigure things a little bit, if I try it on the bottom of the barrel first, I should be able to hide any disfigurement with the forend wood. 

I only paid a shooter price for this gun and plan to use it as a shooter, but I suppose some poor cat must be dying with all this curiosity I have.

I'll post as things develop.

--DJ

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 08:58:27 PM »
Instead of thinking the worst (or hoping for it, since it's more titillating...) delving deeper into Spencer sales during the post-Civil War years would illustrate that many, many worn Spencers of all types were refinished via draw-filing and then newly-browned, prior to their being sold.

At that time, absolutely no attention was paid to factory lettering, nor was any paid to the existing serial number, because neither mattered, as they'd been struck from the Quartermaster's property records - effectively ceasing to exist, insofar as Uncle Sam was concerned.

Schuyler, Hartley and Graham and Bannerman both did this, as did other surplus sellers - the newer condition made for higher pricing, after all, and no one cared at all about any markings back then - that happened later...

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com