Author Topic: Bumping Up a Bullet's Diameter Using a Bullet Sizing Die  (Read 4606 times)

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Bumping Up a Bullet's Diameter Using a Bullet Sizing Die
« on: November 21, 2015, 12:49:45 PM »
For quite a while I've had a box of bullets that are 300gr, .512" diameter. I've been wanting to try a 300gr bullet in my Uberti .50-95 model 1876 Winchester, but I need a .515" bullet to fit my barrel. I came up with the idea of using a .515" sizing die and an arbor press to enlarge the bullet's diameter .003" by swaging it.

As you can see, the bullet started out .512" diameter.

I placed it into the die, base down and set it in the arbor press. I used a 1/2" fine thread bolt and nut to adjust how far down the hullet would be pressed. But first I made sure the bottom of the bolt was perectly flat.  The nut is adjusted so the bolt will press down on the bullet about .030", then stop.  The nut is loctited in place. 

Using an arbor press I brought slight pressure to bear on the plunger, pressing down until the nut stops against the top of the sizing die. This expands the bullet from .512" to .515" die. Then I then flipped the die over so the base of the bullet was up. I used the die's original plunger to push the bullet back out, ensuring it was sized evenly.

I then measured the bullets and they were at .515". I did 20 bullets and all came out with their length within .001".

A couple notes:

1. The lube holes in the die must be above the area of the driving bands, otherwise lead will be extruded out the holes.

3. The bullet is .030" shorter now with a slightly wider meplat. 

Now I have some .515" 300gr bullets to try in my rifle. I'm sure I'm not the first person to do this, but it was a new idea to me.  I hope ya'll find this useful!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Bumping Up a Bullet's Diameter Using a Bullet Sizing Die
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2015, 01:13:47 PM »
The technique is called "Swaging"!

It was the common method of producing elongated bullets, especially those with hollow bases, here in the US since the mid 1850's.

Your technique is somewhat different, but serves your needs very well.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2015, 04:26:22 PM »
I admire your ingenuity! I would have looked for a .515/300 bullet mould.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:52:41 AM »

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2015, 05:44:12 PM »
I've been thinking about ordering a mold to duplicate this obsolete bullet (Ideal 512137). But I wanted to see if this light a bullet would stabilize in the 1-48 twist of the Uberti 1876. If these shoot well, I may send Tom a one to make a mold for me. I've looked at a couple stability calculators, but get mixed results. So i'll find out the old fashioned way.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 08:44:41 AM »
I started out using the 515139 lyman and blackpowder. It never gave any results with the 1-48 twist in my Uberti. It did not carry enough lube either for a string of shots. Now shooting something similar in a 400 grain and the results have much improved, still get a small amount of leading at muzzle but it will shoot a 12" group or so at 200 yds with my tang sight. I may try fire lapping at some point.
Good luck with your venture.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 11:23:18 AM »
I use the 515139 in Swedish rollers, and agree it doesn't carry enough lube.  

How about "Beagling" your current mould. The metallic tape is available at Home Depot and likely the other DIY stores.

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/MoldMods/BDE.pdf

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?117331-Mould-Enlargement-%E2%80%9Cbeagling%E2%80%9D
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 11:49:05 AM »
I've tried this bullet as is in my uberti 1876 with dismal results. I've tried the 515139 and Rapine 350 with decent results, but I know the rifle can do better. I got these 512137 from the now defunct Mt. Baldy bullet co., but it was mislabled 515139. Kind of a long story, but it was discussed here:

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,24588.0.html

If this rifle will shoot these bumped up bullets well, i'd order a mold to duplicate it.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 03:41:47 PM »
I've been thinking about ordering a mold to duplicate this obsolete bullet (Ideal 512137). But I wanted to see if this light a bullet would stabilize in the 1-48 twist of the Uberti 1876. If these shoot well, I may send Tom a one to make a mold for me. I've looked at a couple stability calculators, but get mixed results. So i'll find out the old fashioned way.

If a "given" bullet will stabilize in a "given" barrel, then a lighter/shorter bullet will almost certainly stabilize. Still, a shooting test is best.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com