Author Topic: Does anyone know if...  (Read 6546 times)

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Does anyone know if...
« on: November 20, 2015, 04:21:37 PM »
Grips for the Uberti or Armi San Marco Schofield will fit an original first model Smith & Wesson circa 1875?

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Does anyone know if...
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2015, 05:39:39 PM »
Doubtful.

In any case, I don't think any of them will be drop-ins, so they'd all require fitting.

Perhaps someone with one will remove theirs and take a photo on graph paper that you could then cut out to check, but most of the ASM Schofields retired some time ago for lack of parts and QC issues, and the Ubertis are larger.

Better yet, call Dixie and ask.

You do understand that you'd be attempting to fit European Walnut in lieu of old American Black Walnut to an original piece, right?

If you want to do it right, contact Dave Lanara - he actually has old, correct walnut.

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2015, 06:23:12 PM »
St. George, it actually has the original wood grips on it, but they've had a little shrinkage in 140 years. Sadly I can't make out the cartouches or any dates. I had hoped to put some replacements on it for shooting is all. The gun is a first model, 21XX, that's had the barrel cut down to 4 1/2" at some point. All the markings except for the US on the butt are deep and clear. The US is there but worn a bit. It's tight and tho' the bore could use a scrubbing, it and the chambers are in real good shape. Numbers all appear to match, it may have been re-blued at some point, altho there is still evidence of color case on the latch. It was a spur of the moment buy that I probably shouldn't have, as I'll be a couple of months paying it off, but hey, I've already got a number of first gen Colts, thought I'd try something different.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:12:53 PM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1203
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 06:31:58 PM »
Just a couple days ago while googling for 1861 conversions, I happened to see a discussion where someone mentioned that Uberti grips fit perfectly on his, uh, "old gun".  I have to say that because I do not recall if it was a Remington or S&W, but it was one of them.  I guess that doesn't help TOO much  :)

You may know the ASM gun, along with all its quality issues, was very close to the original in dimensions, whereas the Uberti is larger.  That might make me think ASM grips might be closest? 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 06:51:00 PM »
No.  I really don't know.  But, I was sitting here kinda bored.  So thought I'd annoy everyone  ;D

Coffinmaker

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2015, 07:10:30 AM »
Abilene, thanks, that was my thoughts as well, but figured someone else here may have already tried and would know for sure.

Coffinmaker, not annoying, heck I didn't know so I don't expect anyone else to. Just hoping real hard. ;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2015, 08:03:53 AM »
Chiming in here , with perhaps  aside information

The S&W 3 # Grips from Vintage Grips,  are all but SPOT on drop in on my Uberti #3
some minor mold flash was sanded and they are "Bob's your Uncle "

Picture(s)  if you like
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2015, 11:18:16 AM »
Within the original #3 S&W SA revolvers, there are at least three different "basic" grip shapes. Depending on the production and model type. (The DA revolvers offer a fourth shape.)
Grips will, for the most part, interchange with each other within their respective model types.

1. #3 Model type 1's and 2's are square butted. (Much like the Schofield models but will not interchange.)

2. #3 model 2's have a more rounded butt. (#3 model 3's butts are also more rounded but these will not interchange with the model 2's.)

3. New Model #3, again with rounded butt, but will not interchange with the two earlier model types.

4. The large frame DA revolvers have a grip that is very similar to the New Model #3. Again, these will not interchange.

The New Model #3's will be the first S&W revolvers to offer the hard rubber grips as a standard feature on their large frame revolvers.

Now, add to the mix of original S&W's the ASM Schofield and the Uberti and the repro #3 model 3 and the New Model #3.
Of the bunch, the repro New model #3 have the best fit to the original grips. Uberti did a nice job on getting this right.
I hope this helps.
My best,
 Blair 
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Major, I've looked at the grips from Vintage on their website and they do look good. Problem I am foreseeing is that most of the aftermarket grips are made for the Uberti, and I'm looking at grips for an 1875 or 76 vintage Smith and Wesson, serial 21XX. Not sure how close the Uberti grips are. It doesn't help that I don't have the gun in hand as I still owe a fair amount on it. I've found shootable original Schofields are NOT cheap. ;D Altho I think I've gotten a pretty good deal on this one, I'll post pictures of it once it's paid for and home.

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 02:10:58 PM »
The Pathfinder,

Vintage Grips makes copies of the hard rubber grips. (To my knowledge, that is all they make.)
These don't become a standard feature for S&W until about 1878 for the New Model #3's.
I doubt you will find this option within the 1st or 2nd model Schofield, unless it is an after market replacement. Wood grips were the most common for the standard Schofield models.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 09:38:21 AM »
Blair, the grips Vintage offers are for the Uberti gun only, won't work on mine, I know. But are nice grips what are there. As I'm probably a couple of months away from getting my 'new' Schofield paid for (two daughters in college, tuition, books etc and Christmas coming up) I figure I should at least start trying to find some viable alternatives. While the original grips would be usable and I really don't plan on firing it all that much, I would still like it to have a good set of grips on it when I do fire it.

With it's cut down barrel, pairing it up with my Artillery model Colt, both loaded with 45 Govt black powder rounds will be a hoot. ;D

Offline Flint

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2015, 01:43:10 PM »
I don't know about the Schofield, but I have an original S&W Russian which came to me without grip panels.  My Uberti Russian grip panels fit it perfectly, so I bought a set from VTIgunparts.com.
The man who beats his sword into a plowshare shall farm for the man who did not.

SASS 976, NRA Life
Los Vaqueros and Tombstone Ghost Riders, Tucson/Tombstone, AZ.
Alumnus of Hole in the Wall Gang, Piru, CA, Panorama Sportsman's Club, Sylmar, CA, Ojai Desperados, Ojai, CA, SWPL, Los Angeles, CA

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2015, 02:43:41 PM »
The Pathfinder,

I was able to check out some of the ASM first Model Schofield parts with and original of that model.
Many part were very close. I do not remember checking the grips for fit, but I believe them to be pretty close. Problem is finding them?

Flint,

Which model Uberti Russian are you talking about?
I have a couple original S&W #3 model 3 Russians and their grips don't come close to fitting the Uberti version. (Uberti being too big.)

I have found out that the Uperti version of the New Model #3 is a very good match and fit with the original S&W New Model #3's grips.
In this Uberti did a very good job of getting it right.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:02:20 AM »
And the answer is...close, a lot closer than the Uberti, but just a tad undersized. Might be better off with trying to fit the oversized Uberti ones down. Will see as I go. I'll start a new thread and get some preliminary pics up.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com