Author Topic: Original Spencer Rife and Carbine FOR SALE at Dave Taylor's Antiques  (Read 2722 times)

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Hello SSS,

Dave Taylor's Antiques has two Spencers FOR SALE - One is a Spencer Rifle with double set triggers, and the other a Spencer Carbine.  Scroll down to find each Spencer.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/1507webcat.html

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Offline clyde

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Original Spencer Rife and Carbine FOR SALE at Dave Taylor's Antiques
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2015, 01:44:49 AM »
The carbine is nice. I did not know of Spencer "officers carbines" commercial sales during the CW.
All this stuff is pushing me to go to the range today with me beloved Spencer carbine and my blakeslee box !
Cheers everybody !!
Clyde
Clyde - Spencer Shooter SSS 57

Online Two Flints

• Spencer Shooting Society Founder & Moderator
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Moderating SSS IS a "Labor of Love"!
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 06:59:44 AM »
Clyde,

How are you?  PLease if you are able to post or send me a photo of your Spencer WITH Blakeslee.

Thank you,

Two Flints

Una mano lava l'altra
Moderating SSS is a "labor of love"
Viet Vet  '68-69
3/12 - 4th Inf Div
Spencer Shooting Society Moderator
Spencer Shooting Society (SSS) #4;
BOSS #62
NRA; GOAL; SAM; NMLRA
Fur Trade Era - Mountain Man
Traditional Archery

Advertising

Offline clyde

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 08:13:53 AM »
OK Two Flints,
Wifey is gong to take a picture of me in full dress and I'll post it or send  it to you this evening or tomorrow.
Cheers !
Clyde - Spencer Shooter SSS 57

Offline Walksfire

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2015, 04:00:46 PM »
Hello SSS,

Dave Taylor's Antiques has two Spencers FOR SALE - One is a Spencer Rifle with double set triggers, and the other a Spencer Carbine.  Scroll down to find each Spencer.

http://www.angelfire.com/oh3/civilwarantiques/1507webcat.html

Two Flints

I know the recent history of second Spencer Carbine that is listed on that site. It is the one that got me interested in Spencers in the first place.

It belonged to a Vietnam vet for over 40 years since 1875. He was working part time at a Gun store in MD, when this old lady came into the store with it. Her husband had died and she was cleaning up the house and wanted to get rid of it. She sold it for $50 to him, as she was willing to give it away, to get it out of the house.  He bought a centerfire conversion kit and some bullets from a place in Tucson Arizona. Never did fire it or install the conversion kit.

Two years ago he brought into a FFL that is a friend of mine to have it appraised. The exterior metal was rusty and pitted as was the bore. The wood had a nice dark coffee patina, but there was a serious 6 inch crack in the stock that you could put a nickel in. It sat for a year in the gun safe and would be brought out occasionally for people that were interested in it. I thought that round site on the end was ugly. Finally 6 months ago another guy promised to take it to a Re-enactment in the Shenandoah valley to see if he could sell it. He Also placed pics of it on Arms list for $3500. A couple months went by and the price was lowered to 3K. The guy was going to get 10% of the selling price. He told the owner that it was sold and gave him $2500.  So imagine my surprise to see it show up at Dave Taylor's site, with a hell of a back story about being owned by an Officer that was a commercial buy and no paper trail. About fell out of my chair reading that. It is a wall hanger that has been cleaned up and it is suggested to put the cracked side towards the wall. The minty bore must mean that someone poured Pine Sol and a bore snake down that barrel to smell like that.

All in all, I am glad that I got an education about that rifle originally. It helped me to set out on a quest to find a better condition non-cracked stock with rifling that could be used to shoot for half the price.  

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com