Author Topic: Best "Wyatt Earp" movie  (Read 5578 times)

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Best "Wyatt Earp" movie
« on: August 03, 2015, 08:33:58 PM »
Opinions on the best Earp movie ..... ?
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Will Ketchum

• Chief of Detectives
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Pete Ersland
  • SASS #: 4222
  • NCOWS #: 133
  • Liked:
Re: Best "Wyatt Earp" movie
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 08:50:40 PM »
Of the two most recent ones that I can think of (Tombstone & Wyatt Earp"  I would chose Tombstone hands down both for it's authentic clothing and gear and a semblance to historical facts as we know them.  Kurt Russel's portrayal of Earp was far better than Kevin Costner's. But I thought both Dennis Quaid & Val Kilmer did great jobs as Doc Holliday.

I'm not a Costner hater like many. I thought the gunfight in Open Range might be the best one in a Western, with actual misses and reloads.

Will Ketchum
Will Ketchum's Rules of W&CAS: 1 Be Safe. 2 Have Fun. 3  Look Good Doin It!
F&AM, NRA Endowment Life, SASS Life 4222, NCOWS Life 133.  USMC for ever.
Madison, WI

Offline Harley Starr

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2015, 08:59:12 PM »
Tombstone. When filmmakers actually pay attention to details it can go a long way with audiences.
A work in progress.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:52:28 AM »

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2015, 09:37:03 PM »
Deadwood season III

Offline buttebob

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »
 I've seen five movies about the gunfight. Tombstone is the best.

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 10:24:23 AM »
Best line in "Tombstone": "Hell's coming and I'm coming with it!"

I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline Daniel Dodge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2015, 10:48:40 AM »
I tried watching the Kevin Costner one, then I saw drop holsters and gave up.

Open Range is my favorite western by far. I love the pace of it and final gunfight is the best in any movie that I can recall.

Offline Stillwater

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2015, 11:23:10 AM »
Of the two most recent ones that I can think of (Tombstone & Wyatt Earp"  I would chose Tombstone hands down both for it's authentic clothing and gear and a semblance to historical facts as we know them.  Kurt Russel's portrayal of Earp was far better than Kevin Costner's. But I thought both Dennis Quaid & Val Kilmer did great jobs as Doc Holliday.

I'm not a Costner hater like many. I thought the gunfight in Open Range might be the best one in a Western, with actual misses and reloads.

Will Ketchum

The only bad thing about Kevin Costner's acting is his voice... It just doesn't fit in, with anything...!

I liked both movies, Costner's Wyatt Earp and Tombstone, with Kurt Russell.

Bill

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2015, 12:31:17 PM »
I knew Kurt when we were kids , not so well as to be tight friends but we mess around some.
His Dad was a friend of my Dad ...
Bing had been cast in Surfside 6 TV show...and my Dad was the Key Grip.  They were in Florida and dropped by my Folk's Key largo weekend place .

As a kid he was kinda full of himself as I recall ..he had done TV commercials I think for Mattel Toys.
We swam and played together and got along  pretty good that summer.

I was kinda proud of him and his future work.... I knew him when all that was in the future

The Kid I knew was Zero M     :)

https://search.yahoo.com/search;_ylt=AwrBT8Gg8sBVijsASUpXNyoA;_ylc=X1MDMjc2NjY3OQRfcgMyBGZyA3lteXktdC05OTkEZ3ByaWQDWE95a0txcUFRM2VLOEFqLjFvQi5xQQRuX3JzbHQDMARuX3N1Z2cDMTAEb3JpZ2luA3NlYXJjaC55YWhvby5jb20EcG9zAzIEcHFzdHIDa3VydCBydXNzZWxsIGNvbQRwcXN0cmwDMTYEcXN0cmwDMjMEcXVlcnkDa3VydCBydXNzZWxsIGNvbW1lcmNpYWwEdF9zdG1wAzE0Mzg3MDkwODY-?p=kurt+russell+commercial&fr2=sa-gp-search&fr=ymyy-t-999

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline PJ Hardtack

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2015, 06:13:58 PM »
The only bad thing about Kevin Costner's acting is his voice... It just doesn't fit in, with anything...!Bill

I thought he was excellent in "Dances With Wolves". Can't think of anyone else who could have done it better. I especially liked his narration.
Few movies have so well captured the romance of the post Civil War era and the tragedy of the plight of the Indians. The sense of impending doom and the end of a culture was inescapable.

The movie pulled no punches re: inter-tribal warfare and the lack of tolerance for the Indian way of life by encroaching civilization.

I've been to "Head Smashed-In Buffalo Jump" (a World Heritage site) west of Calgary a few times and discussed it with a Blackfoot interpreter. He thought it did a good job of representing the Plains Indian life style. Once his people became master horsemen, they no longer used the buffalo jump and hunted from horseback.

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2015, 05:38:38 PM »
My Darling Clemintine was how it should have been.  John Ford's depiction of the Earp brothers and their single minded approach to frontier justice, their determination to confront the Clantons has never been bettered. Henry Fonda portrayed Wyatt Earp as an iconic frontier Marshall in a career best. When the GATOKC is explained and analysed as a modern day CSI it loses it grandeur and mystique. Ford showed it as it should have been. My 2pennyworth.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com