Author Topic: Bear with me .....  (Read 4298 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Bear with me .....
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:49:28 PM »
My wife loves bear stew and bear sausage, so every year I get a bear tag. This year I don't have to.

Two of my neighbours (anyone within 5 miles is a "neighbour") are game guides as well as ranchers. Got a call from the wife of one yesterday asking if I had taken a bear yet.

One of her husband's clients had taken one and only wanted the hide, hind quarters and tenderloins. We were offered the rest.

It's cooling right now and Saturday morning there will be a cutting and wrapping frenzy. On top of the moose, deer and beef already in the freezer, I'll be gifting a lot of folks with some game meat.

When someone tells me that they don't eat game, I tell them that I have a package of wieners in the freezer I'll throw in a pot for them.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: Bear with me .....
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 05:01:23 PM »
On the bucket list to eat bear .... that and EMU ....and have Green Turtle Steak just once more  :(

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 05:40:00 PM »
My SIL is a fisherman, and now getting into hunting. The Phillipina housekeeper is getting quite used to putting the bearburgers or salmon steak on the BBQ! I just bought my licence and tags for Blacktail & Bear and we plan on a short trip to the hinterlands of South Vancouver Is.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:42:12 AM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 07:15:02 PM »
Bear is a very rich meat. If you can eat 'X' amount of venison, you will eat less of bear.

While visiting a neighbor who lives off the grid, we heard from another "neighbor" today (they live WELL of the grid) that a Grizzly is making off with entire sheep! She called the Conservation Service and was told to deal with it.

She has kids and is alone most of the week, her hubby on the road driving. Even though none of us has a Grizzly tag, we've told her to give us a call.

Gotta bear problem? Who ya gonna call - "Bear Busters"!
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 07:29:27 PM »
Sir Charles, I don't know how the Philipina housekeeper likes the bear burgers, but I bet she takes care of her share of those salmon steaks. No salmon in the Philippines, but grilled tuna or marlin steaks are real popular, but a bit pricey for the average folks there. Other kinds of fish are often grilled whole.

M-2, a few years ago you could have gotten Emu steaks pretty easy around here. All those people that were gonna get rich raising emu suddenly found no market for them, some just turned them loose. I think the coyotes and the climate eventually "took care" of them.

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2015, 08:37:14 AM »
Haven’t had bear yet, but I did have a a lion steak at an exotic restaurant in Milwaukee WI.  And I did have Green Turtle steak in Key West way back when I visited my Grandmother when I was a Senior in high school.
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2015, 10:13:03 AM »
Another response to the "I don't eat wild meat ..." types is:

"Ok, I'll take it home, inject it with anabolic steroids, red dye and antibiotics, put it on a Styrofoam tray, cover it with plastic wrap and you can pretend it's beef."

The brighter ones get it, t'others give you a blank look.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 06:59:06 PM »
Spent 5 hours today assisting a pal (a real Cowboy and licenced trapper) cut up my gifted bear. He's a licenced trapper and has been a skinner/cutter for guides most of his life. Watching him do it was an education.

Now we've got several pounds of prime bear in the freezer - steaks, roasts, sausage meat and jerky strips.

I gave him a set of four useable tires for his horse trailer, one roast and a package of stew meat. He'll also get some of my wife's home made sausage. He refused cash.

Great to have neighbours like that!

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 396
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 10:59:01 PM »
Spent 5 hours today assisting a pal (a real Cowboy and licenced trapper) cut up my gifted bear. He's a licenced trapper and has been a skinner/cutter for guides most of his life. Watching him do it was an education.

Now we've got several pounds of prime bear in the freezer - steaks, roasts, sausage meat and jerky strips.

I gave him a set of four useable tires for his horse trailer, one roast and a package of stew meat. He'll also get some of my wife's home made sausage. He refused cash.

Great to have neighbours like that!

Trading is the way of life in many rural areas. I recall when I spent my teenage summers on my Uncles ranch. The hay in that valley ripened successively from south to north. It was only natural that they pooled resources, forming a larger, more efficient haying crew to follow the ripened crop. And neighbours were always available in a crisis.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 10:21:00 AM »
My Cowboy friend is one of several people I know around here that either live off the grid, don't have deep wells or both. Hauling water for live stock is not my idea of a good time when it's -36C.

Ask them why they do it and they'll tell you they wouldn't (or couldn't) live any other way. They are either starting from scratch or rebuilding their lives after various tragedies, failed marriages and other vicissitudes of life. They don't have Iphones (we are beyond cell service in any case), satellite TV or computer service and don't miss it or want it.

Life is simpler and very much attuned to the seasonal requirements. Spring is lambing/kidding, spring is planting/growing, summer is harvesting and fall is the time for making meat and making wood. In between they find time to reroof the barn, build a new shed, tend the neighbours horses when they are elsewhere and lending a hand wherever it is needed.

Your good name and reputation are very valuable assets and while everyone seems to know about me, I still know very few of them. I tend to mind my own business, don't hang around the general store, meet at the Co-Op or stock auction so I'm generally not in the know, the last one to hear what's going down on the creek.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com