Author Topic: "The Last Hunt"  (Read 2463 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
"The Last Hunt"
« on: December 02, 2015, 04:55:24 PM »
Just watched "The Last Hunt" with Stewart Granger and Robert Taylor. Since the movie was made in 1958, the Winchester '76 and the '74  Sharps had to be originals. Like the tang sights on both. Only the '76 had a globe front.

Taylor plays a thorough bastard and I'm glad he froze to death in the buffalo hide. Too good for him. There is another such scene where the hunter crawls into the body cavity of a buff and gets frozen in. Some justice in that ....

That movie could not be made today due to the actual killing of buffalo, done during a planned cull by government marksmen.
In "Dances with Wolves", I believe that no live buffs were shot or injured.

At one point, during a 'stand', Taylor pours water down the barrel of his '76 from a canteen and you actually see steam from the muzzle! That had to be real as they didn't have CGI then.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: "The Last Hunt"
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:40:02 AM »
I liked the scene where they are reloading their empty shells for the next days hunt.
I came across it on one of the movie channels a month or so ago, but there was only about 2 minutes left of it. I haven't seen it since about 1958.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 10:22:44 AM »
I'd really like to see a remake of this movie without the 1950's melodrama.

List of stars:
- Kevin Costner
- Robert Duvall (is he still alive?)
- Tom Sellick

Who else?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:37:48 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com