Author Topic: Lyman 1858  (Read 9699 times)

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Lyman 1858
« on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:07 AM »
Howdy!
   I have a Lyman 1858 Remington that I purchased new in the mid '70's. I believe it to be an Uberti made gun, but no name. I have six others, four Ubeti's and two Pietta's. I have interchanged Uberti cylinders and base pins with no problems, and the fit seems good. My newer '58's have much lighter springs. Bought two Taylor's  5 1/2" guns this year that work great with light springs. My Lyman has a really heavy pull that I would like to bring in closer to the newer guns. I have looked at Woff and VTI but can not identify which would be best for my purpose. I am thinking reduced main spring and wire trigger spring. I can not find any specific name or info. I would appreciate any help.
                                                                             Molasses Mike
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: Lyman 1858
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:39:28 AM »
At least on the newer Ubertis the mainspring tension screw is functional. Back it out until it no longer touches the mainspring. It's that little screw on the lower 1/3 front of the grip frame. If that is no help then you may need to shave down the mainspring or simpler yet, just drop a Colt '51/'60 mainsrpring into it. That fixed a couple of stiff Remingtons for me. You may need to trim the tip of theColt spring if it is too long.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 10:13:22 AM »
At least on the newer Ubertis the mainspring tension screw is functional. Back it out until it no longer touches the mainspring. It's that little screw on the lower 1/3 front of the grip frame. If that is no help then you may need to shave down the mainspring or simpler yet, just drop a Colt '51/'60 mainsrpring into it. That fixed a couple of stiff Remingtons for me. You may need to trim the tip of theColt spring if it is too long.

Hellgate,
    Thanks for the comeback. I backed the main spring tension screw out decades ago with no change. The '51/'60 Colt main spring is the info I was looking for. Thanks again for the help!
                              Molasses Mike

P.S. I wonder if many have the Lyman 1858 Remington?
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:01:12 PM »

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 06:18:25 PM »
My Good Mike -
can you possibly post photos, or failing that the info on the marks & etc on the frame and barrel? that can help identify the who/which.
especially any marks under the left grip near the heel .

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 08:53:09 PM »
My Good Mike -
can you possibly post photos, or failing that the info on the marks & etc on the frame and barrel? that can help identify the who/which.
especially any marks under the left grip near the heel .

yhs
prof marvel

Prof marvel,
    On the top of the barrel is "Lyman-MIDDLEFIELD CONN". On the left side of the barrel is ".44 CAL. NEW MODEL ARMY". On the right side of the barrel is "FOR BLACK POWDER ONLY-MADE IN ITALY".
   On the bottom of the barrel, on the top inside of the trigger guard and under the left hand grip is the same thing, the number "535".
Other than proof marks that is all the writing on it.
                  Molasses Mike

V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2015, 12:09:03 AM »
Greetings My Good Mike -

Lyman imported Italian reproductions of the Remington 1858 New Army revolver; they were either by Armi San Paulo or Uberti depending on the year, one should be able to find a date code, proof mark,  and a maker mark

If the threads are covered at the breech it is probably an Euroarms/Armi San Paolo. if the threads are visible, then it's most likely an Uberti.

this example clearly shows the Uberti "U" in an octagon on the side of the barrel:
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9322528

If you find a  DGG  stamp anywhere ( often can be seen on the grip frame if you take off  the grip panel) == Armi San Paolo == Euroarms

this shows the date codes and makers marks. these and the proof marks are there unless someone filed it off.
http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2015, 02:31:48 AM »
Greetings My Good Mike -

Lyman imported Italian reproductions of the Remington 1858 New Army revolver; they were either by Armi San Paulo or Uberti depending on the year, one should be able to find a date code, proof mark,  and a maker mark

If the threads are covered at the breech it is probably an Euroarms/Armi San Paolo. if the threads are visible, then it's most likely an Uberti.

this example clearly shows the Uberti "U" in an octagon on the side of the barrel:
http://www.gunauction.com/buy/9322528

