Author Topic: Fore Stock Removal  (Read 2836 times)

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Fore Stock Removal
« on: October 25, 2015, 03:43:36 PM »
I am trying to refinish the wood on my rifle, does anyone have step by step instructions on how to do this (pics be great)?
Afraid to mess up.
Thanks,

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Fore Stock Removal
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
First,
Are you talking about a "Rifle" length arm or a "Carbine"?
(it does make a difference)
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2015, 06:35:18 PM »
Is 20 inch barrel (Carbine)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:20:08 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2015, 07:01:04 PM »
Is 20 inch barrel (Carbine)

Most Uberti carbines are 19" or less.  Most Uberti 20" barreled guns are called short rifles.  So, to be sure, is your barrel round or octagonal?

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 07:26:43 PM »
Is octagonaln20 inch.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2015, 08:10:57 PM »
Okay then, a short rifle.  I copied these instructions posted by Driftwood Johnson back in '07:

"The forend surounds the magazine tube. You cannot remove the forend until you slide the magazine tube forward enough to clear the forend, and remove the underlying dovetailed piece the forend cap screws into. Most of the exploded drawings available show carbines and they are useless for this task.

First, carefully remove the 2 screws in the forend cap. Be careful because they are short, and their threaded holes in the dovetailed piece underneath are easily cross threaded. They are often not screwed in perfectly perpendicular. For safey's sake, mark which screw came out of which hole. Then slide the forend cap forward. Again be careful, the fit against the magazine or barrel may be so tight that it mars the blue on the magazine or barrel. If it is a tight fit, it only needs to come forward enough to clear the underlying piece.

Now take a small punch and drive out the small horizontal pin holding the magazine in place in the forward magazine hanger. Do not marr the pin, or its slot in the magazine. That is all that keeps the magazine in place against recoil. Trust me on this. Once that pin has been removed the magazine can be slid forward. It may need a little persuasion to get it going. Be careful as you slide the magazine forward, the follower will be loose. It may stay in the receiver, it may come with the magazine. Don't loose the follower.

Once the magazine tube has cleared the forend you can slide the dovetailed piece under the forend cap out to one side. I dunno the name of this piece, it doesn't show up on the exploded digrams of the carbines. This piece may slide out easier to one side or the other, mine does. You can also remove the forend cap now, once the magazine clears it.

Now, the forend is finally free to remove. Slide it about 1/8" forward to release it from the relief in the frame. You may have to slide a knife between the rear of the forend and the frame to pry it loose. Be very careful, do not dent or chip the wood. Hopefully you can pull it forward just by hand. Once the forend comes forward off the frame, it will lift straight off. Now you can look and see how everything interlocks and why you have to remove all this stuff to get the forend off. If you want to remove the forward magazine hanger, it rotates in its dovetail, it does not drive out from the side.

This is a good oportunity to inspect your magazine spring for rust. Slide the magazine tube the rest of the way out, and slide out the spring. Clean it if necessary.

This all sounds very complicated, but it really isn't difficult. The key is, the magazine slides into the forend with a hole that envelopes the tube, so you have to get the magazine out of the way to get the wood off.

Reverse the procedure to reassesmble. Don't forget the follower, if you removed it."

Offline Cinco Peso

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2015, 08:28:30 PM »
Thank you!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com