Author Topic: U.S. Army M-1881 Holster for Colt SAA  (Read 2802 times)

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
U.S. Army M-1881 Holster for Colt SAA
« on: September 01, 2015, 08:15:24 PM »
I have a new Uberti 7 1/2" Cattleman SAA on the way and I'm thinking I might like to make a 1881 model holster for it.

I have laid out and made half-flaps for '51 Navies, etc. and of course have "Pscking Iron" which shows good examples.  I also know that they came with 5 different belt loop sizes depending on what belt they are going on - i.e. enlisted leather, Mills, etc.

That said .  . .. I'm just wondering if anyone makes a full size pattern for these with the various pattern for the different size belt loops?  Yes . . I know . . . I can buy one from David C. etc. but I want to make one - I have the U.S. stamp, etc. already as well as the leather, tools and skill - just wondering if there is a pattern out there?

Basically, I'm looking for a short cut - even if it was just a pattern for the bucket.  All of my googling has turned up nothing but original or reproduction holsters - no patterns.  Are there any out there?  If not, maybe another "package" fro Will G. to consider?   :)

Thanks!

Jim

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: U.S. Army M-1881 Holster for Colt SAA
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2015, 11:31:50 PM »
Jim, Jim Simmons aka Brazzos Jack aka Peco's Slim has a pattern posted on Leatherworker.net for a set of 1881 Pommel holsters. The same basic 1881 holster pattern but connected to hang over a pommel. Would not be hard to convert the pattern for belt holster. http://leatherworker.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=33659   If you contact Jim Simmons he may even have an actual pattern for 1881 belt holster. He is pretty good a bout sharing his patterns. I will see if I can find his email address.

Offline bedbugbilly

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 07:22:03 AM »
Camano - Thanks very much!  That will do the trick!  As soon s my Uberti arrives so I have it in hand, it will allow me to lay out a pattern - my biggest concern was to get the symmetry of the bucket and flap close to original so it looked right.  On the half flaps that I made for '51 Navies, it was fairly easy as I had several Slim Jims that I had made and I could play with flap patterns until it looked right.  I just don't want to cut in to a nice piece of leather only to go "Oh Oh" once I get it done.   :o

Many thanks again - your help is greatly appreciated!  My best to you and yours!

Jim

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:23:47 PM »

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 08:16:50 AM »
Just a suggestion if you don't already do it. I buy poster board from Wal Mart (pretty cheap) lay my pattern out cut the pieces and staple them together as if I were stitching the leather (staple along approx stitch line. I then gently insert the gun and make sure that everything fits and it has the look I want. I then carefully remove the staples and I have my pattern layout the pieces cut the leather and go to work.
Making the mock holster takes a little extra time but saves on wasted leather.

1st Sgt.

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2015, 11:32:26 AM »
     Three books you might want to check out on 1870/1880's military Equipment. are as follows.

1, Ordnance Memoranda No.29 "Horse Equipments and Cavalry Accoutrements"

2. Ordnance Memoranda No.18  "Cavalry Equipment"

3. "U.S. Single Action Cartridge Handgun Holsters 1870-1910" by William G. Phillips & John P. Vervloet

I have seen the Ordnance Memoranda No.29 and  Ordnance Memoranda No.18 online but you'll have to search it out.

Hope this Helps in your quest.  ;)

V/R

1st Sgt.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com