Author Topic: Passed up a Navy Arms Henry today.  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Driftwood Johnson

• Driftwood Johnson
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Passed up a Navy Arms Henry today.
« on: October 24, 2015, 05:26:32 PM »
Howdy

I may be kicking myself later, but I passed on an old Navy Arms Henry today. This is the model that had the lever safety just like a '73 has. SN was something like 266. Brass framed, 44-40. Looked in very nice shape, just a couple of tiny spots of rust. $750. Call me crazy, but I seem to recall these were different enough from the later Uberti Henrys that there is a problem getting parts for them. Otherwise I probably would have grabbed it, even though I already have one Henry.
That’s bad business! How long do you think I’d stay in operation if it cost me money every time I pulled a job? If he’d pay me that much to stop robbing him, I’d stop robbing him.

Ya probably inherited every penny ya got!

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
Re: Passed up a Navy Arms Henry today.
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 05:43:24 PM »
DJ
I think you did the right thing.  There are lots of parts on the old Navy Arms Henrys that are just different enough that it makes repairs a real tricky project.  Most new parts can be made to fit but you have to be real cleaver to make them work. 
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2015, 05:34:07 PM »
Driftwood,

Good decision.  Take it from a Retired Gunplumber, you wanted nothing to do with that Navy Arms rifle.  Unless you really wanted an expensive 3 dimensional wall decoration.
What you have heard in the woodwork is correct.  The dimensions of the moving parts and the Geometry of the rifle is enough different,
nothing from today's guns fits.  If something breaks, the only thing you can do, is find a "Happy Trails" that isn't retired to make you new parts from scratch.  That can be a real expensive proposition.

You should however, avail yourself of a new manufacture "Brass" rifle to go with your "Iron" rifle.  There is a rather nice example of a
Transitional available on the SASS Classifieds. ;)

Coffinmaker
(Who still wants an "Iron" Henry)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:30:02 PM »

Offline Sean Thornton

• Top Active Citizen
  • Bentonville, NC 2010
    • The Henry Repeating Rifle
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 04:21:46 PM »
Or just use reproduction 1866 parts. Mine has a hammer as well as several springs that are 1866.
"Victory thru rapid fire"
National Henry Rifle Company"
SASS 5042 LTGR

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 05:59:37 PM »
I've got one in a box looking for parts.  Aside from the differences already noted, the bolt and bolt extension are different than current production Uberti Henrys and the new ones don't come close to fitting correctly.

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2015, 03:46:07 PM »
I have used my Navy Arms Henry over 10 years. I guess not as hard as some of you's. Only thing ever replaced was the springs did that with Whisper Springs and one Uberti screw. Apparently i ned to work my gun harder, so it breaks more often.
Mathew 5.9

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
The Henry being discussed is one of the "old" ones, ie., from the 1970s or early 80s.  Much older than your ten year old Henry for which parts are still available.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2015, 06:31:28 PM »
If i could get it to NZ easly i would give it a home. Always looking for older guns to play with.
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com