Author Topic: She Ain't a Revolver, But She is a Colt.........  (Read 5668 times)

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
She Ain't a Revolver, But She is a Colt.........
« on: September 17, 2015, 04:02:01 PM »
Here's my current project, an 1891 Colt Lightning Rifle in 32 WCF.  I bought her as a "wall hanger", but thanks to an excellent local gunsmith to make a few screws and pins, and some USFA parts, she seems to now be functioning well.  One thing I learned during this is that 32WCF Lightnings have two long screws in either side of the action just above the loading gate.  They are to keep the small cartridges from coming off the carrier.  Thank goodness I found a great local gunsmith that could remove the buggered ones and make new ones - nobody makes them to sell aftermarket that I could find.

The only remaining issue is that the barrel is rough as a cob, and there is a huge pit in the chamber.  To fix that, I'll have the barrel relined.  Fortunately, my local guy will only charge me about $250 for the job instead of the $500 to $600 I've been quoted from big name sources in the business.  And I know he does great work, as he's the one that restored my "New Old '73" I've shown in the Winchester '73 forum.

I should have a total investment of about $1,000 in the rifle after relining the barrel.  I'm quite happy with that to add a functional original to my collection.  The outside of the barrel is pristine - no corrosion and with crisp lettering.  I'm even thinking of rebluing and case hardening the receiver, hammer and buttplate.

SUBLYME AND HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
Re: She Ain't a Revolver, But She is a Colt.........
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:42:51 PM »
Now, with the revolvers in 32-20, you have a black powder cartridge category "gamer" set up!
So...where is your 20 ga SxS?
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 05:21:26 PM »
BB that is a very good looking Lightning rifle. Good on Ya for bringing her back to shooting condition.,,,DT

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:10:55 PM »

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 10:08:35 PM »
Troy,

Yep, while folks tend to think of me as a warthog, I'm more accurately interested in authenticity.  I shoot original cartridges as they were loaded "back then".  As you say, the 32WCF is authentic and is my version of a "gamer" load.  If I can get this Lightning up to snuff, then I have the best of both worlds - authenticity and mild ammo.

As far as a 20 gauge - NOPE!  ;D  There's just some things you don't compromise on............. ;D

Dusty,

Many thanks for the kind words.  I wish I could restore as many original firearms as you've done, but we all do what we can.  Between us all, hopefully we'll preserve a good sampling of all of these grand old guns for our posterity.  I know I told my son a couple of days ago that I'd haunt him forever if he ever let these old guns get out of the family.  He seems to be properly inspired to keep them......we'll see!  ;)

I know when I was young I turned up my nose at lever guns and the old stuff.  Now, I have no interest in bolt rifles and the modern "black" guns.  Lever and pump guns with non-telescopic sights at long range with black powder "trip my trigger".  Much more challenging and fun to work with - and much more potential than folks appreciate.  

Long may they live.

P.S. - I'd love to get the opportunity to meet you and send a few rounds downrange together some day.  We live too near each other to only "talk" on the internet.

Learned Brother at Armes

Offline dusty texian

• Chief Scout Wehmeyer Ranch's.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dusty Texian
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 107
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 06:15:49 AM »
BB it would be my pleasure to meet you Sir!  I am sure we can make that happen.,,,,DT

Offline Tascosa Joe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 2770
  • NCOWS #: L-168
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 09:59:06 AM »
Nice job on the rifle.
NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS  Life

Offline Blackpowder Burn

• Top Active Citizen
  • Smoke & Lightning
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2016, 07:45:35 PM »
To paraphrase a line from a campy old movie............"She lives!!!"

I finally got the old girl back with a new barrel liner and even found a dust cover for it.  I took her out to the range today and fed her some good 'ol black powder 32 WCF ammo and she woke up and started barking.  I can't help but wonder how long it's been since she last spoke.  Hopefully she has a lot of speaking to catch up on............  ;D
Learned Brother at Armes

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2016, 11:57:55 AM »
Oh ... so ..... VERRY ..... KOOL!!

Coffinmaker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com