Author Topic: Antique ammo prices through the roof  (Read 5229 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Antique ammo prices through the roof
« on: December 02, 2015, 10:19:39 PM »
Howdy

I attended a large auction a couple of weeks ago. There were three boxes of ammunition in the silent auction part of the auction that I was interested in. There was a full box of 44 Henry rounds, a full box of 45 Schofield rounds, and a partial box of 41 Short Rimfire rounds.

The Henry rounds were not antique rounds from the Civil War, they were Remington Rounds from a bit later. But they were real  copper cased 44 Henry rounds. The Schofield rounds were Remington UMC rounds, brass cased and boxer primed. Not from 1875, but they were plenty old. The 41 Rimfire rounds were in a pretty modern looking box, so I don't know how old they were. I do know they were not the rounds made up for Navy Arms not too long ago.

I wanted all three boxes, but I didn't want to go crazy with my bids. I wrote down $100 each for the Henry and Schofield boxes, and $75 for the 41 Rimfires.

I didn't win any of them. When I went to pick up a couple of other items, I asked what the three boxes of ammo had gone for.

I was stunned to learn the box of Henry rounds went for $850! And they were not even from the Civil War! The Schofield box went for $288, and the 41 Rimfires went for $115. At least I was close with the 41s.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: Antique ammo prices through the roof
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:16:44 AM »
Wow...I'll quit complaining about my 257 Weatherby Mag ammo prices!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2015, 07:27:31 AM »
I've noticed something similar at the gun shows as well. Rounds that not that long ago you could pick up a representative copy of, just 1 round for reference, have gone way up also. I remember buying an original 44 Colt round for like .50 to 1.00 and the guy had twenty or thirty of them. Now same guy, still has twenty or more of them, but they're now 3.50 to 5.00 depending on headstamp. and that's only been a couple of years.  :o

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:22 AM »

Offline treebeard

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2015, 11:06:18 AM »
I would say there must be more collectors in the market to drive prices up that much.

Offline w44wcf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2015, 08:24:56 PM »
DJ,
Sorry to hear that you didn't win any of the auctions.
I do know that the Henry Boxes bring premium prices.

Here's a REM-UMC box and the biding is already at 1,400 with 4 days to go.
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=525968311

Winchester brings the highest prices with vintage 44 Henry boxes going for $3,000+

w44wcf
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka John Kort
aka w30wcf (smokeless)
NRA Life Member
.22 W.C.F., .30 W.C.F., .44 W.C.F., .45 Colt Cartridge Historian

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 03:53:41 PM »
w44wcf:

If I remember correctly that is what the box of Henry rounds looked like.

That's nuts!

I was toying with bidding a little bit higher than I did, but I wouldn't have won them anyway.

Don't feel too bad for me, I won a Winchester Model 1890 and a Savage 1907 semi-auto pistol in the silent auction anyway.

Not to mention the stuff I got in the live auction.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2015, 10:13:05 AM »
Antique ammo prices are up a little from what they were a few years ago.  I don't buy many single rounds, because I prefer boxed ammunition.  $1400.00 is an excellent buy on that box of .44 Rim Fire.  I've been watching it for some time now.  With 4 days left, I suspect it will go higher.  Many years ago, I bought two boxes of .44 Henry Rim Fire at the Winchester show in Cody.  One was made by Winchester and the other was a UMC box.   The Winchester box is very nice, but the UMC box is near flat new.  Both contain all of their original cartridges.  The Winchester box was very expensive and the UMC box was about the same price as the one now on GB.  I buy boxed ammo, because I love the labels and the earlier, the better.  Although I have a few Sharps boxes and some other brands, I have always concentrated on Winchester and UMC.

Buck

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 12:58:11 AM »
Here's an ultra rare one for the vendor label attached on the back:

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 05:44:12 AM »
Here is a picture of the box I have. Too bad it only has 13 rounds in it.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com