Author Topic: Carlos Gove Rb. conversion  (Read 3861 times)

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
Carlos Gove Rb. conversion
« on: October 26, 2015, 08:34:14 AM »
With talk about the Gemmer sharps conversion, and they are beautiful , did not want to Hijack the thread . So here is a pic. of a Rb. conversion done by Carlos Gove , A fine plains rifle with tang sight. ,,,DT

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Carlos Gove Rb. conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2015, 11:08:01 AM »
Hijack away! If it's about BPCR's of the era, we want to know about it.

Seems several people were on to the same idea - offering a rifle reminiscent of the Hawken ML's long after the advent of brass cased, self-contained ammunition.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 11:22:22 AM »
That is a beauty. It's hard to beat the clean, smooth lines of a rolling block.
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:54:03 PM »

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2015, 11:23:08 AM »
PJ,

You are quite correct.

I did not look on this as a hijacking myself, but that should come from the OP of the other thread.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2015, 11:55:40 AM »
Think your right ndnchf.  Another Carlos Gove beauty!

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 02:31:42 PM »
The only disadvantage in such a conversion I can see, is the huge drop at comb and heel, making sighting an issue especially long rang sighting.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 04:56:52 PM »
You mean like the Hawken rifles?

I've got the Hanson books on the Hawken and Plains rifles. These rifles were intended for horse carry as opposed to over the shoulder on foot. You could order sticks to be used as x-stix for long range shots.

"The barrels usually weighed 8 or 9 pounds. The gun was always sighted for 125 yards and some of these mountain men were marvelous shots with the Hawkins (sic) rifle at 100 yds.
The first conical bullet was made to order for a Hawkins (sic) rifle by a mountain man, who found that he increased the range of his piece nearly one half by adding to the charge of powder and using this bullet.
This story has some parallel to Lewis Garrard's statement in 1846 that Mr. Drinker had a Hawken rifle which used sharp pointed bullets an inch long."

W.H.R. a writer of the period also made an interesting statement about a Hawken rifle accessory:

"When desired, Hawkins furnished his customers with rest sticks - two flat pieces of oak or hickory - from 30 to 36 inches long, pinned together in the centre with a screw. They opened out in an 'X' shape and gave the hunter a capital rest whenever he desired it."   "The Hawken Rifle: It's Place in History" by Charles E. Hanson Jr.

So it appears that the x-stix and conical bullets used by modern day BPCR shooters is historically correct. Sounds a lot more practical than using a couple of wiping rods hand held for a rest.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline dusty texian

• Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 05:37:53 PM »
Seems everyone has a different hold or feel for the amount of drop on rifles and shotguns. Myself the drop pictured on the Carlos Gove rifle is a plus to me sighting for open sights. In my eye these rifles were made for the hunter frontiersman that traveled through rough country alone and with not much provisions. The wiping rod is just that a wiping rod . Handy after an evening shot at an antelope for supper. Sit down and clean your old rifle by the fire. For long range , that would proably not be the choice of many , but remember these rifles were built with the hunter in mind. Not long range target shooting like most Bp. rifles are used today.  I dont know about Y'all but a big bore hunting rifle with iron sights in a hunting situation 150 yds. or so,  is long shooting for me . If I carried that rifle every day like they did I could prob. get a bit more out of it.  Yep I think I could get along with that one. ,,,,DT

Offline ndnchf

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2015, 07:16:22 PM »
You are right DT. I think we tend to lose sight of the rifles purpose 150 years ago. It was far different than what most folks use them for today. I think that rifle is gorgeous!
"We're all travelers in this world.  From the sweet grass to the packing house, birth till death, we travel between the eternities"  Prentiss Ritter, Broken Trail

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 10:51:32 PM »
Go to the Rolling Block Group on Facebook for a pic of a knockout modern rendition of a Gove Roller.
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com