Author Topic: Model 1876 Winchester REBARREL.  (Read 35390 times)

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
Re: Model 1876 Winchester REBARREL.
« Reply #60 on: September 13, 2017, 07:56:22 AM »
That cover looks Really nice!

Mr. Dusty, good to see you on again.  Hope things are drying out and improving for ya.

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #61 on: September 13, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »
Thanks Mr. Pinto Beans, getting better by the day!

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2017, 03:16:04 PM »
Winchester Bob furnished  a very good copy of the Express dust cover , fit perfect and with a bit of rubbing back it looks like it has been on the rifle for ever. I have been shooting the Big  50 Express enough  to really get used to it . A few days ago helping a client hunter track a Wt. buck he had wounded ,I was carrying the Express rifle , the wounded buck jumped about 60yd. out in front of us and I had the only shot opportunity. The 510300 Jim bullet and 84 gr. of Swiss FF hit him square in the shoulder . He was on the move when the bullet struck and he flipped end over end and never moved . A complete pass through , big hole going in and bigger coming out .  Looked over at my hunter and his mouth was hanging open , he was very impressed . Back at camp that night the big 50 was all the talk . I like this 76 " ,,,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #63 on: Today at 09:58:19 AM »

Offline pinto beans

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 40
« Reply #63 on: November 30, 2017, 08:40:25 PM »
Yes Sir!!!  Great going!!!   :)

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #64 on: December 01, 2017, 07:23:34 AM »
a properly marked dust cover just makes all the difference! i had a friend do my Ubertie cover on his cnc mill, i provided the font. every time i pick up the rifle my eyes just gravitate to the cover....way cool!
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #65 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:33 AM »
Yep !!!   I agree 100%   I found a unmarked brass lifter and purchased a set of stamps that are real close to the font used on the 76 . Have been practicing  on some scrap brass . Will mark the lifter 50-95 when I get a bit more confidence . ,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #66 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:10 AM »
Dusty
yes i need to mark my lifter too. i will cut it with a hand engraver in the script style. the original uberti 50-95 etching was so light, (and ugly) i just polished it off.
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #67 on: December 02, 2017, 05:55:44 AM »
Kwilliams1876                                                                                                                                                                                 What I am seeing using the stamp set that I have , I don't like . I just ordered another stamp set , that looks like it may be what is needed 3/32" set old style font . If not its back to the drawing board.    I contacted two gun engravers , neither was interested in the job. Guess its to small of a job.  ,,,DT   

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #68 on: December 02, 2017, 08:44:07 AM »
Dusty
i believe that 3/32"  is on the small side for the font height? not sure, don't have a original to measure. stamping over the thin web might require a steel insert so as not to distort the flat? dunno for sure. i would find a local gun engraver to cut the script, that i think would be cheaper than buying a set of the script font stamps. we have a couple of engravers that show up at gun shows here in montana, i would think that cutting 4 characters would be a easy thing to do. give them a photo copy to follow.
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #69 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:53 PM »
KW1876 the numbers on the originals measure roughly 1/8" top to bottom , that's on a heavy lean . When I use a 1/8" stamp the numbers look way to big. The set of 3/32" I have coming will be used on a barrel project or two that are in the works. So if they don't look right they will still serve me a purpose , I think in order for the lifter to look right I'll have to find an engraver for the job.  The two I ask said no in a nice way .  Or just leave it slick.  ,,,DT

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #70 on: December 04, 2017, 08:25:12 AM »
Dusty
dug into my "digital ref. library" and found close ups of the 50-95 scripts. using my engineering proportional dividers set on the known dimension of the elevator width...(0.820") the scripts size appears to be 0.150" tall on 2 different rifles. measuring a tipped or tilted photograph would only lesson the dimension, never increasing it.  one of the rifles had a exquisite photo from James Julia auction site.
the dividers are a life savers when recreating parts for the old guns.
best
kw

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2018, 10:02:46 AM »
Found an Express sight and Sporting Silver front , They are going on the 50-95 Express rifle . Should work great for hunting .

