Author Topic: .43 Spanish  (Read 10435 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.43 Spanish
« on: September 18, 2015, 08:24:02 PM »
How many load for the .43 Spanish? A few years back, I was going to order a RB from Lone Star when a very nice Argentino came my way. The bore was excellent.
I had the barrel lopped by 9" (it's still 30"!) and I reshaped the fore end to resemble a Trapdoor carbine, ending esthetically an appropriate distance ahead of the barrel band. Wish now I had it cut even shorter to 28".

The .43 Spanish is the ballistic twin of the .44-77 Sharps BN. Venturino says he doesn't understand why the need for re-inventing the wheel was necessary.

My brass is a mix of BELL and reformed .348 Winchester from Buffalo Arms. I don't know if the BELL brass is still available. and someone told me that BA won't (can't) ship brass across the DMZ any more.

I'd be interested in your experience loading for the cartridge - grease cookie? bullet type? powder charge? All that stuff.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: .43 Spanish
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2015, 02:59:44 PM »
In my internet travels, I tracked down an original Argentine carbine in .43 Spanish. Looks pretty spiff!

I can get it for less than half of what a Pedersoli 45-70 Sharps carbine goes for here in Canada. I'm already set up to load for it and it will make a good companion piece for my 'sporterized' rifle.

Whadya think .... ?
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:05 PM »
Sounds like it's worth a try.  Any new toy to experiment with is good - no matter what happens, you'll learn sumpin'!  ;D
SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:38:43 PM »

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2015, 04:23:06 PM »
I've always was going to get a RB in .43 Spanish just never did.  I have lost my desire to shoot BP cartridge rifles over past couple of years so I doubt I ever will, but since you still enjoy it and if the price is right you should go for it.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2015, 11:19:13 AM »
Shooting BPCR's is a lot of work, no doubt. Casting, sizing, lubing, loading, etc. That's after getting the wherewithal together to shoot it.

However, if you wanna play Cowboy, BP is your guns is as good as it gets. Bets the hell out of "IPSC in Cowboy boots." Guys I knew in IPSC went over to CAS when it became apparent it was an easier game for them. No recoil to contend with and the fun of three gun (four if you count the 2nd pistol) events.

Shooting history is what original guns is all about. I've had pals in the game that shoot only originals and with BP exclusively. They add colour and class to the game. One just lucked onto an original Colt SAA with a letter of provenance dating it to 1879.
It's a "Sunday-go-to-meeting" gun fer shure .....

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2015, 12:26:05 PM »
PJ:  Sounds to me like a no-brainer!  Just go for it.  Your 'carbine' is such a nice shooter...how can the rifle be less?  For this next summer's coming matches, I'm going Smokewagon, and looking forward to it a lot.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »
PJ, are you an NCOWS member? I believe we have some Canadian members.  I think we would be right up your alley.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 407
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2015, 06:28:52 PM »
I tried finding an old article on www.scorrs.org concerning reloading the .43 Sp. Could find it - yet, but will keep trying. I did find this, containing a relevant article at page 17.

http://bibliotecavirtualdefensa.es/BVMDefensa/i18n/catalogo_imagenes/grupo.cmd?path=71177

Another discussion;

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/archive/index.php/t-139603.html

The problems we all note with reloading the .43 Sp were typical obsevations of the day. The REFORMADO Cartridge was developed to solve the problem by altering the chamber to a longer straight case with bullet diameter slightly altered. The barrel had to be set-back to complete the conversion.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
PJ, are you an NCOWS member? I believe we have some Canadian members.  I think we would be right up your alley.

Will Ketchum

At this time in my life, I'm more inclined to be an NCOWS shooter. SASS has gone where I don't want to go.

I enquired about NCOWS and was told I needed a minimum of 8 (?) shooters to establish an affiliation. At that time they didn't offer an individual membership.  If I could interest a few to shoot NCOWS, it would be great to have a chapter.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2015, 06:46:24 PM »
PJ:  Sounds to me like a no-brainer!  Just go for it.  Your 'carbine' is such a nice shooter...how can the rifle be less?  For this next summer's coming matches, I'm going Smokewagon, and looking forward to it a lot.

I did acquire the .43 Sp. carbine at a good price.

I think you're referring to my '74 50-70 that cleaned the "Quigley" match off hand. This carbine I in .43 Spanish and I expect it to kick like a Kentucky mule! The round does make a little fuss in my .43 RB rifle, but it's manageable.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 08:43:15 PM »
At this time in my life, I'm more inclined to be an NCOWS shooter. SASS has gone where I don't want to go.

