Author Topic: A S&W model no. 3 with issues  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Rabbit

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
A S&W model no. 3 with issues
« on: December 15, 2015, 11:25:19 AM »
Good morning forum,
I have put some money down on a original S&W no. 3 Russian revolver at a local gun store, it is what I would call a beater. It has been refinished to the point that there is no lettering visible across the top of the barrel and it has a few dinks and scratches. I am interested in it because the bore is good and it is solid, I plan on shooting it with black powder loads. A beater, but an original.
This revolver has two issues that I would like the forums take on. The first is the half cock. When you engage the half cock, any slight pressure on the hammer will cause the hammer to fall.
The second issue is the cylinder lock up is loose, not bad but not tight. I believe, based on my experience with cap and ball revolvers, the cylinder lock on this revolver is not going to be any real problem, but I am interested in finding out what it would take to make it right.
Thanks in advance for your advice. I understood when I put my money down on this revolver it was not collectable, but it is original and I would be proud to own it.
Rabbit

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A S&W model no. 3 with issues
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2015, 11:48:00 AM »
What Model S&W #3 Russian are you looking at?

The half cock issue maybe either a damaged trigger sear and/or a half cock notch.
Either/or both of these may cause the bolt stop not to lock up properly. Both items maybe difficult to find replacements for, or to repair.
My suggestion would be to be very careful.
(I would also suggest you ask this Question in "Frontier Iron")
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Rabbit

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 12:31:59 PM »
Thank you Blair, I will repost in the Frontier Iron forum. I do like this pistol, old school, not to bad on the price. Lets see what we can do.
Rabbit

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:19:23 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com