Author Topic: My work bench  (Read 2931 times)

Offline Hooknladder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
My work bench
« on: August 27, 2015, 07:18:42 PM »
Hello everybody, new to the forum and thought I would introduce myself by showing you the pride of my shop, the work bench. Not sure of the exact age, but from the research I have done, the maker, Chester Hurd of Warsaw New York died in 1866 at the age of 77, so I am guessing it is from the early 1800's. Mr. Hurd was a master carpenter who built several churches in Warsaw NY in the early 1800's so this is a pretty cool piece of history. Not sure what the original use was, but, it is 8' long with a huge drawer that spans the whole 8' and rides on heavy cast iron rollers.

Offline Hooknladder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: My work bench
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 07:20:13 PM »
more pics

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 11:52:00 PM »
Wow, that's beautiful bench. Such character is hard to find. Thanks for the pics. Welcome to the forum. Looking forward to seeing what you make on it.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:06:27 PM »

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 421
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 02:47:09 AM »
That is So cool ...what great find  I envy you .... even a great model for someone to build a project replica.
I dare say the casters are not original to it , added later to make it mobile ( and clearly why ) it must weigh 400#

The maker's plaque is over the top....   :D

where was it found ?

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Hooknladder

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:51 AM »
Yes, the casters are not original they were put on there by a previous owner and honestly I would say it is closer to 1000# than 400. I found it on craigslist in Freeport IL, and during my research of the maker I found out that he had descendants that moved to Freeport in the late 1800's so I am assuming it traveled with them. Being a fireman my main business is fire service leather products, but I am just starting holsters and my uncle asked me to make him a western rig for his Blackhawk and that brought me to your site. I have actually just purchased a Cimarron Artillery model for myself, and plan on making more western rigs in the future. I think they are some of the most beautiful pieces of leatherwork out there. I look forward to learning from everybody here, and thanks for welcoming me.

Offline Camano Ridge

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 09:59:30 AM »
Very nice find. Impressive piece of work.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
What a great work bench!
SASS #81,827

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2015, 06:52:38 PM »
Great bench, it also looks to be very strong a well put together, just what you need to stand up to a little ponding, thanks for the share..

tEN wOLVES ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com