Author Topic: To the "Point"  (Read 5001 times)

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
Re: To the "Point"
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2015, 06:54:41 AM »
Interesting reading, I'll need to follow that up and read more of the pages..thanks for posting
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Tsalagidave

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Dave Rodgers
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 61
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 02:39:25 AM »
I have 2-original Lakota arrows in my collection that my 3xgreat grandfather collected in the 1870s while living in the Nebraska family homestead.   The point is 2.5"  hand cut (classic side-notched) from sheet steel attached to a 24" reed shaft and bound with green-dyed horse hair.  As an archer myself, the shaft is abnormally short but practical when used at close range from a saddle perhaps using only a 30-40 lb. draw.  The reed shaft has had all spurs burned away to ensure a smooth, aerodynamic shaft. Having the point detach in flesh would be a really nasty experience.  Your chances of a lethal infection would be considerably high.

-Dave
Guns don't kill people; fathers with pretty daughters do.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:08:33 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 02:45:55 PM »
Personally, I would rather NOT be wounded by an arrow.  Actually, Idon't care to be wounded by ANYTHING.

Coffinmaker

Very interesting read by the way.

Offline Kent Shootwell

• Top Active Citizen
  • Got whiskey, will stumble.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 22
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 05:11:11 PM »
FCK, thanks for the interesting read. Maybe some one would know something about this arrow. It has a iron point attached by sinew to a wood shaft that has grooves cut length wise to the feathers that are mostly gone.

Little powder much lead shoots far kills dead.
Member, whiskey livers
AKA Phil Coffins, AKA Oliver Sudden

Offline Fox Creek Kid

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2016, 11:39:25 PM »
"Around 1840, the Lakota had fairly consistent access to iorn in the form of metal pots, the flat hoops from wooden barrels and wagon wheel rims. Some of that material was acquired in trade or after white people had discarded it. Iron was used by the Lakota to make knives, lance points, and arrowheads for hunting and warfare. The iron was either melted down or cut with a cold chisel or, if available, a hacksaw. The consistent availability of iron was a benefit to the Lakota because they could make knives and projectile points with it faster than ones from stone. (After 1850, the skill to make stone projectile points began to be a lost art.)...

P.98:  The Day the World Ended at Little Bighorn; Joseph M. Marshall III.

Now to get really serious:

https://archive.org/details/cihm_17444

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com