Author Topic: Stitching Groover  (Read 4234 times)

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Stitching Groover
« on: July 22, 2015, 09:05:24 AM »
My old Tandy stitching groover finally gave up the ghost. I was never content with the tool, so I am looking for suggestions on another brand or maker.

Offline Red Cent

• Top Active Citizen
    • Red Cent Custom Leather
  • Liked:
Re: Stitching Groover
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 07:21:53 PM »
I stopped using the groover. Not Tandy's but in general. I use a lot of white thread and if you get out of line just a tad, one cannot dye the groover. I switched to this. It will groove and crease.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pro-stitching-groover-set-leathercraft-88081-/291023376978

Life is too short to argue with stupid people and drink cheap booze
McLeansville, NC by way of WV
SASS29170L

Offline Grenadier

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 06:52:54 AM »
Thanks!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:40:44 PM »

Offline brenn

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2015, 08:35:20 AM »
I stopped using the groover. Not Tandy's but in general. I use a lot of white thread and if you get out of line just a tad, one cannot dye the groover. I switched to this. It will groove and crease.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/pro-stitching-groover-set-leathercraft-88081-/291023376978

I recently bought that same groover/creaser.  I still like to cut grooves, but with that one I can use it without the guide to cut groover of different shapes of decorative stitching, without using the edge guide.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 09:26:14 AM »
I recently bought that same groover/creaser.  I still like to cut grooves, but with that one I can use it without the guide to cut groover of different shapes of decorative stitching, without using the edge guide.
I have one groover made without the guide like that. It's really useful. You can groove along a straightedge, too.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Ten Wolves Fiveshooter

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Live To Fight Another Day
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 10:16:39 AM »
I have and use both the standard Tandy, and the new pro model, they both work well for me, I'm not totally use to the new pro, it's going to take a little more time for me to get use to it...

tEN wOLVES  ;D
NRA, SASS# 69595, NCOWS#3123 Leather Shop, RATTS# 369, SCORRS, BROW, ROWSS #40   Shoot Straight, Have Fun, That's What It's All About

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 89
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 11:06:11 AM »
I have several of the standard Tandy groovers setup for specific widths. The one I  use the most, I cut the slack off the cutter so it wouldn't drag on my work. I tried the pro, didn't like it and just took the guide off to use it either free hand or with a straight edge.
SASS #81,827

Offline ChuckBurrows

• Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Wild Rose Trading Company
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 12:35:49 PM »
I have several of the standard Tandy groovers setup for specific widths. The one I  use the most, I cut the slack off the cutter so it wouldn't drag on my work. I tried the pro, didn't like it and just took the guide off to use it either free hand or with a straight edge.
I have an old straight groover but other than that I've used the standard Tandy as Craig does now for over 50 years since the only real problem is the lock screw tends to strip the slot (that can be be fixed by replacing with one from the hardware store - I like the allen head types better than the slotted.

If you want the absolute best get one of Bob Douglas's from Sheridan Leather Works & Douglas Tools http://www.sheridanleather.com/searchresults.asp?cat=1844
Not cheap but it's the best of the best (used to have one but it got stolen years ago... >:( )
aka Nolan Sackett
Frontier Knifemaker & Leathersmith

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com