Author Topic: 1866 project  (Read 3883 times)

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
1866 project
« on: September 28, 2015, 02:36:43 PM »
Ok, about a year ago I bought a uberti 66 in 44-40 off of gun broker cheap.  about 450.  it stated the gun was pretty hoggy but for that, I figured I could play with it.  I have a couple 73 that I use in SASS and wanted something earlier to go with my cap and ball pistols. It arrived, the add was right.  I couldn't even get the lever open.    Took it all apart, it was full of junk and I cleaned it up.  I did take notice of the insides surfaces resemble what would look like from a sand casting.  Very rough.  The togle ling and other innerds were not that smooth.   I had some parts left of from a short stroke project I did on a 73.  the fit.  And a couple of hours with a drimmel tool, fine stone, polished out the bearing surfaces nicely.  New sprints from VTI and the gun cycles nicely.
I shot it pretty much all last year with goex 3f and DD big lube.  Absolutely no issues.

OK, now I'm thinking, Id really like to see if I can convert it to 44 Russian.  the rational, more closer to the 44 rim fire cartridge.  I get the barrel in 44 special from VTI, and the carrier from the smith shop.  I claim the fame of being more of a parts butcher-er than anything else during a DYI.   I have a barrel vice and so took the rifle apart, and pulled or the barrel with no problems.
thats when the problems start.  as I'm screwing the 44 special barrel in, i take notice of a bit of a different cut on the 44 special barrel than the 44-40.  At the end of the threads on the 44 barrel, there is a void cut about 1/8 inch long.  Looking at the 44 special barrel at the end of the threads, there is a spot milled down, but no void cut.   I'm looking at the barrel I took of the 73, and the special looks just like it.  Plus theres about 3/8" more threading on the special barrel too.
I sent a note to VTI on the barrel, they said I had the correct barrel of the 66.  I then stated apparently not for this receiver, and asked to return the barrel.  Their response was, enjoy your new barrel.

so anyway, I've put the 44-40 barrel back on and restored the rifle to the before the 44 Russian project.

My question is, and I'm guessing here, does anyone have a history on uberti manufacturing? did the maching change some time.  My rifle has the date stamp BD and  looking at the codes that stands for 94.

Comments?
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308
Life SASS # 59784 ROI and ROII

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: 1866 project
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2015, 05:26:23 PM »
This is probably not the answer you want, but ............. Yes, there have been many changes in the machining, dimensions and geometry
of the '66 throughout it's production.  There are no definitive dates when version "A" stopped and version "B" started.  The changes have
all been incorporated into the guns as parts for "A" ran out and parts for "B" were introduced.  There are many small changes that have taken place, such as the change from a loading ladle that never breaks to a new improved loading ladle that always breaks.  Lots of
major changes too.  The appearance of the wrist area inside the frame use to be hollow and full of lots of casting sand and machine
swarf.  Now the interior of the wrist is cast solid and machined.

Now, finding a barrel for your rifle.  From Uberti parts stock ..... nada chance.  Once Uberti changes, they DO NOT support the "old" guns.

If you want to pursue your desire for your '66 to run 44 Russian, your best bet is to have your current barrel machined out and either a
44 Special or 44 Russian chamber sleeve made for it.  I current shoot a '66 that was chambered in 44 Special.  the chamber is VERY generous indeed.  While it will run 44 Russian cases (Smith Shop Carrier) it will only run smokeless in the short cartridges.  With black or
Subs, the chamber fouls out in about 6 rounds.  If I get the chance, I'm having the chamber sleeved to 44 Russian which will cut the blow-by significant amounts.  Just some thoughts.

Coffinmaker

Offline tommy4toes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2015, 05:39:29 PM »
Sounds like a chamber sleeve is the way to go. I bet you could sell the Special barrel here to somebody with a newer receiver.

t4t

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:23:14 PM »

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:02 PM »
Thanks coffinmaker, I sorta figured that was gonna be the way to go if in I still wanted the 44 Russian route.
But you know, there still ain't a better cartridge to shoot black powder in than a 44-40.     Oh well
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 07:47:31 AM »
Come on Pappy - you know you're never going to be any more of a gamer than I am.  Give it up and load up that 44WCF and make all the smoke you can!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 09:27:49 AM »
Hey Guys.  Unfortunately for us what had delusions of yesteryear .......... we forget some rather glaring tenants.  Well, and some other
stuff.
The bestest cartridges for BP in lever rifles are ..... 32-20, 38-40 & 44-40.  Pick one.  Run very very clean.

