Author Topic: Single shot muzzleloader percussion pistol advice/experience  (Read 2096 times)

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
Single shot muzzleloader percussion pistol advice/experience
« on: October 05, 2015, 09:47:50 PM »
Evening all,
In the last six months I've become enamored with shooting C&B revolvers.  I now have a Walker, a Navy and an Army - all Uberti's.

My range buddies have recently picked up percussion "pirate pistols" (not a historically accurate term).  They have old Spanish Jukar's (sp) that shoot really well.  They've been busting my "boys" to get a single-shot so we can have some friendly competition.
So I've been looking/researching a bit (wanting a new pistol only) that is kinda cool and reasonably affordable.
I've focused on:
- Pedersoli Kentucky
- Traditions Trapper
- Lyman Plains

From what I've learned the Traditions has the double-set trigger (plus), the Lyman is easier to take apart (plus) and I have several Pedersoli firearms so I'm confident with their quality.

I'm looking for wisdom/experience with these pistols or opinions on other potential choices.
I'm only looking to shoot 25 yard targets and 50 yard clays (for our friendly competions) with maybe a hundred or so rounds a year.
Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Single shot muzzleloader percussion pistol advice/experience
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:25 AM »
I've shot all three and have owned the Pedersoli and Lyman.

The Lyman in .50 is my choice and I'll likely buy another.
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 06:29:52 PM »
 I have a used .50 caliber Trapper percussion and I love it. I really can't speak much to quality since I am pretty much a beginner and this is the only single shot I have tried. I will say that single shot pistols are tons of fun since loading is so quick and easy compared to a revolver.

As for accuracy I have gotten a 10 shot, 4 inch group at 25 yards using 20 grains real black powder, .490 ball and .012 patches lubed with muttontallow/beeswax. When I ran out of .012 patches and used some 100% cotton cleaning patches that were noticeably thinner the accuracy suffered quite a bit.

Advertising

Offline Galen

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 25
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 07:11:25 PM »
I have been shooting a Lyman .50 for many years. A great pistol.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 07:34:58 PM »
I have a Lyman 54 that will shot right along with my 54 custom Hawken. Good sights and trigger. I got it as a kit and have made a few others for friends. All have shoot well.
Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline hatman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 09:06:25 PM »
Thanks for the responses.
Sounds like the Lyman is a solid choice, but I'm not currently finding a 50cal for sale.
It also sounds like the Trapper is not a bad choice and I'm finding it available.  Plus I like the double-triggers (if they work) and the extra brass bling.
I may just get the Trapper and later on the Lyman.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com