Author Topic: Model 1876 Winchester REBARREL.  (Read 35398 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Re: Model 1876 Winchester REBARREL.
« Reply #80 on: September 27, 2018, 07:13:09 AM »
Hell, I'll take one if the price is right. (free) I'll even pay the shipping to N. Illinois.  ;D
                KM if I decide to give one away you will be the first to know , heck I may deliver it so you don't have to pay the shipping . :D :D :D :D :D   ,,,,,,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #81 on: September 27, 2018, 07:19:26 AM »
Nice thought -- thanks

I dont know what is behind those tough laws.........Australia is one of two countries that are not allowed export firearms to the US (unless that changed recently) I have an LC Smith shotgun I got in a deal (nice gun, a specialty grade but the later manufacture so not worth a mint) thought I would take it over for sale on a trip sometime  - also located a couple of nice original button mag 92's with the same idea - found it was a no go zone - woulda had to sell to a dealer in canada with all their rules and regs.
 I think we probably could import parts from the US with appropriate paperwork dont know about an older complete gun I think our ijits in customs do drop tests and stuff for "safety" - the gun work (on a parts build) at this end is technically illegal - and once you step into the spotlight (buying a numbered reciever) you then have to follow ALL the rules - repairs to firearms need to be done by a licenced armourer - that needs a dealers licence - that needs a bank vault style safe and ministerial approval .......at this point we can still buy a barrel so long as its not threaded or plugged (muzzleloader)
Maybe one day I come visit - in the mean time - this here is pretty much fun - so I thank you for the ongoing conversations .
                 Wow Greyhawk I knew that the laws were tough over there , but had no idea that strict . Makes me realize how lucky I am to live in a country and state Texas , that has firearms laws that are reasonable and far less restrictive  . ,,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #82 on: September 27, 2018, 08:56:02 AM »
                 Wow Greyhawk I knew that the laws were tough over there , but had no idea that strict . Makes me realize how lucky I am to live in a country and state Texas , that has firearms laws that are reasonable and far less restrictive  . ,,,,,DT

Enjoy it while you have it mate - I can remember when it used to be like that here - not pistols though, they clamped pistols somewhere in the depression years -- the no export to the US restriction, is enforced from your end for some strange reason. 
I had pinned a lot of hope on Trump - if he gets another term maybe some of this foolishness will stop - its the bleeding left causing our problems. I am lucky I live out of town and have good neighbors - I can still walk out the back door and shoot off whatever I like - technically my little target range is illegal - but I am allowed to shoot a rabbit - man theres a lot of rabbits on this place !!!!!

Advertising

« Reply #83 on: Today at 04:28:48 AM »

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #83 on: September 27, 2018, 05:10:07 PM »
Did get the Express sights on the 76 , they fit very nice and tight , look good and show good with my vision . Ready to go out and check the windage setting and learn how to hold with the three leaves for elevation . The .50 has proven very accurate in this rifle , so I have confidence the results will be good . ,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #84 on: September 27, 2018, 07:47:52 PM »
Did get the Express sights on the 76 , they fit very nice and tight , look good and show good with my vision . Ready to go out and check the windage setting and learn how to hold with the three leaves for elevation . The .50 has proven very accurate in this rifle , so I have confidence the results will be good . ,,,,DT

Dusty
Nice sights --- you are good at "finding" stuff eh!
Im just back in from shooting the 45/75 - frustrated this morning - fired two barrel warmer shots - the LEE 405 grain boolit - dead centre about three inches high and cut each other (purrfect hunting hits) - then switched to the heavier boolit - still foolin with that and still only at 100yds - our club has a match this weekend - ML and cartridge guns - theres a 100yd bench event and I have been will I? wont I? with the '76 - side to side good this morning, probably in an inch but vertical ...............strung up and down four inches or better. Somedays this walking is worse than others - if I get it good and hot then just hunker down and let fly its not too bad - will shoot a decent group
I am gonna pull the front end off this rifle next week - will need an impact screwdriver, the Uberti Gorilla used buth arms on the forend cap screws.
Is it ok if I message you when I attack this you might have some tricks that will help ?   

This is a big plus of that button magazine gun you built - I have had a few short mag 92's, they didnt seem to do this, but then if I shot a four inch group with em those days I proly thought santa clause just came  ;D

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #85 on: September 28, 2018, 05:47:03 AM »
Greyhawk my friend , contact me anytime you like . But I must say in advance , I have no tricks . When I set up , or  put together a 76 I try and set it up as close as I can to original spec's . that's it except that I fit the forearm wood a tad loose .    I will say this the most accurate original 76 45/75 untouched rifle that I have , has a slight looseness to the forearm , shrinkage I expect , but she shoots a ragged hole group if you hold it . Without a doubt my favorite rifle .  The best shooting 94 , 86 , and 73 that I have all have this in common ,a slight looseness in the forearm fit . Coincidence or is there something there ?  DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #86 on: September 28, 2018, 07:49:20 AM »
I think a tight forearm will kinda choke the barrel in a sense.
King Medallion

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #87 on: September 28, 2018, 02:59:37 PM »
Fired the first shots with the Express sight at 50 yd. windage was inline , elevation was just a tad low . Lifted the second leaf and moved the target out to 100 yd. fired a three shot group and was glad to see that the group was not to bad and just under the point of aim about 2".The load was Bullet cast from original Winchester Express mold with WW @ .513  , 330 gr. SPG 84 gr. 2FF Swiss , Winchester primer , Jamison  case  put together with an original Winchester tong tool . pic. of 100 yd . 3 shot group and the 1876 Winchester Express rifle .,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #88 on: October 01, 2018, 07:10:34 PM »
Greyhawk my friend , contact me anytime you like . But I must say in advance , I have no tricks . When I set up , or  put together a 76 I try and set it up as close as I can to original spec's . that's it except that I fit the forearm wood a tad loose .    I will say this the most accurate original 76 45/75 untouched rifle that I have , has a slight looseness to the forearm , shrinkage I expect , but she shoots a ragged hole group if you hold it . Without a doubt my favorite rifle .  The best shooting 94 , 86 , and 73 that I have all have this in common ,a slight looseness in the forearm fit . Coincidence or is there something there ?  DT

Probably something there I think - where I plan to start anyway - I might even make up a button mag for this rifle - always preferred the look of full mag but had several short mag 92's and and didnt encounter this walk up and down thing till I got a full mag 94 - back then tho I was mostly a plinker - definitely was not trying as hard to shoot close at any kind of distance those days - If the gun would body hit a rabbit at 40/50 yards I was well satisfied. Accuracy expectations are higher these days but I dont get out in the field near as much.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #89 on: January 30, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »
This is what I ended up with , a 50 Cal. handy rifle that drop's game like lightning . It has become my Go To  Gun for Big Game hunting , at least for now . ,,,DT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com