Author Topic: Cowboy hat  (Read 15942 times)

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Cowboy hat
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2015, 03:45:28 PM »
Wear it, and shoot black powder....make sure that you have a top eject rifle that bounces the shells off the brim, and be certain to handle when cleaning your black powder firearms, too.   This technique is particularly effective on the lighter colored hats, but even a black hat will get some white ash from the powder.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #21 on: December 28, 2015, 06:52:37 PM »
Poor ole Cinco Peso. Came looking for suggestion and got slammed. Don't figure we'll hear much more from him.

Well he got good honest answers, try to fake a hat it will look fake, I figured he didn't want lied to.   If anyone wants it sugar coated i think that's Willie Wonka's job.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #22 on: December 28, 2015, 07:06:59 PM »
I had a really nice, plain 4" brim fedora ( think Indian Jones), wore it every day, had a nice bone choker hatband, and some great burns where my Sharps Paper Cutter blew gas out of the breech onto the brim.

Got stolen while at a Denny's in Taos.

Been breaking in the 4x beaver replacement my wife got me for the last 8 years. Still working on it.

I do try to keep some hats "nice" -
the Sunday Go To Meeting 5x Stetson, The Banker Silver Belly Stetson, the Short Victorian Topper, The Bowler, and the summer "dress palm leaf hats".

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 11:03:03 AM »

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #23 on: December 28, 2015, 07:50:12 PM »
I had a really nice, plain 4" brim fedora ( think Indian Jones), wore it every day, had a nice bone choker hatband, and some great burns where my Sharps Paper Cutter blew gas out of the breech onto the brim.

Got stolen while at a Denny's in Taos.

Been breaking in the 4x beaver replacement my wife got me for the last 8 years. Still working on it.

I do try to keep some hats "nice" -
the Sunday Go To Meeting 5x Stetson, The Banker Silver Belly Stetson, the Short Victorian Topper, The Bowler, and the summer "dress palm leaf hats".

yhs
prof marvel

We are happy with not getting instant gratification.  Actually I have different hats for going different places, more than once I've came in the house with the mail, only to realize I had on sweats, no shoes and a hat, just habit, generally don't leave home with out it, have worn it to the ER when i knew I wouldn't be home for days.  I guess some of us wear hats and some just put them on for show.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline c.o.jones

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2015, 05:39:26 PM »
Clnco Peso asked a legitimate question.  People antique holsters, belts, knife sheaths, etc, etc, all the time. WHY are a few elitists slamming this guy? Is this the cowboy way? Attention Chuck Burrows, help this guy out!
NCOWS 1097
Kansas Vigilance Committee
SASS 5610 Life
NRA Life
VFW Life
USMC Forever

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2015, 06:34:47 PM »
Clnco Peso asked a legitimate question.  People antique holsters, belts, knife sheaths, etc, etc, all the time. WHY are a few elitists slamming this guy? Is this the cowboy way? Attention Chuck Burrows, help this guy out!

Never noticed anyone slamming him, he asked a question and we gave him our honest answers.  Now you calling us who give honest answers "elitist" now that could be considered slamming.   

Have you ever seen a hat that was artificially aged that didn't look fake, and please tell us how it was done?    I've worked on more hats than most people will ever see and I don't know how to do it with out it just looking tacky, are you just another one who does not like an honest answer?   Besides, what is wrong with just wearing it, seems like people don't want to but they won't tell me why.   
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Niederlander

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2015, 08:35:02 PM »
While the question is legitimate, the best way to age it is just use it.  While you can fake wear, it usually looks.........well, you know.......fake.  There are a few people who can artificially age something so it looks authentic, but they are usually doing it to deceive someone into paying more for something that's not original.  Wearing it to mow the lawn over the summer can be a good start.  Your neighbors might think you're a bit weird, but then again, mine probably do anyway...............
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2015, 10:45:32 PM »
While the question is legitimate, the best way to age it is just use it.  While you can fake wear, it usually looks.........well, you know.......fake.  There are a few people who can artificially age something so it looks authentic, but they are usually doing it to deceive someone into paying more for something that's not original.  Wearing it to mow the lawn over the summer can be a good start.  Your neighbors might think you're a bit weird, but then again, mine probably do anyway...............

