Author Topic: Anyone Reshape and Thin the Cimarron TNN Stock?  (Read 3167 times)

Offline paledun

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone Reshape and Thin the Cimarron TNN Stock?
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:23:52 PM »
I read a post this summer that included a video of the reshaping and thinning of the wrist and grip of a Cimarron 1878 or TNN SXS stock.  I believed it was posted on the SASS Wire but could find nothing with a subject search.  Thought I would try here and see if anyone had read the SASS post or knows someone who has actually posted a video of their efforts.  Any help greatly appreciated.  Paledun

Offline Reverend P. Babcock Chase

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Anyone Reshape and Thin the Cimarron TNN Stock?
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 10:30:26 PM »
Howdy Pal,

I'm in process of reshaping a Rossi hammer gun. It was far fatter and more offensive that the TNN. You should look at some old guns or photos and then simply remove the wood that shouldn't be there. If memory serves me the TNN has the lock plates blended into the round wrist. I saw the article you referred to and that guy appeared to thin the wrist enough to create a raised area around the locks that could be formed into the correct shape. Good Luck.

Reverend Chase

Offline Pit Mule

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2015, 08:02:58 AM »
Don't see the point in thinning the wrist on the TTN. Just going to weaken the wrist and shorten the stock life in my opinion. I use one exclusively in Classic Cowboy class and with average size hands have no issues at all. Although I had the wrist area laser engraved
to help with grip in rainey or sweaty conditions.
Many of the older original hammered doubles had splitting and hairline crack issues on the ones with thinner stocks. I had a pre 1900 Occidental hammered double that the wrist area of the stock had been glued and had 10 brad pins in it. Some stocks are thinner, some are thicker. Its shooters choice on what suits you.
fortdesmoinesrangers.com

Fort Des Moines Rangers
Cedar Valley Vigilantes
Zen Shootists
Nebraska Territorial Rangers
Member: The Naughty Posse
SASS #29220 ( Classic Cowboy )
NRA Life
SASS ROII
NRA RSO
Don't underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, & notice more than you realize.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:08:09 AM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2015, 03:47:13 PM »
Many new made sxs shotguns use pretty short barrels, this by itself helps keep the overall weight down.

Many of the older double barreled guns had quite long barrels. But, because they were double barreled they could also be quite heavy compared to single barreled/single locked guns of the same type.
So, the stocks were made quite thin and light to help reduce the overall weight issues.
This thin stock carries over into the cowboy time period and age.
Just some thoughts, and perhaps an explanation?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 07:22:17 PM »
...Just some thoughts, and perhaps an explanation?
My best,
 Blair

People were smaller then due to worse nutrition. As well, the more graceful wood stock styles was merely a carryover from earlier times, e.g., Pennsylvania Rifle. Also, since far more handwork was needed then than now why make more work for yourself?  ;)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com