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2018, 06:19:22 PM »
I had a very high condition round barrel .50 Express in the 27XXX range, that had the very same sights on it.  I've seen several other Express rifles with the same set up.  Dusty, I picked up a dandy octagon barrel Express in Denver last May.  Serial range is 22XXX.  Perfect bore and shoots very well.  Keep telling myself I'm done buying Winchesters, but then I come back to reality and bring a new one home.

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2018, 07:04:15 PM »
I had a very high condition round barrel .50 Express in the 27XXX range, that had the very same sights on it.  I've seen several other Express rifles with the same set up.  Dusty, I picked up a dandy octagon barrel Express in Denver last May.  Serial range is 22XXX.  Perfect bore and shoots very well.  Keep telling myself I'm done buying Winchesters, but then I come back to reality and bring a new one home.
              Buck I have had the same talk with myself a few times , That's it , No more . Well you know , here comes another. Bet the  Oct . Barrel Express is a beauty , just something about the old 76 .50 . Good to hear from you Buck .,,,,,,DT

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2018, 08:45:35 PM »
              Buck I have had the same talk with myself a few times , That's it , No more . Well you know , here comes another. Bet the  Oct . Barrel Express is a beauty , just something about the old 76 .50 . Good to hear from you Buck .,,,,,,DT

aaaahhhh -- you fellers have me drooling again!! - wonderin what I can sell to get me another '76 .......Would have to be a Uberti - original 76's down under are very very rare - back those days we just didnt have anything in the bush big enough to need one.

Offline Sarge

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2018, 11:00:52 PM »
dusty texian,
Did you ever get a chance to poke a pig with this rifle and load?

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2018, 07:27:50 AM »
dusty texian,
Did you ever get a chance to poke a pig with this rifle and load?
                                                                     Sarge  , not yet ,the weather has been extra hot down here this summer , and not good for wild hog killing butchering  . The weather is showing that its going to get cooler soon , nothing but rain now . That's why I decided to get in a little range time with my Express rifle and its new sights . After the first cool spell look for some pic's .,,DT

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2018, 07:38:05 AM »

aaaahhhh -- you fellers have me drooling again!! - wonderin what I can sell to get me another '76 .......Would have to be a Uberti - original 76's down under are very very rare - back those days we just didnt have anything in the bush big enough to need one.

Greyhawk if the laws were not so tight about shipping over to Australia , I could fix you right up with an original .  Maybe one day my friend .,,,DT

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2018, 08:13:38 AM »
Greyhawk if the laws were not so tight about shipping over to Australia , I could fix you right up with an original .  Maybe one day my friend .,,,DT

Hell, I'll take one if the price is right. (free) I'll even pay the shipping to N. Illinois.  ;D
King Medallion

Offline greyhawk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 49
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2018, 05:40:18 PM »

Nice thought -- thanks

I dont know what is behind those tough laws.........Australia is one of two countries that are not allowed export firearms to the US (unless that changed recently) I have an LC Smith shotgun I got in a deal (nice gun, a specialty grade but the later manufacture so not worth a mint) thought I would take it over for sale on a trip sometime  - also located a couple of nice original button mag 92's with the same idea - found it was a no go zone - woulda had to sell to a dealer in canada with all their rules and regs.
 I think we probably could import parts from the US with appropriate paperwork dont know about an older complete gun I think our ijits in customs do drop tests and stuff for "safety" - the gun work (on a parts build) at this end is technically illegal - and once you step into the spotlight (buying a numbered reciever) you then have to follow ALL the rules - repairs to firearms need to be done by a licenced armourer - that needs a dealers licence - that needs a bank vault style safe and ministerial approval .......at this point we can still buy a barrel so long as its not threaded or plugged (muzzleloader)
Maybe one day I come visit - in the mean time - this here is pretty much fun - so I thank you for the ongoing conversations .

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com