Author Topic: Which is more historically correct?  (Read 18380 times)

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
Re: Which is more historically correct?
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 02:18:28 PM »
Hear Hear! I second Mean Bob's sentiments.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 05:59:04 PM »
Thanks folks! Actually I'm not doing bad at all considering (if I had only known then what I know now re: health albeit this is genetic lost my Mama and older brother to it years ago). Biggest problem is overwhelming fatigue and the boredom that comes with it many days. Still I've been able to do some work on building knives, a couple of pouches, and a couple of horns that fit this period - I'll post pics ASAP.

Main reason I don't join clubs (well plus I'm a dyed in the wool misanthrope!  ;) A few years ago I went to a friends place to help teach and over heard a friend telling the adult counselor "that you're really lucky to have Chuck because usually anytime more than two people gathered around me I'd get up and leave." I'm not quite that bad (more like five) but I did get a good smile out of it.
To paraphrase the great detective Nero Wolfe, If you're eccentric don't apologize."
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2015, 08:45:33 AM »
Chuck:
I hope everything goes well and you become cancer free soon.  I have always enjoyed your posts.  I apologize the misspelling of Mariano Medina's name.  I was running from memory and for some reason always thought his name was spelled with an O instead of an E.  That being said how did his rifle get from the Colorado Historical Museum to Glorieta?   I know I saw it up there in the mid '70s.  It was on display where you could reach across the ropes and touch it.  The first time I saw it his pouch was with the rifle, I went back a couple of years later, the rifle was there but someone had stolen the pouch.
T-Joe
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 06:53:19 AM »

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2015, 09:38:06 AM »
No problem since some older books (IIRC The Plains Rifle for one) had is name as Modena - later research has shown that was an error based on period docs.
Yes the rifle and accoutrements were at the Colorado Historical Society in Denver. In fact that's one place I went too on my hitch hiking trip noted above. I got lucky too - the day I went they had the rifle in for cleaning and the curator allowed me to handle it and take measurements/photos (may have been since I walked in looking like I'd stepped out of 1845). Unfortunately over the years and many moves all that got lost.
As far as I know Jim Gordon bought the rifle from the Society, unfortunately this s fairly common practice theses days for museums to sell off items, and when anti-gunner types are in charge then guns are often the first to go (unless maybe it was only on loan and then got sold by the owner). Sometimes they have replicas made either to protect the original or sell off the original. I've made a few pieces like that for some museums (which will remain nameless due to my contract) - in at least one case I KNOW my piece replaced the original, which was sold for big $$, and mine is being touted as the original.
As for the pouch and other accoutrements they must have been recovered since Jim has them with the rifle.
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #24 on: December 30, 2015, 08:01:26 AM »
I am glad the pouch and accoutrements were recovered or were just misplaced in the museum.  Thanks for the clarification.  I moved to south eastern Colorado about the time you made your hitchhiking trec.  I lived about 30 miles north west of Bent's Fort.  We watched the old adobe building rise from the prairie in 1975-1976 and my family and friends did some volunteer work at the fort over the years.  Lots of good memories.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 30, 2015, 12:12:12 PM »
Chuck - Your picture reminds me of one taken of me shirtless with a dark, bushy beard wearing a breech clout/leggings/moccasins outfit. Minimal and very comfortable! At the time I had a Green River Forge .50 Astorian flinter and their HBC Trade gun 20 ga smoothbore.

Last August, I passed the five year mark in remission. It's just a disease, not a death sentence! I do a daily exercise routine that would hospitalize men half my age that ends with hand stand push ups and chin ups.

I've never smoked and haven't had a drink in nigh on 30 years. Felt sorry for myself until I saw the kids with bald heads at the clinic. Then I gave myself a kick in the butt and got on with beating it. I well remember the fatigue associated with the recovery process, but now it's as though it never happened.

I was told that a positive attitude made a difference. I've always had an attitude (or so I'm told) and it paid off. Take care of yourself, be well. The rest will come .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #26 on: December 30, 2015, 12:22:46 PM »
I've known PJ Hardtack for most of my adult life, and can attest to his tenacity.  May you both live long and happy.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 30, 2015, 03:20:42 PM »
Thanks, Gabriel, I intend to! I ain't always been right, but the highest praise I ever got was from a pal, who upon hearing some disparaging remarks made behind my back said - "What you guys say about PJ is correct, but he is the most passionate man I've ever known and if he had something to say about you, he'd say it to your face."

That ended the conversation. That man and me are still tight.

But this is about Chuck, not me. His battle is ongoing. The spectre of the "Big C'' haunts all of us.

"Ask not for whom the bell tolls - it tolls for thee."    John Donne
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2016, 04:26:51 PM »
Thanks for the words of encouragement P. J. and yep my attitude is good - always figured I was like Mr. Thomas, Do not go gentle into that good night, Old age should burn and rave at close of day...Figure I came kicking and screaming into this world (my Mama used to tell me that when the doc smacked me on the backside I turned and tried to punch him in the nose!.
And yep the sad ones for me are the little kids - luckily all of those I've met so far are doing good to excellent, but sometimes it's the older folks who have trouble and those I try and let know yep it's tough, but if you've made it to fifty you've proved how tuff you are.
As for death - been there done that once years ago due to a bad bout of malaria, bit I came back- just not ready to go yet! As always yo vaya co Dios....
aka Nolan Sackett

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2016, 06:39:17 PM »
That's the attitude, Dude! "Rage, rage against the dying of the light ...."

I've been going out x-country skiing every day for the past week and the temp has never risen above -15*C during the day, -28*C to -30*C in the morning. That's after my usual morning exercise routine.

One thing about beating a life threatening disease - changes your whole approach to life and your priorities. You come to KNOW what's really important whereas before you only THOUGHT you did!

That's a gift! As is life itself.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com