• Likes Given: 0
« on: July 29, 2015, 02:20:15 PM »

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
Re: model 12 featherlight
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2015, 04:11:49 PM »
They are legal BUT they don't have enough magazine capacity . I think they hold 4 rounds in the tube and a regular model 12 holds 6.  Dusty Boddams

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2015, 06:38:24 PM »
Yup, Dusty is correct (as always).  The Featherlite only holds four rounds in the magazine.

Advertising

Re: .
« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:18:16 PM »

Offline PJ Hardtack

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2015, 06:46:05 PM »
I had a M12 Featherlight once .... beautiful gun, but it kicked the crap out of me! Now I'm down to three standard models, two with Mod choke.
Took one to our CAS event , the wrong one  that didn't have the mag tube plug removed ..... next time ..... ;>)
"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to others and I require the same from them."  John Wayne

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2015, 02:11:23 PM »
Can you use these mini shells?  They are manufactured as short shells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506255579/aguila-minishell-ammunition-12-gauge-1-3-4-5-8-oz-7-1-2-shot

Well, on the page you reference, the manufacturer says this: "we would like to state once more that minishells will not cycle flawlessly in regular pump action shotguns"

I have yet to see anyone using an M12 Featherlite at a match.  We want you to enjoy Wild Bunch Action Shooting.  Since Featherlites tend to bring a premium, you might do well to work up a trade for a standard M12. 

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2015, 05:39:12 PM »
Hj, yes that's correct.  Great advice from August on swapping into a field grade or just buy a field grade and throw the featherweight  in the safe and wait for bird season. ;D a model 12 field grade is the shotgun for wild bunch.  Dusty Boddams

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2015, 08:09:07 PM »
The late model ones seem to be good guns. I've got a 2010 trench gun that I used until the model 12's became legal after that , well I get along better with the model 12's .  Dusty

Offline Goody

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2015, 10:17:49 AM »
Just a quick note, although you have gotten correct information. There is no requirement that you load any in the SG at the loading table, only that you MAY load at the loading table.

Offline Dusty Boddams

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2015, 02:06:10 PM »
Should not be a problem finding a good solid shotgun.  No reason to settle for junk and have it fixed. They built a lot of them for many years  and survival rate is high. Just keep looking a nice one will turn up. Lots on gunbroker from rough to new. There was/is one on the sass WB forum. Dusty

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 02:25:31 PM »
Howell,  what's your twenty?

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2015, 04:16:52 PM »
Well, on the page you reference, the manufacturer says this: "we would like to state once more that minishells will not cycle flawlessly in regular pump action shotguns"

I have yet to see anyone using an M12 Featherlite at a match.  We want you to enjoy Wild Bunch Action Shooting.  Since Featherlites tend to bring a premium, you might do well to work up a trade for a standard M12. 

I use an old '97. I found that cutting old split-necked AA shells to 2 3/8 inch. and roll crimping, I can load one more in the magazine, without any hiccups. I tried hulls cut off to 2 inches without success. The shorties seem to get lost when being flipped out of the mag., and finding the chamber was just a game of chance.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 06:15:03 PM »
I use an old '97. I found that cutting old split-necked AA shells to 2 3/8 inch. and roll crimping, I can load one more in the magazine, without any hiccups. I tried hulls cut off to 2 inches without success. The shorties seem to get lost when being flipped out of the mag., and finding the chamber was just a game of chance.

Go to Cabela's in Kansas City.  They almost always have model 12s.  Look for a field model and try to get one with a high serial number (+1,800,000).  They often have them for four Bens.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com