I inquired about NCOWS and was told I needed a minimum of 8 (?) shooters to establish an affiliation. At that time they didn't offer an individual membership.  If I could interest a few to shoot NCOWS, it would be great to have a chapter.
I don't know who would have told you that. NCOWS has always had individual memberships.  We have had them from as far away as The Netherlands.  When I first joined there wasn't a NCOWS posse in Wisconsin.  I think Rattlesnake Jack is or at least was a member.  I am a past NCOWS senator and past secretary so I am fairly well versed in it's history.  I also moderate all their child boards here at Cas City.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 08:49:54 PM »
PJ; Check out my tagline with NCOWS Membership number 1154. I am an "Alone Ranger" 8)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 10:39:15 AM »
That's good news - membership at large. However, unless one is will to travel great distances to a shoot, it's pretty moot as an exercise, no?

However, I will let it be known. I mentioned it once and got some positive feed back. I know that I'm not alone for my dislike of what SASS has become (IPSC in Cowboy Boots).

I will ask folks to check out NCOWS and perhaps we can form a possee.

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 62
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 07:57:02 PM »
I am the National Secretaryfor NCOWS. I have been a life member for years, an Individual member before that. In spite of my life membership, my wife Carolinetook an individual membership instead of a "family membership".   That is how much we believe in NCOWS. When we joined, there was NO posse in NCOWS in Texas. However,that was overcome and we had three Texas posses, until two of the clubs lost there ranges. Still, NCOWS is alive and well in Texas, and my current posse, The Berger Sharpshooters, still host the annual southwest regional shoot every year. It is well attended by those that aren't really in our region. So all I can say is get some members together and start a Canadian Posse. It only takes 5 members of NCOWS to get started. Please look at By-Law1-3. It will give you all the info you need to start a new posse. We would completely welcome a Canadian posse!
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
We're way off topic here .... but, I think there might be enough disillusioned burn outs to form a posse. I'll keep trying.

I've been into historical re-enacting for decades, and come from the CAS era when it was one gun - usually a .44 or .45 with REAL loads.

My wife is a seamstress extraordinaire, making all her own ball gowns, shooting costumes, pants, shirts and vests for me.

A few of my associates have ALWAYS been the true of the true, shooting BP in authentic guns in authentic dress. A few of them are or have been real Cowboys and/or rodeo participants.

You won't find these guys shooting .38 wimp loads! One shoots a Spencer as his match rifle.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2015, 11:26:15 AM »
We're way off topic here .... but, I think there might be enough disillusioned burn outs to form a posse. I'll keep trying.

I've been into historical re-enacting for decades, and come from the CAS era when it was one gun - usually a .44 or .45 with REAL loads.

My wife is a seamstress extraordinaire, making all her own ball gowns, shooting costumes, pants, shirts and vests for me.

A few of my associates have ALWAYS been the true of the true, shooting BP in authentic guns in authentic dress. A few of them are or have been real Cowboys and/or rodeo participants.

You won't find these guys shooting .38 wimp loads! One shoots a Spencer as his match rifle.

PJ, regardless of the outcome of your posse endeavors I know you would be a welcome asset to NCOWS.

Will Ketchum
Madison, WI

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2015, 05:30:42 PM »
PJ; With myself, that's Two, I think. (I'm still in old math.)  Gabriel Law, Rattlesnake Jack now who else will chime in ???

It may be not so simple.  We are too spread out to form a posse that has access to a range of our own, all together. If a range co-located with the 5 Pards is required, then Hefley Creek should be the focus.  BTW; As I Speak type, I am visiting my Nephew in Kamloops.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2015, 07:20:34 PM »
We regard Kamloops as a suburb of Vancouver .... ;>)

I'd suggest that our 500m range in Quesnel would be a better centre for an NCOWS posse. That way we can attract folks from PG and points north as well as Williams Lake.

In addition, we have several pistol ranges, one 100m in the mix.

Without knowing it, many of us have been shooting to an NCOWS standard for years. Only time I'm aware of it is when we go to shoot with the big guns at a SASS event.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 638
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2015, 07:58:22 PM »
Keep talking and you'll convince me to move up from Washington to join... ;D

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 10:28:34 AM »
My hat's off to you! Many Americans were at the recent SASS Canadian Championships held at Mission, BC east of Vancouver.

I have developed an aversion to crossing the DMZ of late, especially with firearms. Your people are a mite difficult to deal with and OURS impossible!
 I resent being hassled trying to bring my own guns back across what used to be the longest, friendliest undefended border in the world.
Best way for an American is to have a Canadian RPAL - Restricted Possession & Acquisition Licence, the endorsement that allows handguns.
Handguns are the Devil's Right Hand in Canada, requiring registration since 1934. Doesn't do anything to stop the gang bangers from getting one, shootings in our major cities a regular occurrence.

We are less than a  month away from a national election. Two of the major three parties are anti-gun and would bring back the long gun registry, ban or further restrict handgun ownership.

Things will change one way or the other, like they will if Hillary Clinton gets elected in the USA.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com