Author Topic: More USFA Leftovers from Turnbull?  (Read 3918 times)

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
More USFA Leftovers from Turnbull?
« on: August 08, 2015, 10:58:04 PM »
Greetings All,
Just ran across this 1911 from Turnbull that is up for sale on GunBroker.com.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500149724

It appears to have been built on an original style frame.  Ejection port is also original style.  I wonder if these frames and slides came from USFA as did the parts for Turnbull's previously offered SAA's?
CJF
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline Buckaroo Lou

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 93
Re: More USFA Leftovers from Turnbull?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 12:01:52 AM »
What a nice looking 1911. Love that case colored frame.
A man's true measure is found not in what he says but in what he does.

Offline GaryG

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2015, 12:38:50 PM »
We never sold DT any frames.  We had some slides left over that were already rolled with USFA etc.  He may have gotten some

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:29:02 AM »

Offline Mean Bob Mean

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2015, 02:21:51 PM »
Greetings All,
Just ran across this 1911 from Turnbull that is up for sale on GunBroker.com.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500149724

It appears to have been built on an original style frame.  Ejection port is also original style.  I wonder if these frames and slides came from USFA as did the parts for Turnbull's previously offered SAA's?
CJF

Turnbull builds their own 1911 now, I don't know what their parts source is but it is a standard item they build/carry.  They did not start offering it until long after USFA went under so I doubt that is their source.  Anyone?
"We tried a desperate game and lost. But we are rough men used to rough ways, and we will abide by the consequences."
- Cole Younger

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2015, 11:59:20 PM »
From sights to the small parts...100% Caspian parts build.
"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

Offline Capt. John Fitzgerald

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 34
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Thanks, Yahoody!.  I defer to your expertise when it comes to 1911's.  I was unaware that Caspian, or anyone else for that matter, was making original style 1911 frames on  regular basis.  Any ideas as to where USFA's frames came from?  Did they make their own or outsource parts?
You can't change the wind, but you can always change your sails.

Offline yahoody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 29
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2015, 07:50:08 PM »
Every 1911 I have seen from USFA (early on @ the SHOT show and on GB more recently) was a Caspian frame and slide.

I suspect Caspian would make anything you ask for if you are willing to write the check.  I (have) had custom designed 1911 parts made in small batches many times (not small checks).  Frames and slides are easy and cheap by comparison from Caspain, as are sights, hammers, triggers, thumb and grip safeties from others.  There is a in depth, although small in number, cottage industry of machine shops that do such work for the Industry on both coasts.

Quick look at Caspian's web site shows a 1911 frame...without the 1911A1 trigger guard cuts as a normal catalog item.  Been there for years now.  And what the Turnbull/USFA guns were built on.  No hiding that fact no matter what name is on the frame.  With the right FFL license Caspian will put what ever it says on the frame.  As an example I have a forged frame that I like to build on that has 4 DIFFERENT manufactures name on them...all made in the same place, by the same hands.    In this case I'd buy a new production 1911 Colt or even an original Colt from BITD instead.  It is a much better value IMO.

I saw a WWI Colt reproduction for under $1500 at the last WAC show.  That is a decent price I think for a LOT more gun than the Turnbull on GB.

Caspain 1911 frame web page:
https://www.caspianarms.com/receiver/classic-receiver-carbon

original 1911 on GB now:
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500028569

Below is a  recent build I did along those lines.  Doesn't look like much really past the engraving by J. Adams Sr.  Checkered ivory by Gunner Products.  Colt 1911A1, aka modern frame cuts, older, small 1911 sights,  slide release, grip safety and thumb safety.  Only parts not OEM Colt are my ignition system and a friends old style hammer profile.  (which is made by my hammer/internals maker from the same steel and specs I specify).

Doesn't look like much but in fact 1911s of any date don't get much better.  It has always been the detailing that made any 1911 stand apart from the next. (or SAA for that matter)  This gun was put together from pieces each specifically hand picked and over size to hand fit.  Then shot to make sure it was as good as hoped.  Just as they did the early 1920's NM guns @ Colt.  All that long before ivory or engraving.

"time leaves tombstones or dry bones"  SASS #2903

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com