Author Topic: Spencer Bullet Mould From Cast Bullet Engineering  (Read 2834 times)

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Spencer Bullet Mould From Cast Bullet Engineering
« on: August 18, 2015, 02:10:58 AM »
Hello Lads,
anyone here using the 512-340 mould from Cast bullet Engineering?
It is a .512 bullet weighing in at 340 grains, two lube grooves and a full size nose of .512.

No forward band, so you would crimp across the nose.
I like the looks of it, looks like an original bullet, and looks like it would feed nicely and a lot of room to find the right crimp location for OAL. and $135.00 for a double cavity mould.

Chime in if you use one, as I am having no luck with the Lyman mouldll I tried the cut down Lee mould, but I think the seller was drunk when he cut it, as it went into the trash after the first time trying to cast bullets, but tha's another story.

Thanks,

Donald Bowman

Offline El Supremo

• kevintinny@hotmail.com
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
Re: Spencer Bullet Mould From Cast Bullet Engineering
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 05:14:18 AM »
Hello:
Thanks for the source information.

It might be ok in a carbine, but the grease grooves appear small and shallow.  Probably not for a rifle.
Try a PM to Herbert, who is down your way.

Regards,
Kevin Tinny/El Supremo
Pay attention to that soft voice in your head.

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 12:40:43 PM »
Hello WK:
 I am being very successful using the Buffalo Arms Molds for my 56-56. I am guessing you are in the 56-50 grouping of Spencers.
Therefore I suggest: http://www.buffaloarms.com/56_50_Spencer_Bullet_Molds_it-160285.aspx?CAT=4158 

.520" 375 Grain 1-Cavity RNFP Cast Bullet Mould for the 56-50 Spencer. This is a great cast bullet mould for 56-50 Spencer center fire conversions done on antique Spencers rifles and carbines. Groove dimensions vary in these firearms so check your groove diameter before ordering, we also have these in .515" diameter see item #Jim515375. Bullet has .775" over all length and .380" bearing surface length.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:54:15 AM »

Offline Wolf Killer

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 06:07:04 PM »
Hello Lads,
Thanks for the referrals on the BACO moulds, but both have a crimp groove, and this is the problem I am having with my Lyman mould To get reliable feeding on my Taylor s Spencer I had to crimp back from the groove which is unreliable as the bullets will collapse under recoil as I can't get a good crimp out of the groove.
This is why the CBT looked good, no crimp groove so you can crimp at whatever length into the nose.
Thanks,
DB

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 636
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 07:22:32 PM »
You might want to take a look at Accurate Molds. The mold discussed in the post below has a crimp groove, but these are custom,  so they could leave it out.  Better yet, Tom could put it where you want it.  This bullet works well in my Taylors Sencer.

http://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,53097.0.html

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com