Author Topic: Tang sight for a .22 LR Spencer  (Read 7876 times)

Offline Alphawolf45

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Tang sight for a .22 LR Spencer
« on: November 25, 2015, 04:49:50 PM »
     Bet that title got some attention from folks in disbelief that a .22 LR Spencer has ever been built.
           I build my own rifles and compete in silhouette matches and I win with some regularity.. I am now building a Spencer in .22 LR.. I've given my CAD software a good workout re-engineering the Spencer for .22 LR but I now have it roughed in  and it loads and extracts almost perfectly already after just a few weeks working on it.....I am confident enough now to go ahead and order sights.......Has anybody here ever installed a Marbles type post tang sight on their Spencer?  I'll only be shooting to 100 yards but want a tall enough sight that I wont have to make a spacer to raise it up.. It'd be nice if they just said how tall each sight was instead of saying it fit this or that rifle. And of course they don't make one specific to a Spencer.
     The Marbles sight on my  home built1892 Marlin - made for that model rifle- is ALL the way up for the rams at 100 yards.
             Hope you all are having a fine Thanksgiving.
 Steven

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
Re: Tang sight for a .22 LR Spencer
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 05:34:55 PM »
Woooh Nelly! You ain't getting away that easy...You tease us with the headline and then no pictures.......WE WANT PICTURES! ;D
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline Alphawolf45

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
AGREED, such wanton posts and statements NOT Supported by photos will be deleted as is the SSS policy, long standing . . . need to see these photos, ASAP!!!!!!!

Two Flints

You are very welcome to delete my post.Save me the effort posting again.. Pictures will/ or would be coming later. Nothing contoured or purtied up yet.....I will say with some arrogance that nobody does a scratch build that puts my work to shame.. I am quite talented for a poor old man that has had to pay for all his own machineshop and the bits and pieces for his guns.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:53:59 PM »

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 633
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 07:24:33 PM »
AGREED, such wanton posts and statements NOT Supported by photos will be deleted as is the SSS policy, long standing . . . need to see these photos, ASAP!!!!!!!

Two Flints

I sense that the threat to delete your post was typed with tongue firmly in cheek.  We're just far too interested in your work to be satisfied without being able to see it.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2015, 08:35:06 AM »
Alpha,
   I have seen aftermarket (I believe Pedersoli) tangs mounted on a full size Spencer.  I think they had a machined a base that tapped into the receiver wrist and extending cantilevered over the stock wrist.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2015, 08:52:19 AM »
Alpha,

You may also want to try the short base Maynard rifle type tang sight.
These short bases will fit on the standard frame sized Spencer's. They are also very much like the tang sights Spencer used on their Sporting Model Rifles.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2015, 08:20:28 AM »
Alpha,
     Please do post pictures at different stages.  I believe I speak for the majority on this board in saying that to see the process is nearly as fun as seeing the finished product.  My only metal working tools currently consists of an anvil, forge, vice and files. 

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2015, 08:34:09 AM »
Another possible source:  Montana Vintage Arms.
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Ibgreen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2016, 03:13:30 PM »
Just checking in to see how the .22 Spencer project was progressing?

Offline Snakeeater

• Top Active Citizen
  • B-3-11 SFG (ABN)
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2016, 11:54:35 AM »
So would you be entertaining the idea of making a Spencer tang sight, since, as you said, you are only shooting 100 yards, why not stick to the original manufacturer's pattern tang sight? One thing that I have noticed though with regards to the rifles fitted with the tang sights is that often the rear sight is removed because it gets in the way of using the tang sight. If you are shooting only at 100 yards, you may not really have need of a tang sight?

Is this Spencer being designed as a full-size replica or reduced scale? And what CAD software are you using for the design? Autodesk Inventor is a nice CAD-CAM software package, though I am currently doing most of my 3D modeling in Bentley MicroStation, I can export to Autocad and then import it into Inventor for the final production model.
First Cousin (Six times removed) to BGen Isaac (Stand Firm) Uwatie,  Principal Chief of the Cherokee Nation, 1862-1866

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com