Author Topic: Henry Rifles  (Read 26440 times)

Offline Firstorm Chris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Henry Rifles
« on: August 12, 2015, 10:03:17 AM »
I've got a Henry Big Boy in .45 Long Colt. I really like it and I think Henry makes all around terrific rifles. Anybody else a Henry fan?

Offline Thumb Buster

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
Re: Henry Rifles
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2015, 10:23:04 AM »
Mine is a Frontier .22 LR.  Something about an octagonal barrel that just appeals to me.  The action, looks, workmanship and the being made solely in the USA appeals to me.  I really enjoy the rifle. 
"Those who pound their guns into plowshears will plow for those who didn't"  --Thomas Jefferson

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 10:27:57 AM »
I can't speak to the rifle's qualities. I've heard mixed review on them, but if you like it, then good for you. I genuinely hope it gives you good service.

I personally don't like the Henry company's advertising practices of trying to sound like they've got some kind of connection to the historical Henry Repeating Arms Company. Granted, that's purely me and my opinion.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:37:04 PM »

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 10:44:22 AM »
two words.....

LOADING GATE

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:04:06 AM »
I started CAS with one in 45 Colt for a couple of seasons, and I had no issues with the function of the rifle.  It was very affordable, and the action was smoother to me than the Rossi '92's I handled. 

After a couple of years I decided to move toward being more authentic and shoot black powder, so I now use a Winchester '73 copy in 44-40.

I sold the Henry, but only to generate some cash, not out of dissatifaction.  I will make this comment though:  If you are a speed demon on the rifle, you may find a speed limit on the Henry.  And, to my knowledge there is no short-stroke kit available for them.  I'm NOT a fast shooter by any means....so it didn't limit me, and it met my wants and needs for starting out.
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2015, 11:26:40 AM »
I had an older one.  I traded it and got one of the new steel frame versions.  A lot lighter and I think even smoother than the 10 year old model.  No loading gate is not a problem for CAS use.   Even an extra round you can toss in through the ejection port (I know I did it).

Now as to the Henry Henry - OMG that is one nice rifle.  I never handled an Uberti version but the fit and finish of the Henry Original is fantastic.  I got to shoot it on two stages.  Expensive yes, but the quality just exudes from the rifle.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2015, 11:45:31 AM »
I have a Big Boy in 45 LC.

I had some feed issues with it when I got it.

I called HRA around 7PM EST one evening

Antonio (the owner) personally answered the phone.

No hassles... he told me to send it to him and he emailed me a prepaid UPS shipping label while I was still on the phone with him.

I got it back a week later and not only was the feeding issue solved (mis-machined lifter), but it appeared as though someone smoothed the entire action out.

The company is a rarity in this day and age. The quality is excellent and they stand 101% behind their products.

BTW, I shoot it exclusively with BP.

As for the lack of a loading gate... I have several Marlins and a Winchester lever guns. The loading gates are a PITA, especially after the first few rounds are stuffed in there and the mag spring starts to compress. I love the front loading method. If you fear dropping rounds down the tube, simply lay it down and slide them in while the rifle is horizontal.  If you need one quick round, popping it directly into the open chamber is the way to go on any lever gun.

Rick

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2015, 01:39:29 PM »
Rick,

They are a stand up company by all accounts and I suspect I'll own a few of them when the kids get big enough for 22s.

I really don't like having to mess with the extra tube for loading. The gate is a much cleaner design and that's why Winchester went with it in 1866.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 02:53:03 PM »
Rick,
I really don't like having to mess with the extra tube for loading. The gate is a much cleaner design and that's why Winchester went with it in 1866.

... and called it "The Improved Henry".

I have a Uberti Henry in 44-40. Love it, but it's not my first choice for a main match rifle. I was once advised on how to slick it up for CAS and I told the adviser that I liked archaic firearms. The idea of short stroke kits, drilling holes in the lifter, etc., is anathema to me.

It has been suggested to me more than once that perhaps I ought to be involved with NCOWS rather than SASS.

The Henry has a Canadian useage not known to many. When the 'Overlanders' came from back east to the Cariboo Gold Rush, they carried Henrys on their arduous trek through the Rockies.

One of the Royal Engineers Sappers used one when he became a miner following discharge in 1863. Others are known to have been the rifle of choice across the Prairies. However, Metis General Gabriel Dumont preferred the '66.
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Firstorm Chris

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015, 03:59:16 PM »
It has been suggested to me more than once that perhaps I ought to be involved with NCOWS rather than SASS.
How is NCOWS different from SASS? Im a member of SASS but not NCOWS but from what I know they are both cowboy reenactment/action shooting organizations. And why not be involved in both?

