Author Topic: M1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt  (Read 17509 times)

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
M1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt
« on: October 14, 2015, 01:36:45 PM »
Any of you historians out there ever run into accounts where M1909 .45 Colt New Service Revolvers were used by any unit or individual during the Mexican Punitive Expedition?  Just Curious.   
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: M1909 Colt New Service .45 Colt
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:38 PM »
Any of you historians out there ever run into accounts where M1909 .45 Colt New Service Revolvers were used by any unit or individual during the Mexican Punitive Expedition?  Just Curious.   

I haven't read about them being used, but I'd bet you money that they were privately purchased at the very least. Good, solid design in a very easy to find caliber? If I were a soldier back in the day, I'd jump all over it. Heck, I'd jump all over one today, if I could find one.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
No.

There's some indication that a few were carried by senior Officers, but those stayed closer to the flagpole, and since the Army only issued them to those who actually were allocated them by TO&E, pistols were relatively few amongst the EM, unless one counts NCOs, Cavalry Troops and Field Artillery Batteries.

Incidentally, the M1909 round differs from the standard .45 Colt by having a wider rim.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:20:08 AM »

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2015, 03:26:49 PM »
I agree that the M1909 round was wider at the rim than the .45 Colt, but some where in the back of my mind I remember reading that .45 Schofield ammo's rim was also a bit wider than the .45 Colt round so the extractor star in the S&W #3's would eject them and not slip over the rim like the .45 colt rim is prone to do in modern .45 Colt Revolvers like the Colt New Service, Colt Anaconda, and the S&W M25-5 and the S&W Mountain Gun.

I also remember seeing pictures of the US Marines in Honduras using M1909's against the rebel forces there in the 1920's.  Just a thought.

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Bunk Stagnerg

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »
I got a New Service in.45 Colt marked RCMP a Mounties gun. Does that count?
Bunk

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2015, 05:38:12 PM »
I got a New Service in.45 Colt marked RCMP a Mounties gun. Does that count?
Bunk

If you PM me the serial number, I will check it against the list in the Phillips/Klancher book, Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2016, 08:48:14 PM »
Our cowboy club is a SASS(unaffiliated)and WASA club so when I wear my Punitive Expedition uniform I carry one of my .45 LC New Services in a crossdraw and my 1911 in a strongside cavalry swivel holster. Whenever I wear my Span Am uniform I'll carry a pair of .38 DA Colts. When I wear my British garb I break out the Webleys. I proposed a SASS military category many years ago and was shot down. Maybe a Military category could be possible at a match to allow the use of DA's. I love my big old Colts. Just a thought.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2016, 10:58:35 PM »
Our cowboy club is a SASS(unaffiliated)and WASA club so when I wear my Punitive Expedition uniform I carry one of my .45 LC New Services in a crossdraw and my 1911 in a strongside cavalry swivel holster. Whenever I wear my Span Am uniform I'll carry a pair of .38 DA Colts. When I wear my British garb I break out the Webleys. I proposed a SASS military category many years ago and was shot down. Maybe a Military category could be possible at a match to allow the use of DA's. I love my big old Colts. Just a thought.

Baltimore Ed; You sound like an eager "volunteer`for The Grand Army of the Frontier, GAF.  :)

Check into The Barracks. 8)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016, 02:35:48 PM »
They'd have to change the name of the organization. But that doesn't 'splain 1911's in "Wild Bunch", does it?

Our club lets us shoot period DA revolvers in SA mode.

I proposed a SASS military category many years ago and was shot down. Maybe a Military category could be possible at a match to allow the use of DA's. I love my big old Colts. Just a thought.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016, 03:17:18 PM »
Baltimore Ed; You sound like an eager "volunteer`for The Grand Army of the Frontier, GAF.  :)

Check into The Barracks. 8)
Sir Charles; Thank you! Those were my thoughts exactly!

B Ed Here's the link:
http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?board=20.0

I proposed a SASS military category many years ago and was shot down. Maybe a Military category could be possible at a match to allow the use of DA's. I love my big old Colts. Just a thought.
That's actually how the GAF was formed. A bunch of SASS shooters who enjoyed shooting in uniform thought it would be fun to do it as a group. And, yes, we do allow (even encourage) shooting DA's.
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Hargrave

• " Prairie Smoke" Jake
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016, 09:55:49 PM »
Jake C, my local shop has a great 1909 in 45 colt with original holster .... It belonged to a tank man in wwi .. He accidentally took it home after the war and his son (an old man himself now) put it on consignment with my buddy ... I think he wants $950 .... I will get pictures tomorrow and post if I get the time to get over there tomorrow
"Prairie Smoke" Jake
Houston, TX
In matters of style, swim with the current;
In matters of principle, stand like a rock.
(Thomas Jefferson)

