Author Topic: '76 Sling Swivels  (Read 7039 times)

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
'76 Sling Swivels
« on: November 11, 2015, 09:00:18 PM »
      I have a Chaparral .50-95 That I would like to ad a set of swivels to.  The thing is that I would like them to be close in appearance to original Winchester swivels and I have no idea what they look like.  They don't have to be identical, just close.  I know the front swivel was free to rotate and I have no problems permanently attaching a nut or other devise on the inside of the nose cap to a stud on the swivel to accomplish this.  Are there any OTC swivels out there that would look right?

I should ad that any information as to their exact location on the stock and nose cap would be very helpful too.

Thanks

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: '76 Sling Swivels
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 11:52:06 AM »
The information you need is in Pirkle's book on the 66, 73 and 76. Very detailed about sling swivels since if not factory installed, collectors consider them a major deduction. Winchester had 2 basic types: a stud with hook and eye, and a nondetachable swivel. Both types are a stud in the fore end cap that is riveted on the inside. Through WW2 Winchester sold  the front stud, rear stock screw, hook style swivels and a sling for $1.40. You could put it on your self. The problem is that without Winchester factory tooling its hard to center the hole. The factory 76 rear swivel is a 2 screw plate 1 3/8" long and 1/2" wide mounted 4" ahead of the toe. it was inlet into the wood. The sling loop is attached. The front was the fixed loop and stud riveted through the nose cap . I personally would prefer the hook and eye because it works pretty much like modern QD swivels. I don't know if any of that type were factory installed. Jeff's outfitters used to sell a reproduction of the hooks. Dixie still list them. They also show up on ebay. If you don't have access to the book I can scan the pages and send them to you.
John

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 03:33:57 PM »
John,

Thanks for the info on the book. I wasn't aware of it and it's on my wish list now.  Unfortunately I'm wearing a temporary crown on a molar and when I get the bill for the final repair I'll be on Ramen Noodles for a long time and not because of the tooth, rather my budget.  ;D  If you could scan the pages I would greatly appreciate it.  hawkeye2@hughes.net 

Jeff's Outfitters hook & stud set isn't cheap or in stock.  I have a pair of hooks I bought from Numrich almost 30 years ago for about $5, wish I had bought a dozen.  If I could find eyes that would work I would go with them.  I had picked up a sling at a real good price a couple of months ago which is what set me to thinking about this project, well that and the weight of the '76.  Thanks for your reply and the detailed information.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:35:59 PM »

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
 A couple yrs back, I added a set of swivels to my 50-95. almost a necessity for humping the hills here in Montana.  Lets face it the thing is heavy and even throws my saddle to one side when I make my horse tote it. I viewed a lot of pictures of original swivels and machined a set for myself. You can find uppers and lowers that would pass nicely on Ebay. Bottom one is 4 inches up from toe and I machined a small flat on nose cap for a nice fit for the swivel. Nitered blued both with the screws and it looks good. You might even consider a repro trapdoor sling if the loops will allow it.

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 06:13:46 PM »
Homestead Parts has a reproduction of the factory rear sling swivel. It looks to be the right size and is held on by 2 screws. $38
Looks to be in stock.
John

Offline Gabriel Law

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2015, 12:01:22 PM »

I wanted sling swivels on my '76 too, so I filed out a pair of them.  I wasn't quite sure how the front one was attached, so I filed a flat on the nose cap, drilled it through and put a nut on the inside.  It works fine, but doesn't rotate like the originals.  The back one was easy.

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2015, 06:04:03 PM »
     I was able to pick up a new set of "fishhook" sling swivels and the proper eyes on eBay for a quite reasonable price and will be going with them.  I had a set of the hook swivels on hand but was having trouble finding authentic eyes till these showed up.  I like the idea of n easily detachable sling and this set up using a simple adjustable sling is exactly like what might have been added to a 76 after it was purchased.  I would like to thank everyone who responded for their helpful posts.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 12:21:54 AM »
Hawkeye
Hope you will post a few pictures of your rifle after you install your sling . I like the fish hook sling swivels , fast to remove or install sling .

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2016, 08:07:02 PM »
Rowdy, I'll try to post some photos after the project is done.  I had intended to do it myself and was real busy working outside taking advantage of the December weather here then I received some serious injuries such that I won't be able to do it for a couple of months so I'm going to take it to my favorite gunsmith soon as he finishes a couple of projects for me.

Offline Rowdy Fulcher

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 10
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 10:13:33 AM »
Hawkeye
Hope you a speedy recovery . I have been thinking about using the fish hook swivels . That way if I don't need the sling it's off fast  and you only see the studs .

Offline jthbjr

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 06:44:17 PM »
There is a current listing on ebay for an 1876 fore end cap with sling swivels. It it includes the rear sling attachment also. It seems to match the description of the factory swivels I posted earlier. Good to look at if one wished to make a set. Starting bid $300 for the set.  Gulp.
John

Offline hawkeye2

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 09:07:57 PM »
Nice but  :o I think I'll stick with what I've got.

Offline Cholla Hill Tirador

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 16
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2016, 10:42:27 PM »
  Here's a pretty easy way to make a makeshift sling to use until you get you swivels mounted.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,56978.msg684675.html#new

CHT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com