Author Topic: MVA tang sight  (Read 5050 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
MVA tang sight
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:13:54 PM »
After Gabriel Law mentioned how happy he is with his MVA tang sight, I hauled mine out of the hoard and remembered why I never mounted it on my Business Rifle in place of the C. Sharps sight.

The large knurled screw that holds the sight staff to the sight base is on the right, whereas it's on the left of the C. Sharps sight.
Firing the rifle with the knurled knob on the right would mean a painful rap on the thumb the way I hold the rifle. I have a small hand and wrapping my thumb around the wrist of the stock with a tang sight is all but impossible for me as it is.

Is it an issue for anyone using an MVA tang sight?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: MVA tang sight
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 03:36:16 PM »
PJ,

When I use a tang sight of any type, I prefer to lay my thumb alongside my trigger finger on the right side. Using the other three fingers to grip the wrist of the stock from underneath.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 05:00:11 PM »
Is it an issue for anyone using an MVA tang sight?

Nope, I put my thumb up over the top the wrist and grip the gun, the only way that knob is going to get into your hand is if you limb wrist the thing, and don't have it pulled into your shoulder, so that the gun slides thru your hand when it recoils.
 That knobbed screw is a handy feature for those of us that are prone to run both scope and irons. It's a bunch easier to get the tang sight off with the knob than it is with the fillister head screw.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:37:26 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:47:19 PM »
My Business Rifle has a straight grip stock. Using the x-stix and pulling the rifle into my shoulder from the forestock or supporting the butt against my shoulder, I lose my grip on the gun every time. I normally align my thumb along the wrist of the stock as mentioned by Blair.
Shooting from the bench, this doesn't happen, but shooting a BPCR from the bench just doesn't cut it.

62 grs of FFg under a 525 gr bullet generates a little recoil, more than the 65 grs FFg and 450 gr bullets I use in my 50-70's.
With my straight wrist 50-70 '74 SRC, I get a proper wrap around grip, thumb over top of the wrist as per any other rifle.

I think I'll try mounting the MVA sight after this year's shooting season. I like the fully exposed graduations on the sight staff compared to the 'window' of the C. Sharps sight.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 06:57:30 PM »
I don't have any problem loosing the grip on my straight stocked rifles.
For shooting from a bench you need either a set of benchrest crossticks, or bags and a stand that will get you into a straight up position much like when shooting from sitting cross sticks.

Offline Freedom

• Top Active Citizen
    • 7X Leather
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 09:49:22 AM »
That knurled screw is actually an expensive upgrade/extra...you can get a flush fitting screw from them if you call them. ;)
www.7xleather.com ...Cowboy and Muzzle loading Gear

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 12:02:27 PM »
I do have a set of bench x-sticks. Don't care for them. Only use them when there is 2'-3' of snow on the ground.

Checking Seller's book, I note that the straight stocked rifles pictured almost invariably have a flush fitting screw. It's the rifles with a pistol grip that utilize the large knurled knob. Somebody back then thought it was a problem as well.

Check pages 212 to 239, and 241 to 253 for examples of both.

I'll contact MVA for a flush mounting screw as I really like that sight.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 01:48:48 PM »
Just got off the phone from talking to a very pleasant lady at MVA in Montana. They now offer a flush mounted pivot screw due to the demand. My large knurled knob is an option as stated by Freedom.

She mentioned that she removes her sight staff every time she transports her rifle. I don't think I could be bothered.

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 03:34:54 PM »
Dixie offers pistol grip for the Trapdoor.  I put one on my wife's straight stocked Sharps.  If I remember correctly the stock screw was long enough.  She had a hard time pulling the stock into her shoulder and the trigger guard would hit her middle finger every shot.  She didn't say anything during a match but I noticed the finger was swollen & bruised.  Tough little lady.  I wish she was still with me. :'(

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:31 PM »
Will, I did buy one from some source. It wasn't compatible and I gave it to a Trapdoor shooter. Bought a metal version and it fit my Cavalry Carbine just fine.

Shiloh sells a lovely ebony model with an elegant sweep to it. But they want the rifle shipped to them for fitting. Thats a dealer export/import fee on top of the cost.

So, I bought a faux ebony model, but it was incorrectly installed by a 'smith and came off within the first few shots. Since I know I will be shooting this rifle more often now that I've had eye surgery, I will have it re-installed - correctly this time.

Finding someone to do the job competently will be the real challenge.

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 05:51:01 AM »
We learned years ago for the best accuracy in benchrest shooting, don't put your thumb over the stock. Rest it on the side. I'm sure it holds true for BPCR rifles.
Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2015, 11:09:19 AM »
Now that I've graduated to shooting from prone with x-stix, I no longer have the problem of the rifle jumping out of my grip that I did when shooting sitting. Pushing the toe of the butt into my shoulder makes it much more manageable.

Offline Gabriel Law

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 08:44:23 PM »
PJ:  I removed the optional knurled staff screw from my Sharps MVA sight, and returned the slotted head screw, but not because I had trouble like you described...I did not.   But I found my staff to be too loose for my liking, and I was unable to tighten the knurled knob tight enough to satisfy me.  The slotted screw works better.  I wrap my big mitt around the wrist when I shoot, and the tang sight does not interfere in any way.  The same goes for the MVA mid range sight on my Uberti Winchester 1876.

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 09:26:40 PM »
You have to be careful tightening that screw that holds the sight to the base, can put a lot of stress on the staff were it attaches to the drum and will eventually get a lot of slop in it, and then you'll have vertical problems like a fiend on the target. Best to have the sight a bit loose in the mount, the spring will hold it in the correct spot.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com