Author Topic: First year anniversary  (Read 6445 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
First year anniversary
« on: August 21, 2015, 11:53:50 AM »
 One year ago today we left California after 40+ years (37 1/2 in our first house ever) and moved into a completely unsuitable rental unit between the Prescott airport and Antelope Hills Country Club.

After almost two months we moved into a house the 15 of October that we bought in Prescott Valley (formerly known as Jackass Flats) and here we'll probably stay.  Got 690 square feet more house, a huge workshop structure in back, and a half acre of land, and all for about 2/3 of what we sold our house in California for.

So far we've had visitors from California, Nevada, and Utah come for visits and are expecting a lot more.  May have convinced some to move this way and join us in this marvelous place.

Love it here , ain't NEVER going back to live in California.

Tom and Shawna
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: First year anniversary
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 02:09:59 PM »
Congrats Tom... roots are a tough thing to shear, but I can relate...  kinda

Miami was both Birth place & home for the first 38 years of my adolescent, then formative and finally adult life.
planning the move was actually tougher than the actual.... got up and went ...
now it seems just  a relevant memory....

I've set roots here in Central Florida , lived here the past 30 years ...look in wonderment at North Carolina and awe of the old west
In particular Arizona ( Arizona Highways  & a travel or two )
Kinda figure the tap root is embedded at this point to deep to make wanderlust a reality.
I've lived elsewhere and other States  for 4-6 months , location shoots, film jobs and such, but returned to my "sand in shoes region" Central Florida....

Bucket list has Alaska on it... but that only be an experience  :)
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 02:52:10 PM »
I was born in Tucson, Arizona. into a USAF family.
Just about every two years of my life we made a major move. Some times close and some times far. It was just a fact of life for us.
At the age of 20 I joined the US Navy and that meant even more travel. I have been in every State in the US, Including Alaska and Hawaii (even before it became a State). Along with 18 Foreign Countries and several other US Territories. 
I got to go places, see things and meet people that I would never have had a chance to do otherwise.
I have no regrets!
However, I am very much a "homebody" now, and don't regret that one bit either.
My best,
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:58:32 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015, 12:13:14 PM »
Congrats Tom... roots are a tough thing to shear, but I can relate...  kinda

Miami was both Birth place & home for the first 38 years of my adolescent, then formative and finally adult life.
planning the move was actually tougher than the actual.... got up and went ...
now it seems just  a relevant memory....

I've set roots here in Central Florida , lived here the past 30 years ...look in wonderment at North Carolina and awe of the old west
In particular Arizona ( Arizona Highways  & a travel or two )
Kinda figure the tap root is embedded at this point to deep to make wanderlust a reality.
I've lived elsewhere and other States  for 4-6 months , location shoots, film jobs and such, but returned to my "sand in shoes region" Central Florida....

Bucket list has Alaska on it... but that only be an experience  :)

I  was 72 years old and had been in California for 40 years, 37 in the same house.

The decision was very easy.  I didn't so much leave California as California abandoned me and all my beliefs and then tried to take my money and freedoms and make me feel guilty about it.

California is the second deadly "Big C"
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015, 04:51:07 PM »
I understand , Tom glad it was smooth  :)

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2015, 04:58:19 PM »
I  was 72 years old and had been in California for 40 years, 37 in the same house.

The decision was very easy.  I didn't so much leave California as California abandoned me and all my beliefs and then tried to take my money and freedoms and make me feel guilty about it.

California is the second deadly "Big C"

When my  time was up in the Navy in '68, . . . I thought about San Diego, . . . Tucson, . . . etc.  Kinda did not want to come back to Ohio, . . . winters and all, . . .

Had to come back and get my Olds convertible, . . . wound up staying a while, . . . got married, . . . been here ever since.  Kinda regretted it a few times, . . . but from what I've been able to read and understand, . . . it seems like the Lord did me good in shooing me back home. 

Still like to visit the southwest, . . . love the food, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2015, 06:52:01 PM »
I'm been looking at houses around Tombstone.  We spend a long weekend visiting and I love the area. 

We could sell out, move from northern Indiana, buy same type of house for 50% less.  And no second story gutters to clean out, no yard to maintain, no leaves to rake and NO SNOW.

Wife cried when I told her my idea.  She has her dream house, friends and family here.  I bought a new snow shovel instead. 
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 12:23:18 AM »
Do not count on the "no snow in Tombstone"
I only shoot to support my reloading habit.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 08:52:01 AM »
Got no plans to go to Tombstone so it doesn't matter.  Besides, we got snow (and sleet, rain hail, and smog) here.. Not much and not often, but we got 'em.

When are you gonna drag your tall, lazy buns down here for a visit?  Huh?  When?

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2015, 01:26:20 AM »
was down that way six months ago when you had all of the rain, may try for next summer right now getting ready for snow and hibernation.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2015, 11:32:50 AM »
You were down here and didn't stop by?

Wait'll I get a step ladder so's I can climb up high enough to kick your sorry butt.

Offline Old Top

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2015, 11:34:54 PM »
down to Phoniex  to see new grandchild

Offline Matthew Duncan

• Cutter’s Raiders# 13
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 23189
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 11
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 06:16:54 PM »
Do not count on the "no snow in Tombstone"

We took a Jeep tour of the surrounding Tombstone countryside.  Driver mentioned snow.

Oh?  Home much do you get, I asked.

Quite a bit.  Sometimes it lasts all they way to the afternoon.

I'd call that a frost!
Major General J.E.B. Stuart's Division
Captain 1st Maryland Artillery, C.S.A.
SASS# 23189

Disclaimer:  I have not slept in any hotel recently, not a certified CAS rule web lawyer.  Have not attended any RO III or RO VI classes.  Opinions expressed are by a cowpoke who believes the year is 1868.

Offline Rye Miles

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 07:26:15 PM »
When my  time was up in the Navy in '68, . . . I thought about San Diego, . . . Tucson, . . . etc.  Kinda did not want to come back to Ohio, . . . winters and all, . . .

Had to come back and get my Olds convertible, . . . wound up staying a while, . . . got married, . . . been here ever since.  Kinda regretted it a few times, . . . but from what I've been able to read and understand, . . . it seems like the Lord did me good in shooing me back home. 

Still like to visit the southwest, . . . love the food, . . .

May God bless,
Dwight

I hear ya about the winters here in Ohio, but all in all it's not a bad place to live, affordable and very gun friendly. I'm in Northeast Ohio by the big ol' lake up here. I thought about moving to Az. many times but $$$ and family kept me here.

Rye 8)
Northeast Ohio

God created man, Sam Colt made them equal

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2015, 06:32:49 AM »
I am 63 now, never lived in one state 20 years or more. Virginia the longest at 17 years. Lived i. The NW for a spell, where i scratched off a big bucketlist item.  I lived and a young boy in Indiana and Ohio. I have no desire to return to any of them. If you include Va., (i do) i have lived better than half my life somewhere in the south. I moved to Alabama, better than a year and a half now. I will be buried here.
Mathew 5.9

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: December 25, 2015, 09:48:22 AM »
Not counting my Army time, in Germany, I've lived in Missouri my whole life, , in Miller and Camden counties. Had family in the area since the 1840s. Lots of other places I'd like to visit, but no desire to move. If I moved north-too cold, south it gets too hot in the summer. East- there's just too many people in the east, and it gets pretty dry if I went west.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com