Most people worry about it more than the neighbors do anyway, perhaps the best thing for many to do is if you want to look right, don't be afraid to wear the clothes, see see way to many that act like they are uncomfortable and afraid someone is going to say something. 
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2015, 07:32:29 PM »
As Niederlander said, if you're not usually a hat wearing person, just try wearing it doing yard work or other outdoor work. Outside of CAS or other shooting events, that's about the only time I wear one. A summer of mowing grass wearing it should do the trick. I also wear mine while doing farm work sometimes, one windy day it blew off and into the hay rake. It survived just fine, glad it wasn't the hay mower though.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2015, 10:14:35 PM »
As Niederlander said, if you're not usually a hat wearing person, just try wearing it doing yard work or other outdoor work. Outside of CAS or other shooting events, that's about the only time I wear one. A summer of mowing grass wearing it should do the trick. I also wear mine while doing farm work sometimes, one windy day it blew off and into the hay rake. It survived just fine, glad it wasn't the hay mower though.

And you don't have to cover you face with that nasty oily sun screen stuff.   They protect you from the sun rays and your head is also cooler, I was taught to always wear a hat out in the sun from when I was a little kid.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2015, 11:50:41 AM »
I just did a head count - I own ELEVEN period "Cowboy hats". OK- a couple of them are 'Sunday-go-to-Meeting' town hats for when I dress to suit my wife's costuming, at her insistence. Thirteen, If I count my period military forage cap and beaver fur wedge cap.

All are quality hats I paid a good price for and I'm embarrassed to say I don't wear any of them enough for wear to show. Latest one is a light brown "Montana Peak" that's as stiff as a board and is the least comfortable of all. I bought it as I didn't yet own one and it has a little extra charm.

It was sitting in the sun of the shop window with a price tag tucked dead centre into the ribbon hat band. Removing the tag showed a darker shade than the rest of the hat. Got 10% off for that. I've tried lightening it to no avail. But - I was advised to let it be as it has that 'store bought' cachet that sounds historically plausible.

Most of my neighbours (real ranchers, farmers, etc.) wear Cowboy hats as part of their daily dress., but do wear their best hats when going to town.

Once read that you can 'age' a new hat with WD-40 around the head band. Looks like sweat stains. Haven't tried it myself.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #31 on: December 31, 2015, 02:55:15 PM »
Good way to destroy the sweat band with the petroleum products in it.

Myself I use a tinny bit of Obenhauf's LP leather dressing on my sweat bands.

Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #32 on: December 31, 2015, 03:29:19 PM »
My Grandfather wore two hats (that I know of).
Both were the same style Stetsons. Silver belly, narrow brim with the cattleman crease.
The one he wore everyday would be taken in and cleaned an blocked on a rather regular basis. He didn't like looking like a Farmer/Rancher when he went into town. That is what the newer of the two hats was for.

While he was a working cow hand at the turn of the Century, I doubt he carried two hats with him. But, you don't go to town looking dirty.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2015, 07:16:09 PM »
I myself have been haunting the local thrift stores, Goodwill, and junk "antique malls" for years keeping an eye out for worn but quality hats. They come up upon occasion for 10-20 bucks, and are worth getting to work on. If one desires to leave them dirty and "trail worn" - well,  just size to fit and put in a new sweatband and Bob's Yer Uncle - real wear, real sweat, and real dirt on a real hat.

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 360
« Reply #34 on: January 01, 2016, 08:06:50 AM »
Where can I send a hat to have a new leather sweatband put in it? One of my old ones is all cracked and worn.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #35 on: January 01, 2016, 11:21:34 AM »
Professor - that's "junque" shop in the vernacular. So much more eloquent. Prices tend to somewhat higher than "junk" shop.

I myself have been haunting the local thrift stores, Goodwill, and junk "antique malls" for years
prof marvel
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2016, 02:16:35 AM »
Cliff- you might ask Delmonico, I am not sure if he is still working on hats

PJ - Danke Schoen Mein Herr, your correctification is appreciated, as my little grey cells are a tad under the weather ....

yhs
prof sniffles
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2016, 10:03:24 AM »
No I'm not at this time, may get set up on my own this summer, not sure.   

Any custom hatter can do it but normal costs are $50-$100.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Ben Beam

• SASS Affiliated Merchant (#105892)
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Ben Beam & Co. -- Old West Ephemera
  • Liked:
« Reply #38 on: March 03, 2017, 09:10:14 AM »
I know this topic is old, but I'm sure people still reference it on occasion.

The folks in Hollywood use Fuller's Earth, which you can purchase on Amazon. You can get is a little dusty without getting it truly dirty and stained.
Ben Beam & Co. -- Bringing You a New Old West -- Reproduction Old West Ephemera for re-enactors, living historians, set dressing, chuckwagons, props, or just for fun!
http://www.BenBeam.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com