Author Topic: Uberti SAA hand  (Read 3533 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Uberti SAA hand
« on: December 03, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
I just received a couple of Uberti hands for the SAA. The springs were separate.

Is there a trick to installing the springs in the little notch on the hands?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Uberti SAA hand
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 03:33:52 PM »
Yes.  Normally, when I order hands from VTI, They are delivered with springs attached.  I order them the way.  Surprised you received separate parts.
You need to clamp the hand securely on a solid surface.  DO NOT have the clamp on or near the little slot for the spring.  It helps to file a tiny bevel on the off side of the spring.  Align the spring with the slot and tap it in with a hammer.  Alternate method is to use a machinist
vice, and after aligning the spring as above, close the face to drive the spring into the slot.  Peen as necessary.

Coffinmaker

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 05:54:33 PM »
Thanks, Coffinmaker!

I got the parts from VTI, one new, t'other used and abused. I emailed them about it.

When I ordered, they did not have any with the spring installed. I'm on the 'wait' list.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:10:46 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:46 AM »
Just heard from VTI. Another hand is on the way to me free of charge - sans spring. The complete units have not yet come in.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
Uberti hasn't used leaf springs on their SAAs for quite a while.  Your best bet for longevity is to junk the leaf spring and drill the frame for a coil and plunger.

Offline Fingers McGee

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Fire
  • SASS #: R28654
  • NCOWS #: 3638
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
Uberti hasn't used leaf springs on their SAAs for quite a while.  Your best bet for longevity is to junk the leaf spring and drill the frame for a coil and plunger.

+1. 
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee;
SASS Regulator 28654 - L - TG; NCOWS 3638
AKA Man of many Colts; Diabolical Ken's alter ego; stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman/Pistoleer; Rangemaster
Founding Member - Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Member - Southern Missouri Rangers;
NRA Patron Life: GOA; CCRKBA; SAF; SV-114 (CWO4 ret); STORM 327

"Cynic:  A blackguard whose faulty vision sees thing as they are, not as they should be"  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 07:18:31 PM »

NEVER!!!!!!   :D

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1204
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2015, 10:19:14 PM »
I have a few Colts and 4 Uberti conversions with leaf hand springs, and each of the guns has had several thousand rounds through them without a spring issue.  However, I'm not doing a lot of dry-firing or practice with them.  The only hand spring breakage I've had has been on my 1st gen gun, and it has run a few thousand rounds after repair.   I do agree that the coil spring is the way to go for heavy usage.

One of my older Cimarrons has the coil spring and plunger in the gripframe screw hole on the left with the hollow backstrap screw.  Uberti didn't do it that way for long and I know that method has been denounced as an inferior way to do it but that particularly gun works great.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com