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2016, 04:58:34 PM »
Guys, thanks for the invite and I will investigate further but my problem is that I don't have the rifles to go with my handguns/uniforms per your rules. The only rifle other than sass .45lc long guns is a RCMP 1876 in .45-60. My Garand wouldn't work I guess. I've looked at '03s and Krags but didn't jump. My other issue is do you even muster in eastern NC? I am enjoying reading about GAF and it might be something that I can get into at some point in my retirement.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2016, 06:19:10 PM »
Ed - just for info .... that would be a NWMP '76 Carbine, not RCMP.  The NWMP association with the '76 lasted for 36 years, the longest enjoyed by any shoulder arm issued to the Force, remaining the MP standby until 1914.

From a shooting point of view, you've got the right calibre.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2016, 06:59:21 PM »
I'd like to point out that we do  have classes for sidearm only.
Right now we don't have much going on on the East coast, but would like to get something started. It appears we do have a couple of guys wanting to come back here this summer. Maybe you could car pool.  ::)

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2016, 07:10:24 PM »
The RNWMP began purchasing Colt New service revolvers in September of 1904, in .455 until 1914. From 1919 until 1942, all Colt New Service revolvers purchased by the force were in .45 Colt. ALso, after WWI the Webley Mk VI was an "ancillary" issue, used in small numbers until 1950

After 1914, the primary long arm would have been the Lee-Enfield carbine, but after WWI, the Mk III SMLE was much more prevalent.

There was a vast array of other firearms used by the Force. You would have to consult the Phillips & Klancher book, Arms & Accoutrements of the Mounted Police, 1873-1973.

P.S: There were some unusual ones, varying from the Savage 99 to the Maxim or Lewis 8)

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2016, 07:56:56 PM »
Baltimore Ed, keep in mind we in GAF have categories that cover just about any centerfire  cartridge rifle built in the 1800's.There are classes for your SASS rifles, as well as your 45-60.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2016, 08:31:04 PM »
Another good reference on the firearms of the NWMP, RNWMP and RCMP is "Small Arms of the Mounted Police", Historical Arms Series No. 6, by R. Phillips and S.J. Kirby.

Just to clarify - the NWMP acquired the "Royal" appellation in 1904 and then morphed into the RCMP in 1920 after absorbing the "Dominion Police".

Their history is a considerably more highly regarded than their current image, that being one of a distinct anti-gun agenda. But, that is politics, and we'll just celebrate their lore and legend.

Offline Pitspitr

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2016, 10:14:07 AM »
Guys, thanks for the invite and I will investigate further but my problem is that I don't have the rifles to go with my handguns/uniforms per your rules. The only rifle other than sass .45lc long guns is a RCMP 1876 in .45-60. My Garand wouldn't work I guess. I've looked at '03s and Krags but didn't jump. My other issue is do you even muster in eastern NC? I am enjoying reading about GAF and it might be something that I can get into at some point in my retirement.
As I've mentioned we don't have a lot going on on the East Coast but you may want to get in touch with Charles Isaac. As for attending the Grand Muster; If you want to attend and you only have "Cowboy guns" Come we'll find a class for what you have.

I asked Charles the following question and received the below response.

Private, have you found the registration form yet?

Where are you posted these days? There is another Recruit out on the East coast that maybe looking for a ride.

Still in NE North Carolina-near where the Wright brothers first flew in 1903!

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2016, 07:04:37 PM »
I would add, it is the rifle that determines your classification, not the uniform.  Uniforms are desired, but not required to shoot.  Your M1876 and a Colt NS would be an ideal combination for our Militia Classification.  Your SASS rifles would put you in Scout Class.  You  have everything you need allready to shoot a GAF match.  Watch a few of our videos, hang out in the barracks, look up Charles Isaac,  and come on out for a Muster!

I shoot my GAF guns at my Local SASS Monthly match, they like to watch Pony Express play our own version of the game.  Ever Shoot with ECSASS out on the NC coast?  Lot of friends of mine from my USN days out there.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2016, 08:03:53 PM »
Drydock, I wasn't sure if you were the same Drydock that I used to shoot with at ECSASS. Good to hear that you're still around and shooting.
It's been a few years. I'm still banging away, same wife, same jacked up house, different guns, retired for 2 years. Got through Irene but it was rough for a while. I've gotten curious about your military shooting game. As I said years ago in my Military category proposal to the Wild Bunch 'We all played cowboys and indians as kids but we also played army so why not a military category?' I've not shot a SASS match in a long time. I shoot WASA at Dare Co and honestly dont plan on shooting my Vaqueros. I might play SASS's Wild Bunch though as it gives me a chance to shoot in MY category even if I'm the only one.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com