Author Topic: Northfield Minnesota  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Johnny McCrae

• Bristol Plains Pistoleros, Sweetwater Regulators
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The older the violin, the finer the music
    • Johnny McCrae
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 265
Northfield Minnesota
« on: September 29, 2015, 11:24:51 AM »
Last weekend we were in the Twin Cities visiting our daughter. We drove down and toured the Northfield Historical Society's exhibit about the James -Younger raid in Northfield, Minnesota. It is a small exhibit but it does contain some interesting information and firearms. If you are ever in the immediate area, it may be worth a look. I'd have done a slide show on the exhibit but no pictures were allowed inside.

Here is a link to their website http://www.northfieldhistory.org/bank-site/
You need to learn to like all the little everday things like a sip of good whiskey, a soft bed, a glass of buttermilk,  and a feisty old gentleman like myself

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Northfield Minnesota
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 05:51:32 PM »
As with the Dalton's in Coffeeville, KS, the mostly unarmed citizens of Northfield, armed themselves and shot most of the members of the James-Younger gang to dollrags! Interestingly, Jesse and Frank escaped unharmed.  As I understand it, it was probably Jesse who killed the banker, but Frank took the blame and went to prison. Frank was eventually released after a number years and went straight. Jesse went to straighten a picture, and Bob Ford sent him straight...to h#ll on a shutter!

In spite of these famous holdups and such, the average citizen was generally safer on the streets of Dodge City or Tombstone than people are on the Southside of Chicago nowadays!  :(
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 08:44:51 PM »
Trail rider, Frank James was never convicted of anything and never served time in prison.  Several months after the coward killed Jesse, Frank turned himself over directly to the governor of Missouri.   Some say with the agreement he would not be extradited to Minnesota.   He was tried for robbery and murder in Missouri and found not guilty by a jury of his peers.  The Younger family served time, and when Cole was paroled, he returned to Missouri where he and Frank had a Wild West show.   

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:46:52 AM »

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 108
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 05:26:05 AM »
...As I understand it, it was probably Jesse who killed the banker, but Frank took the blame and went to prison...

Cole Younger purportedly said late in life that the man who shot the cashier Heywood rode a dun horse, i.e., Frank James.

Here's a photo of a duster taken from one of the outlaws in Northfield. Notice how it bears little resemblance to the Hollywood 'Spaghetti' Western versions:

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
My personal take on the James-Younger gang has been that Frank and Cole were the brains, and to an extent the more ruthless members.    Both had been in the war longer than any of the other members, saw more, did more and probably suffered more effects.   I think they allowed Jesse to be the voice/bluster and happily sat back in more anonymity.   

I think Jesse is a classic case of what happens to child soldiers as he was ~15 when joining Bloody Bill's band (Africa is unfortunately full of them at the moment).   

My support in this is I do not believe there is a record of Frank participating in any activities after Northfield.   From that point forward, Jesse is in "control", but becomes paranoid, killed a gang member, and trusted the wrong people.   Just my $0.02 on them. 

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2015, 10:11:01 AM »
Trail rider, Frank James was never convicted of anything and never served time in prison.  Several months after the coward killed Jesse, Frank turned himself over directly to the governor of Missouri.   Some say with the agreement he would not be extradited to Minnesota.   He was tried for robbery and murder in Missouri and found not guilty by a jury of his peers.  The Younger family served time, and when Cole was paroled, he returned to Missouri where he and Frank had a Wild West show.   

I stand corrected. Thanks!
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2015, 11:06:37 AM »
No worries, as a Missouri Gorilla, I have to ensure the propaganda is spread. :D

I have been doing some reading on Frank, so it was fresh in my head.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
My personal take on the James-Younger gang has been that Frank and Cole were the brains, and to an extent the more ruthless members.    Both had been in the war longer than any of the other members,...

Cole was a guerilla early on in the war and was at Lawrence, KS. Jim was purportedly with the guerillas from 1864 on so it appears that the wartime experiences of these two mirrors exactly those of Frank & Jesse.

Offline Doc Croaker

• NCOWS Member
  • Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2015, 01:44:27 PM »
Curious where that duster is located? That's not one I've seen in all my haunts... Thanks

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 02:02:57 PM »
Am I off base, or is this duster cut like a CW great coat?
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 07:34:17 PM »
Curious where that duster is located? That's not one I've seen in all my haunts... Thanks

In the museum there I believe.

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2015, 02:47:29 AM »
Here's the duster reportedly worn by Cole Younger:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com