Author Topic: Pocket pistol holster  (Read 4684 times)

jiminy criquet

Pocket pistol holster
« on: November 09, 2005, 04:50:58 AM »
Just curious...what do some of you use/recommend as a pocket pistol holster design?  I've got an 1848 Baby Dragoon (see here) that is in need of a new holster.

I kind of like this design as a back of the gunbelt rig ...as it's nice and simple ...and 'period correct' ...but I'm looking for suggestions (and photos) :)

Thanks

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Pocket pistol holster
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2005, 10:21:13 AM »
I like the one you posted the link to. The other idea that would be great would be to put one inside your boot. I don't have any pic, though.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2005, 01:08:26 PM »
The pocket pistol is just that - a pistol meant for the pocket.

The originals I've owned were variations on a theme - a holster body on a flat piece of leather - cut for a hip pocket.
Most dated to the turn of the century.

The one pictured looks 'modern' to me - but that's probably because the older ones were made of pretty thin leather - whereas this seems both 'thicker' and 'fitted'.

I've seen a couple that were designed to be carried inside the trousers - hung from a button.

I've also seen a leather-lined trouser pocket that worked well - the 'stiff' part on the outside - so as not to betray the fact that a man was carrying.

None were 'fast' - but all did the job of keeping the weapon concealed from the casual glance.

Take a look at 'Packing Iron - Gunleather of the Frontier West" - by Rattenbury.

There may be something illustrated that you can use.

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:07:29 PM »

Offline Camille Eonich

• Top Active Citizen
    • Stump Water and Camille Eonich's Website
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2005, 01:44:39 PM »
I know that this doesn't answer the question but if you wear a sash they tuck very nicely in behind one and it's very concealed.  :D

Also remember that by SASS rules, if you shoot SASS, any gun that goes to the firing line must be cleared at the unloading table whether it was ever loaded or not.  So you would want something that was easy to holster and unholster.
“Extremism is so easy. You've got your position, and that's it. It doesn't take much thought. And when you go far enough to the right you meet the same idiots coming around from the left.”
― Clint Eastwood

Offline Doc Neeley

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2005, 04:55:24 PM »
In packing Iron they show a original "hip pocket" holster for pocket pistols like the S&W lemon squeezer. Looks like a wallet with a holster.

I'm making a small holster for my lemon squeezer (first holster after many sheaths and moccasins, etc.) It will go on a belt.
All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream. -- T.K. Whipple

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2005, 09:56:02 PM »
If you can get your hands on the PACKING IRON book be sure and check out the two gun rig, pg 83, with the short barled '49s.  That set has caught many an eye  and I would be surprised if the Mexican gentleman who wore them wasnt a pistolero.  These things look like they were made to be competition ready for a SASS match but are actually dated to somewhere between 1860 and 1865 with use along the Barbary coast!

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2005, 11:21:09 PM »
I dug out my copy of Packing Iron and checked out that rig, Bob. That's quite a pair of holsters. I find the silver end caps most interestng, along with the floral design on the leather. They must have cost him a few coins in those days.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

jiminy criquet

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2005, 06:38:58 AM »
Thanks, I appreciate all the input.  I ended up going with a variation of the design in my first post, except in buffalo hide (I love the stuff!), suede side out.  Two 2 1/2" belt slots in the top of the back skirt as in the original, exact same basic design layout except held together with leather lacing in more of an 'Indian' style.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com