Author Topic: Traditions Pietta Frontier Model  (Read 4847 times)

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
Traditions Pietta Frontier Model
« on: August 26, 2015, 01:59:09 PM »
I posted this in the colt clone forum but only got one response, so I am re-posting the same question here.  I also have a new question.  Has Pietta 1873 changed the firing mechanism for all their SAA, to the transfer bar?  This seems to have occured just this year from what I have been searching.

Looking for comments from people that own or have handled this transfer bar model.  How is the quality of this Pietta model compared to the traditional firing pin Pietta models?  Have you had any issues?

I am interested in having a SAA to fire the 44 caliber series.  I see that Cheaper than dirt has a 44Mag version of this revolver.  I have missed out on the Cabela's $350 sale, for their version of a Pietta 44mag, for the second time.

So, it is this or buying Uberti and lose the mag case option (do not like the looks of the Callahan).  I do like the Uberti quality.

Anyone know of any other options out there in this market (no Rugers)?
Black River Smith

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Traditions Pietta Frontier Model
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
Cimarron and EMF Piettas do not have a transfer bar.

Personally, I don't like transfer bars on an SAA.  Might as well buy a Ruger that isn't an SAA anyway.  That's just me.

44 Spcl can be loaded pretty hot and still be within SAAMI specs.  Don't know why anyone would need .44 Mag in an SAA.

Offline Black River Smith

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 08:10:50 PM »
Abilene,

You saw my posts from awhile back where I wanted the option to fire the full 44 series in one handgun.  You see, my second CAS rifle was a Marlin 44MAG and I still have it and brass.  The Mag is not for full-house loads, just the ability to utilize all that brass.  I could use the same load (8gr Unique and Lee 200 or 214gr bullet)in both guns.  The same 'caliber issue' as in the olden days.

I agree with your 44SPCL loading comment, it is such a good casing.  But I have never had a firearm that fired 44SPCL, so I want to now experience it.

It has now become the time to make a final decision as to what route to take.  Since I could not get the lower priced Cabelas Pietta 44(again) this Tradtions is the only equivalent alternative.  The other option is a Uberti Cattleman 4 3/4" in 44/40 (they are available from dealer around here, 44SPCL are not) and then add the 44SPCL cylinder but lose the 44Mag brass usage capability.

That is the real reason for this questioning.  If someone stated the Pietta transfer bar has issues(unreliable, rough, sticks, bad timing) then its out.  I go the Uberti route and forget the 44MAG.
Black River Smith

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:25:07 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com