Offline The Pathfinder

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 7
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015, 04:53:59 PM »
Chris, NCOWS is more about authenticity, SASS is becoming more race gun competition. To give you an idea, I'm a three digit SASS member and a two digit NCOWS, I've been around the block a time or two. I've always enjoyed 'doing it the way it was done', so tend to go with original or close replicas of whenever possible and love the smell of black powder. Hate cleaning up afterwards, but hey, who doesn't. You take the good with the bad. Find whichever works for you, and you can shoot authentic in SASS if you can't find a local NCOWS club...it's so much fun watching folks when they realize you're using old guns and black powder. ;D

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015, 05:51:39 PM »
I am a military re-enactor (circa 1858-63) and have the guns and gear to do a good impression, right down to the high quality repro medals won by my persona. My SASS number is 4 digit and my WCFSS (Western Canadian Frontier Shootist Society, now defunct) number is 22.

When I came in, it was one pistol, the .44/.45 was King and if you shot a .38/.357 you were thought to be a little light in your Lamas. You took pride in shooting 7.5/8.5 grs of Unique in your .45 under 250 gr bullets.

The Rule Book was small enough to be carried in a shirt or vest pocket. Questions of equipment eligibility were settled by the phrase - "If John Wayne would use it - it's OK."

Gradually the game devolved to "IPSC in Cowboy boots'' and I took a hike for several years. I only came back because my new wife wanted to shoot CAS. When I did, I shot either 'Frontiersman' or BP cartridge.

I just brought a friend into CAS and he is appalled to watch the race gunners shoot bullets you can follow to the target with the naked eye. He is shooting 44-40 in rifle and pistols, soon with BP.

When the 'Ting' of the bullet hitting steel is louder than the report of the rifle, something is lost.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015, 02:25:58 PM »
When the 'Ting' of the bullet hitting steel is louder than the report of the rifle, something is lost.

Amen Brother, I hate this part of SASS.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2015, 02:48:00 PM »
There's that and there is the another aspect I grew to find I disliked....

I shoot for enjoyment, to relax and unwind ..... I found the speed gamer stress had become less than enjoyably....

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2015, 09:57:15 PM »
We're all on the same page re: pop-gun loads, but - in fairness, there are enough categories offered in SASS that everyone can do his own thing.

It's a nightmare for the match organizers to accommodate all the different categories, but that's the way bullet flew .....

Life was simpler in the old days. Gawd, I sound like, uh, like uh ..... I'm revealing my age! Being a Silver Senior and all. It's a privilege to do so as so many others dropped off the trail along the way.

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2016, 01:33:41 PM »

Agreed.  I think people with health issues requiring low recoil should be applauded for staying in by shooting light loads but young lads like myself with no such issues should shoot full cases of nasty stuff.  I cram as much 2 and 3F as I can in and I love the boom and smoke.  I would dearly miss something if it were not there. 
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2016, 01:35:16 PM »
There's that and there is the another aspect I grew to find I disliked....

I shoot for enjoyment, to relax and unwind ..... I found the speed gamer stress had become less than enjoyably....

I slow down when everyone needs me to speed up, not to piss them off just to remind myself why I am there.  Cheers.
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2016, 03:52:18 PM »
I slow down when everyone needs me to speed up, not to piss them off just to remind myself why I am there.  Cheers.

Then you and I might just get along  :)

I won't be herded , nor wronged more than one try
its mind over matter.... those that matter, don't mind.... and those that mind   ::)  don't matter.

Having joined early 90's , SASS was my kinda interest 20+ ago  they lost my interest , when race guns & mouse fart ballistics became the standard of the game.
 I haven't  been a member in about 15 years...

Just a point of view .... the late Lou Imperato  resurrected the Henry name as it was in the public domain...

Henry Rifles were made by "New Haven Repeating Arms Co".  and Superintendent Tyler B Henry
which became "Winchester Repeating Arms."
A Henry was a type (repeater) ...not the Company ....and the name Henry was up for grabs...
Could have just as easily "Iver Johnson Arms" , Henry Rifle

Mr Imperato  purchased Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle works ( prior to Henry Repeating Arms ) where he produced the Colt Black Powder Series.
He sold the name and in 2006 Iver Johnson Arms opened in Rockledge, Florida and is selling shotguns and M1911 pistols.

One is entitled to their opinion....

Anthony Imperato (Lou's son ) is the CEO of HRA now....call them,  chances are he'll answer , if not ask for him
I think once you have spoken to him, your opinion lets say impression of the person will be enlightening.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2016, 09:58:33 AM »
Yeesh, I had forgotten about this thread. I sounded like a huge jerk when I posted on this, sorry Firestorm. Hope that Henry is treating you okay.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2016, 01:58:31 PM »
Then you and I might just get along  :)

I won't herded , nor wronged more one try
its mind over matter.... those that matter, don't mind.... and those that mind   ::)  don't matter.

Having joined early 90's , SASS was my kinda interest 20+ ago  they lost my interest , when race guns & mouse fart ballistics became the standard of the game.
 I haven't  been a member in about 15 years...

Well I will remember you next I draw my long barreled 1860 converts in .44 Colt with close to 30 grains each and scream "Die steel target bastards, die!"
- Cole Younger

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com