Author Topic: Browning Mountain Rifle won't stay at full cock; Parts?  (Read 3075 times)

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Browning Mountain Rifle won't stay at full cock; Parts?
« on: November 05, 2015, 06:20:08 AM »
Hello!  My Browning Mountain Rifle has developed a condition where it won't stay at full cock.  Does anyone know any place I might check for parts?
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Browning Mountain Rifle won't stay at full cock; Parts?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2015, 07:01:05 AM »
Niederlander,

First thing I would check would be the set trigger adjustment screw. If this is screwed in too far it might prevent the sear from engaging the full cock notch enough to stay cocked.

Next would be the pull the lock and examine the sear face and full cock notch for wear. While you have the lock out, you may find the sear and full cock work fine?

Sometimes the tang bolt can be so tight that it pulls the trigger plate deeper into the wood and this can cause the issue you are having.
Hope this may help.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

27massvol

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2015, 10:10:17 AM »
Hi-

I just had this type of problem with an 1885 Highwall. In my case, it appears to be the "trigger sear spring". This was identified by Browning expert Lee Shaver, who is a gunsmith in Missouri, I believe.

Apparently, all the low walls are also made the same as the high walls, so I just ordered 4 springs from him as I have several. These springs apparently crack over time and he has some replacements that are more sturdy. In my case, adjusting the trigger screw had no effect, and in fact. the gun "fixed itself" temporarily, which is a bit disconcerting!

Lee's phone # is 417-682-3330. It would probably be profitable for you to call him.

Good luck!

Scott

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:56:58 PM »

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »
I got it to work by a little judicious filing on the hammer notch.  It was worn (or filed, not sure which) to an angle where the sear wouldn't hold.  I wish one of the good lock companies would make a replacement.  I wouldn't need a set trigger either. I prefer a good SINGLE trigger, personally.  Right now I wouldn't have to bet my life on it working indefinitely in the middle of nowhere.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Tsalagidave

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 01:48:54 AM »
I thought I saw some spare parts for Browning locks in the S&S catalog last time I was browsing but checking now, apparently not.  Still, here are a few recommended resources. 

http://www.ssfirearms.com/search.asp

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Frazer-Brothers/123078197749440

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/list/category.aspx/632

Tough part about this is that the Browning Mountain Rifle is out of production and you may need to have a professional gunsmith make the part if needed.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com