Author Topic: WINDOWS 10  (Read 4838 times)

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
WINDOWS 10
« on: August 05, 2015, 06:56:05 PM »
Greetings My Dear Netizens-

Now that the so-called free Win10 is out (remember kids , TANSTAAFL ), reports are trickling in regarding The Downside

win10 downsides:
1) Stability – Windows 10 has launched with a surprisingly large number of bugs. Among these are disappearing icons from the taskbar, Start Menu lock-ups, Windows Store download bugs, copy and paste errors,  problems with audio and more.

2) Mandatory Updates – Microsoft’s decision to force updates upon users also has significant downsides. This has included automatically installing a broken graphics driver which crashed displays, a security patch which crashed Windows Explorer and more.

3) Brutal Enforcement Policies - Microsoft requires users to accept these terms in its Windows 10 EULA (end user license agreement) and security updates now sidestep Windows Update and are installed to all versions of Windows 10 without warning.

4) Privacy -If the enforcement policies were tough, however, they have nothing on the privacy violations  in the Windows 10 EULA. A notable section reads:

“We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary.”

Needless to say “necessary” is a crucial qualifier, but that all comes down to trust – and there’s not a great deal of that going.

5) Ease of Use -  Windows 10 is never going to be as intuitive to use as Win7.

6) Lost Features
  - Windows Media Center which is a mainstay in some home media setups,
  - no native DVD playback
  - no desktop gadgets
  - no floppy drive support.
  - no free games they have been removed and are avail from the Windows Store with payment required to remove ads

7) Broadband Hog –  the new OS uses a peer-to-peer (p2p) update distribution system called ‘Windows Update Delivery Optimization’ (WUDO). basically By default, Windows 10 turns your PC into a server for distributing updates to other machines.

ummm WTF?

Evil Microsnot wants to use MY machine like a TORRENT SERVER  !?!?!  The ramifications and legal liabilities on the user
are enormous. I will be held liable for any transmissions from my machine even if I have nothing to do with it. For example see those who allowed torrent servers on their PC and  who were targeted by Law Enforcement  for music distribution.

finally Microsnot has openly stated that ‘Windows as a service’ is the platform’s future,  it opens up the future of charging for add-ons. This can be as small as Solitaire and Windows DVD Player but can scale up to bigger features they can and will push to users through Windows 10’s mandatory upgrades. Suddenly a new feature appears on your machine that you have to pay to use - and good luck getting rid of it.
--------------------------
I for one, am planning to go buy Macs for the house. an iPad for my wife, and a Mac "brick" for a PC.
Anything else I need will be migrated to Ubuntu Linux.

yours in sadness
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline wildman1

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
Re: WINDOWS 10
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 03:36:04 AM »
Sounds like the tip of the iceburg. wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 10:17:16 AM »
Sounds like the instrument of "Big Brother". Total media control of the proles to prevent the dissemination of anything other than the 'Big Lie' in order to  propagate the efficacy of the Thought Police, The Ministry of Truth, etc.

I say this tongue in cheek, but anyone familiar with the premise of Orwell's "1984" will understand. I will now loosen the chin strap of my tinfoil Stetson .....
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:06:40 PM »

Offline LostVaquero

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 09:48:16 AM »
I refuse to use Windows 10 for any reason. 

Of course, I now seldom use a Windows machine at all.  OS X running on Macs is much more stable. 

Offline dwight55

• Top Active Citizen
    • Dwight's Leather Shop
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015, 01:54:52 PM »
Since I got an I phone and an I pad, . . . next logical choice of course is the I computer..................

Don't really want to go there, . . . may just shut the whole thing down.

May God bless,
Dwight
If you can breathe:  thank God

If you can read:  thank a teacher

If you can read this in English:  thank a Veteran

Offline Presidio

• Jack of all Trades
  • Top Active Citizen
  • One Riot - One Ranger
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 03:24:50 PM »
They had to drag me kicking and screaming from my XP to Windows 7.  A lot of my Office XP wouldn't work on 7 and had to re-write a bunch of important electrical estimating programs in Excel I had.   Lost many documents in Word and PDF in the process.

They try to force me into 10....they better come loaded to bear.

SASS # 40582 ~ BOLD H30 ~ RO I & RO II
Texas Regulators, Tomball, TX
Texas Historical Shooting Society, Columbus, TX

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 04:49:21 PM »
Just went Mac myself. when I picked this one up, my Tech said he put W10 on one machine to see what it's like. Said people better wait awhile before putting it on. Myself, got tired of Micro-craps problems ::) :-\
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1155
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2015, 05:51:52 PM »
Latest glitch is a messed-up automatic update putting the thing in an infinite loop.
yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Johnson Barr

• Berger Sharpshooters, KVC, Blue River Regulators #129, Johnson County Rangers, GAF
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NRA Life, TSRA Life, NCOWS Life, NCOWS Merchant
    • J Barr Texas
  • NCOWS #: L-173
  • GAF #: 830
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 12:25:20 PM »
My brother's free download burned 3/4's of his 20 gig data plan. Don't cha' dust luv dim Gates's!
"Peace is that glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading"  -Thomas Jefferson

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
I keep telling it no on the free update, but it keeps asking. All these changes seem totally not needed to me, there's really nothing I do with my computer today that I couldn't do on my first one, a windows 98. Only thing was, the sucker was just wore out and kept crashing/locking up. Then wore out a wal mart special with XP, now got a laptop with 7 on it.

Offline Mike

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 11:14:09 PM »
Bring back 98.
XP was a night mare.
if it were not for being able to communicate with people all over the world and i have friends the US, Canada and Europe i would dump the lot.
As stated more than half the new stuff after 98 is not used by people. I got sick of up grade and then not ben able to find or use programs.
I may have to get the goose feathers out again.
Buffalochip

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com