Author Topic: Schofield won't fire?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Schofield won't fire?
« on: September 19, 2015, 04:19:32 PM »
Today I borrowed a friend's Cimarron (ASM stamp on barrel) Schofield in 45 Colt. Fortunately I did not try and shoot it as a main match gun. I did try putting a few rounds through it after the match.

It would not shoot.

The trigger pull seems light enough (for stock) but when the trigger is pulled the hammer only falls to the half-cock position. The firing pin make it no where near the cartridge.

If you really give the trigger a yank some of the time the hammer will fall all the way and set the round off. But the trigger almost feels like it is a two stage trigger with take up, then release.

Is this a passive safety problem or something else?

Thanks for any help. It's a durn purdy gun, just won't shoot.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Schofield won't fire?
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2015, 05:00:09 PM »
You posted the same question over on the SASS wire.  Bottom line is the ASM Schofields are junk with zero to marginal QC.  It has been a while since I have messed with one as most have long since bit the dust and are no longer in service.  The Uberti has a passive safety.  I don't recall there being one on the ASM Schofield.  (Again, it's been a while.)  The only way to tell for sure is to open it up and take a look.  There are no spare parts and most have been relegated to wall hanger status.

Offline Cowtown

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 85193
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2015, 06:12:18 PM »
Thank you for your assistance, Pettifogger. Yes I did post the same question on the other site. I figure if I have to give the owner of this Schofield bad news I would want the most detail in explaining to him what the issue is and being able to break it to him easy. He's rather fond of this gun and has not shot in quite a while. I have no doubt he will be disappointed in my news.

I may see if he wants to take it apart and fiddle with any passive safety if one exists and see if that makes any difference. I did find a good disassembly video online that can walk me through that. I guess at this point only experimenting will tell.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:08:33 AM »

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2015, 07:33:57 PM »
Yep the ASM Schofields did have a variety of issues.  One of the big ones was they would tend to break open when fired.  If the one you shot stayed closed when it did fire, at least it's got that going for it  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com