When one gets a wild hair to do something (not me ....... ) one should first take the subject out to the range and make sure it will do
what you want.  BEFORE attacking it with a hacksaw.  Not that I would ever forget to do that. 
I wanted a '66 Trapper, with octagonal barrel, shooting 44 Russian cases, to go with my 44 Colt Open Tops.  Bought a lightly used '66,
a Smith Shop Carrier and just call me hacksaw.  I now have a nifty '66 Trapper, 16 1/4 inch barrel, shooting 44 Russian cases.  Ah, but
only with smokeless.  Very Generous chamber fouls out in about 6 rounds with BP or Subs.  Phooey.  Need to have the chamber sleeved.
I would have this problem AFTER I retired and sold off my machines.  Oh well.

Coffinmaker

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 09:33:45 AM »
Pappy,
Just give me the carbine, and you won't have the problem any more!  If that doesn't suit you, how about a trade for my H&R Trapdoor??

I could use a 44-40 in a carbine...of course, I'd have to have another trapdoor, but that would be my problem!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 02:39:32 PM »
Until a company produces a copy in 44 Russian or 44 colt (dont hold your breath) buy a 44 WCF and have fun with BP or smoke less.
It is easy to load, case stay clean if loaded with a decent load.
I would buy a lever in 44 short case ( i do have a 44sp and a few 44WCF) but dont lose sleep over it.
 ;D
Buffalochip

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 06:33:13 AM »
NAG NAG NAAAAG NAG NAG,  even from my own club buddies.................. 
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2015, 07:37:05 AM »
Now Pappy, do you call it nagging when your wife is simply educating you on something you aren't sharp enough to figure out for yourself?  Just because you're so slow she has to repeat the lesson multiple times?!  :o

If you want to be a BP gamer, get yourself a set of 32-20's, like I'm doing.......... ;)
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2015, 07:41:16 AM »
NAG NAG NAAAAG NAG NAG,  even from my own club buddies.................. 

I resemble that remark!
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2015, 02:15:04 PM »
Nah.  I want, I want, I want, I want ............ Waaaaaaaaaaa.
What I want, is, for Uberti to make us a Henry and a '66 chambered for 44 Henry Central Fire, and ammunition made with copper cases
that will obturate and seal the chamber.  Oh, ya, and 71/72 Open Tops also chambered in 44 Henry Central Fire.

Of course, we all know what the chances are of that happening.  In the interim, I would find an 1866, chambered in 32-20 to be most interesting.  And, to find somebody to sleeve the chambers and barrel on a pair of Open Tops to 32-20.  Swell BP gamer guns.

Although .......  ;D  I actually have the ultimate BP Gamer guns (I'm only a gamer when it my turn to shoot  ::)).  Pietta 1862 NYM Police,
.36 Cal, and the barrels cut to 3 1/4 inches.  Balance is MARVELOUS.  Very LITTLE recoil and I'm shooting the EPP UG-36 bullets.  What a
HOOT!!

Coffinmaker

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2015, 04:57:20 PM »
This may sound like a hijacking of this thread, and I apologize.
But I have to ask, what is an "1862 NYM Police"?
Is this anything like the 1862 Pocket Police or 1862 Navy Pocket revolvers?
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2015, 05:12:57 PM »
I didn't know the New York Mets were around in 1862. 

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2015, 07:12:40 PM »
Blair,

Similar.  1862 New York Metropolitan Police.  5 inch barrel.  Built on 1851 frames.  Fluted cylinder.  Pietta.  Peddle'd by EMF.
Real nice Silver Plate TG & Backstrap with lanyard ring.  Really cool looking/shooting pistols.

Coffinmaker

Offline Pappy Myles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2015, 11:32:09 PM »
Yeah BPB, knowing what  we both shoot, and the times we turn in, I don't think either one of us come close to the gamer category.
Lol
The original intent of the 44 Russian was an experiment in trying to replicate as close to the original 44 rim fire the 66 originally shot.     I was inspired to prusue the venture by one of the shooters in our posse in August that had a uberti Henry in 44 Russian.
NRA Patron Member
NRA Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
TSRA Life Member
USMC Vet
Dirty RAT # 308

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com