Author Topic: M1860 Spencer carbine  (Read 2384 times)

Offline The Irish Mick

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
M1860 Spencer carbine
« on: October 26, 2015, 01:09:26 PM »
Hello Two Flints.
Well sir I have been prowling around your picket lines for quite sometime now.  Finally am able to get active now that I am a gentleman(?) of leisure.
 Back in '98 I purchased a Spencer M1860 carbine altered to 56-50.  It is long story, but at that time there was very little interest in shooting the ole girl, and even less information available.  My gunsmith talked me into getting her ready to shoot.  More on that story at a later date.  Surfice to say, loading to my ordnance manual I could consistently hit the target at 200 yds.
Here is the data on my carbine.  M1860 Spencer carbine altered to 56-50. Serial no.  37830.  Overall  condition is very good.  barrel has 100 % browning under the fore end, with 60 % faded on top.  Excellent  stock with a very clear ESW inspector stamp.  One interesting thing is that it still retains the M1860 hammer.  Receiver very clean, no case colours.
I hope to share photos of the carbine, and ammo boxes etc. in the near future.
Unfortunately this past summer my stock to a vote as to whether to get a new tank or get their pictures took.  Still need to get camera.

-The Irish Mick
Arizona Territory

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Re: M1860 Spencer carbine
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 02:32:01 PM »
Irish Mick,

Checked on your Spencer Carbine serial # 37830.  From my list of available Spencer serial #s, the closest I find to your serial # 37830 ARE:

Serial # 37869 a Spencer Carbine issued to Company L, 2nd New York Volunteer Cavalry in March, 1865.

And Serial # 37842, a Spencer Carbine issued to Company I, 3rd Michigan Volunteer Cavalry in June, 1865.

Hope this information is of some value to you.  Look forward to photos of your Spencer.  Serial # should match - one on the receiver and one on the barrel under the forend.

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline The Irish Mick

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 03:07:58 PM »
-Two Flints,
Thank you for the information.  Yes, all number are matching.  Without checking my Secy. of War reports, during the post war days all of the regiments (2) stationed in Arizona we served out with Spencer carbines.  That is my area of interest.  Also there were no six or ten tube ctg. boxes served out here in Arizona.   
As soon as I am able I will post ( with your assistance) photo of US army guide Dan O'Leary.  I have the only copy other than his decendants . It was taken in the Williamson Valley NE of me.  'O'Leary  was photographed kneeling in front of a wagon park , he is wearing a full set of Elk skins, and a clear shot of him holding his Spencer carbine, with the very rare sling set up as shown in the spencer book. He is preparing to guide a military guarded rail road survey to find a route to Albuguerque.  Neat stuff! I will post it as soon as II figure out how to do it.
More to come.

-Mick

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:49:27 PM »

Offline Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 04:11:02 PM »
Mick,

Send any photos you have of Spencers to my Email address and I will post them for you.

fsgrand2@fairpoint.net

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery