Author Topic: Polish front sight?  (Read 4068 times)

Offline McCrower

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
Polish front sight?
« on: December 27, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
I am new to Cas, and would like to get advice about making the front sight on my uberti's easier to see and "find" when shooting. I see that Uniquetek sells polishing kits for the front sight; http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1559. What is the point with this? Or are there other methods that could be recommended? Of course it must be allowed in Cas comeptitions..

Online August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Polish front sight?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2015, 01:17:17 PM »
A piece of leather on a stick is the best way to burnish the front sight before a match.

With the one available from Uniquetek, you get Palo Verde's usual excellent production of a concept.

Brass sights always tarnish between matches.  So, shining them up is a good thing.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 02:08:23 AM »
Just remember that what is very shiny will be hard to see on a sunny day due to reflection. Shooting at a covered range & outdoors in the open are two different matters.  ;)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:35:20 AM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 09:42:23 AM »
You posted this in the Single Action forum.  The stick in question is primarily for polishing the brass front sights on rifles.  If you have replaced/covered the front sights on your revolvers with brass then it will work fine on that too.  However, if you have the stock front sight you don't want to polish the front sight as it will make it harder to see.  A lot of people go to Home Deport and buy a little bottle of appliance paint repair and then paint the back of the front sight white.  Makes it easier to see, especially on a blued gun.

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 01:06:07 PM »
Appliance repair paint....what colour?  White I assume...

A polished front sight works fine when the sun is behind you.  But there are times that you will wish it was black.  On my Pedersoli Lightning, I cut the front sight bead at a 45 degree angle to catch light, and it does work well for fast acquisition.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:13:15 PM »
I came to CAS from Bullseye and PPC.  In both I used to blacken my sights to keep reflection to a minimum.  Althought the perfect sight picture is not nearly as important in CAS as say Bullseye, I still like to keep my sights as non-reflective as possible.  Reflection seems to make it even worse on my aging eyes.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2015, 03:36:00 PM »
Appliance repair paint....what colour?  White I assume...

A polished front sight works fine when the sun is behind you.  But there are times that you will wish it was black.  On my Pedersoli Lightning, I cut the front sight bead at a 45 degree angle to catch light, and it does work well for fast acquisition.

White is what most people use.  It is pretty durable so it only needs recoating sporatically.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »
...I still like to keep my sights as non-reflective as possible.  Reflection seems to make it even worse on my aging eyes.

A nickel gun with nickel sights on a sunny day is awful. But, it looks cool.  :D

Offline marko

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:21 PM »
I believe if your talking about Uberti then it is Italian and not Polish.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 02:30:49 PM »
I like to blacken the vertical face of the frontsight, a Marker pen works, and leave the sloping top bright. The best of both worlds.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com