Author Topic: First snowy day  (Read 1679 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First snowy day
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:40:50 PM »
So whadya do on a dull grey, snowy first day of the season - why, cast a buncha bullets, of course!

I spent 3 hours at the casting bench with two single cavity Lyman 4571245 moulds, alternating between them and keeping the bullets in separate lots. It was one of those good sessions where everything went well, the moulds dropping good bullets almost right off the bat, etc.

Then I ran out of propane. Fortunately there was a spare handy and the lead in the pot barely had a chance to solidify before I was back in the game. The moulds only needed one cast teach to get back up to temp because the previous bullet kept them warm.

Haven't done a count, but it looks like at least 200+.  I'm got not looking forward to the sizing/lubing ahead of me, but if ya wanna play, ya gotta pay.

It occurs to me that if the moulds were double cavity, my production would have been correspondingly higher. Gotta look into that ....

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: First snowy day
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 10:51:34 PM »
Next........an electric lead pot with PID temperature controller along with 5 or 6 cavity molds.  Of course you run a pot empty pretty darn quick!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com