If you find a  DGG  stamp anywhere ( often can be seen on the grip frame if you take off  the grip panel) == Armi San Paolo == Euroarms

this shows the date codes and makers marks. these and the proof marks are there unless someone filed it off.
http://www.powderhombre.com/mbpproofmarks.pdf

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel

Prof marvel,
And the answer is..................Armi San Paolo,  1976!
With out your input I might never have known. What's the word on these? Opinions? Parts interchange,etc.
                               Thanks, Molasses Mike

V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2015, 09:57:20 AM »
I had/have several ASP Remingtons. They are like ASM Colts: it varies. I've had ASPs that shaved lead so bad that in two shots the gun was jammed with lead. I swapped out the cylinder on that one with a Uberti Remington cylinder and  problem solved. There was a bit more cylinder gap (~8 or 9 thou w/the Uberti cylinder but alignment was perfect). Others I have will shoot reliably all day whereas my Ubertis start gumming up after about 10-15 rounds. Go figure. The ASPs have the smallest/lightest frames & grips of all the Remmies. Piettas are on the other end for size. An ASP Remmie is to a Pietta Remmie like a Colt Navy is to a Colt Army in wieldability (is that a word?). I like the  ASPs because they are so nice & light with the smaller grips. Also, Remington grips vary with the manufacturer. You cannot just buy a set of Remmie grips and expect them to fit any other make. You might get lucky but I have not found any real uniformity other than they look alike til you try putting them on the frame. The ASP is more like the Beals model Remington with its (almost) covered barrel threads. I read somewhere that ASP copied a Beals. Who knows? S&S Firearms used to sell them and parts. I'm not sure where parts are available for them. Never toss out a hand with a broken hand spring. Replace the spring only with a bobby pin. Keep the already fitted hand. The ASM Remington Navies are sweet little guns too.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
I had/have several ASP Remingtons. They are like ASM Colts: it varies. I've had ASPs that shaved lead so bad that in two shots the gun was jammed with lead. I swapped out the cylinder on that one with a Uberti Remington cylinder and  problem solved. There was a bit more cylinder gap (~8 or 9 thou w/the Uberti cylinder but alignment was perfect). Others I have will shoot reliably all day whereas my Ubertis start gumming up after about 10-15 rounds. Go figure. The ASPs have the smallest/lightest frames & grips of all the Remmies. Piettas are on the other end for size. An ASP Remmie is to a Pietta Remmie like a Colt Navy is to a Colt Army in wieldability (is that a word?). I like the  ASPs because they are so nice & light with the smaller grips. Also, Remington grips vary with the manufacturer. You cannot just buy a set of Remmie grips and expect them to fit any other make. You might get lucky but I have not found any real uniformity other than they look alike til you try putting them on the frame. The ASP is more like the Beals model Remington with its (almost) covered barrel threads. I read somewhere that ASP copied a Beals. Who knows? S&S Firearms used to sell them and parts. I'm not sure where parts are available for them. Never toss out a hand with a broken hand spring. Replace the spring only with a bobby pin. Keep the already fitted hand. The ASM Remington Navies are sweet little guns too.

hellgate,
  Thanks for all the info. Had mine near forty years now,I think I'll take it all the way. I put a Heinie trigger/bolt spring in it and will put a lighter main spring in it. I have been using a R&D Uberti cylinder in it with success. I shoot my own light loads  in it so I do not see a problem with the lighter main spring. The bobby pin advice is a handy thing to know.
                                                Molasses Mike
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

Offline Molasses Mike

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 02:21:40 PM »
   I have now finished with my Lyman 1858 Remington. I put a Heinie wire trigger/ bolt spring and a Woff main spring in it, plus some smoothing. Both springs fit with no fitting needed. The main spring tension screw was a problem as I thought it would be. It was too short to do any good. I took a main spring tension screw from one of my Uberti's and it fit perfectly.
   I have taken it to the range and it works great. Fifty shots no problems. Very smooth action!
                                                 Molasses Mike
V.F.W. life
N.R.A.  life
S.A.S.S. life

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com